“Great for the price!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #12 of 27 Hotels in Wells
Albany, New York
“Great for the price!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012

My husband and I and my parents rented cabins #8 and #9 at the Coastal Village Inn this weekend. The office staff and cleaning staff that I met was extremely friendly and helpful. We chose this hotel because it was one of a few that allowed dogs (which we consider part of our family). Unlike other places that we have stayed that have made us feel like criminals for wanting to bring our pets, the Coastal Village in was very accommodating, even going as far as to offer a blanket, biscuits and cleaning towel to our puppy. While dogs are allowed, the property and cottages were still very clean. We have stayed in numerous cabins in Maine and they are all the same. They may be outdated, but that is the nature of a quaint Maine cottage. For the price, these cottages were very clean and served our purposes as a place to sleep between going to the beach and eating seafood. The only request that I would have is to maybe add AC to all of the cottages. It was an unusually hot and humid weekend. The fans helped but AC would be better. Overall, we had a great trip and enjoyed the cottage very much. We hope to come back soon!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
thetjd, Owner at The Coast Village Inn & Cottages, responded to this review, August 28, 2012
Kristen. Thank you for your kind words. It is important to note, that we only have certain units we allow pets in. I don't want people thinking we allow pets in all our rooms. We have five of, what we call "overnight cottages". These cottages are very small, only large enough for 2 people and they are the least expensive of our units, because of the size and because they are the only units we cannot put a/c in at this time. It is an electrical requirement that would be very much cost prohibitive. We have 30 units and these 5 are the only ones without it, so I might suggest that you upgrade to a unit with a/c on your next visit. It is very clear on our website that these units don't have a/c, that is why it is somewhat surprising to see someone mention it as if it should have been included. I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us. We do many improvements every year. We hope to have you again!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012

After having a wonderful time here last year my family couldn't wait to come back. To our great disappointment it wasn't the wonderful welcoming stay that we had remembered. Me, still being a “neat freak” I can tell you that for the most part it was clean. Yes even the air conditioner was very clean just as Taylor had noted in another response. In my rating for cleanliness please note that if it weren't for a couple things it would have been excellent. There were a few things that needed a little work. The bedrooms and bathroom were both spotless!!!! But on the plus side the beds were better than last year and the water temperature while showering didn't fluctuate as drastically as last year. The owners care deeply about this property but I'm not so sure about the rest of the staff. Oh just in case you need 2 dresser's there is only 1 in cabin #4.

Room Tip: If you need A/C make sure you get the larger cottages or a room in the hotel.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Mindy stayed with us last year. We ran out of hot water because our oil company dropped the ball. We were out for maybe a little over an hour. Although this is no fault of our own, we know that we must try to keep our customers happy, so last year my manager decided to give her daily service in the housekeeping cottage she rented. This is something that we do not, and have never done in these cottages. Generally, when you rent a cottage, we provide all that you need for the week and change out your towels and garbage only daily. I believe she came back this year expecting the same treatment, so I am assuming my manager last year did not explain that she was taking "extra good" care of her last year. Either way, this was a miscommunication that may have set a bad tone. She called my wife directly a while after her stay and let her know what her complaints were and we did the only thing we could, which was apologize and offer her some kind of discount for her next stay with a promise of a different experience. I don't know if she is coming back, but we would be happy to have the opportunity to get her back to happy!
west rutland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

No other motels in the area had vacancies, but this one did have one room, that should have told me something, But I had stayed here several years ago and it was acceptable at that time, so I took the room for 2 nights. I knew there was no smoking in the room, but also knew it had entrance to outside so expected to be able to step outside to smoke. They claimed Maine law prohibits smoking within 20 feet of building and required LONG walk to smoking area by the pool. I checked Maine smoking laws. There is no such prohibition. Info on their signs is just a lie, a blatant lie to inconvenience guests. Free wifi was advertised, but I could not get a connection. I had to go to the office, quite a walk, but no one answered phone when I tried to call and have them reboot their system to get a connection, but that was a waste of time. slowest internet connection I have ever experienced. Took 90 seconds or more to load the simplest pages. Even slower than dial-up. And to plug in the laptop required climbing up over the entertainment center to get to a plug in. Easier to use my iphone with 3G than my laptop. with their wifi. The bed was awful, big crevice in the center and my husband and I kept falling into it. Gravity made it impossible to stay on either side of the bed. Air conditioner is in a window in a small useless room between the bedroom and bathroom. Cools that room nicely, but very poor job of cooling the sleeping area. The grout in the tile behind the ghastly Pepto Bismol pink sink hasn't been cleaned in years, the outside bottom of the shower stall had fungus growing on it. Nowhere in the shower to put a bar of soap or bottle of shampoo. Heck, they could buy a 99 cent suction cup soap dish, TV must have been 25 years old. Less than 19". I can''t remember last time I watched a screen so small. Very high, too high of a step up into the room. With a drink or 2, it would be dangerous. The price of the room was $80 a night, about $20 cheaper than most similar motels in the area and the location was perfect for us, right there on Route 1 and close to restaurants and stores. All I can say, is you have a choice, any other choice in the area, take it. You couldn't do worse.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
, Owner at The Coast Village Inn & Cottages, responded to this review, July 10, 2012
This is a typical review written by an angry smoker. We have gone way out of our way to make our smoking policies clear, on our site, in our office and on the phone. You need to smoke in the smoking area only and of course it is Maine state law that you cannot smoke within 20 feet of a structure. This person did not look into anything. I'm sorry she had to walk 50 feet to smoke, but she could have stayed some place that didn't care about their other customers very easily. Unfortunately, some smokers just feel entitled to smoke where ever they want and of course throw their cigarette butts all over my property, including our flower pots and lawn, thinking of course that magical ferries come to pick them up in the night. If you don't like the smoking policy, stay some where else. To show how far off this lady is, she mentioned how dirty the grout was in the bathroom - these are vinyl panels with fake tile imprints in them. THERE IS NO GROUT! and of course it is clean, as we keep our rooms very clean.
Weymouth, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2012

We had a pleasant stay here for one night. It was our first time in the area and the location of the Inn is very convenient but on the main road. The staff is very friendly and the pool is great. The rooms are not the fanciest but I would say it is what I would expect for under $100. This is a good place to stay if you are on a budget or just need to crash for a night. I wouldn't recommend staying for several days as a summer vacation destination.

Room Tip: Get a room in the back, away from the road to avoid traffic noise.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Almost all the motels in Wells are along route 1. Many of them being much closer to the road than any of my units. The building with the most units is our back motel and it is farther away from the road. I think that this review is a little insulting to the many families that come and stay with us very happily every year for a week or more. I believe we have more than many hotels in this area and have gone our of our way to make sure that we do. We have open acreage for playing volley ball, catch, frisbee, you name it. We have a great beach entry pool made for children to be safe and enjoy playing in the water. We have gas grills, free of charge, for all our guests. We provide coffee in the morning and we are close to most things you would want to see in the area. This person may not have been aware of the fact that we have many different kinds of accommodations, including cottages with kitchens and some suites. Come stay with us. You won't regret it.
Ewing, New Jersey
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2012

I stayed one night at this hotel (thank goodness only ONE...) and though it was clean, the place is very outdated. Carpet and furniture were reasonably new, however walls and ceiling look like they've been there since the 1960's, as did the wall panelling and sink in the bathroom. The overall effect was just "ick!" Having said that, I actually found the bed, with it's pillow top mattress, quite comfortable, though it did sag a bit.
Now, on to the really bad part... my first awakening, at 12 midnight, was when the clock alarm went off. I was asleep at this point and this was a RUDE awakening. Couldn't figure how to shut the alarm off so unplugged it. Sorry, but making sure the alarm is not set should be part of the task of whoever cleans the rooms. And for it to go off at midnight - I feel the previous visitor did this as a mean joke. Second awakening was around 2 am when the heat register began making noises that sounded very like someone outside my room trying to get in. I looked, no one was there - it WAS the heat register. Hard to sleep when you hear sounds like this (squeaks and banging).
The amenities consisted of one bar of soap and plastic cups - there were no haircare products or kleenex and only one electrical outlet I could use for my hair dryer, and was not able to see my reflection in the mirror when drying my hair.
Overall, I would consider this place a LAST resort if all others in town are sold out... worst part was as I drove through town I saw places that looked much nicer for lower prices. My bad for making reservations online and not investigating more. Do yourself a favor and stay somewhere else - ANYWHERE else.

Room Tip: There appeared to be a newer building behind the one I was in; maybe those rooms are better than the...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
The room that this lady is speaking about is a room in our front motel. This building is a bit older than the rest of our estate. These rooms are priced very reasonably for what they are. We have much more modern rooms in the back motel, but of course, this person did not want to pay for one of those rooms. I'm sure if this person owned a motel, she would replace walls and ceilings for no reason, but we don't.
There is an outlet directly above the mirror in the bathroom on the light fixture. If she had any problems, again, she could have let us know and we would have fixed them.
I have never heard the complaint about the heating system being noisy. I will look into that right away. We have photos and full descriptions of all our accommodations on our site and we do that so that people know exactly what they are getting when they check in. I do not like to hear of a guest having a bad stay with us, but if you don't offer us an opportunity to address your complaints, then people feel a lot more comfortable complaining anonymously and I do not think that is fair to business owners like me and my wife who have worked so hard on this property to make it what it is. There are always things to do, but we cannot, for obvious reasons, do them all at one time.
Shanghai, China
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2012

I usually skip writing a poornreview ofna hotelnor restaurant if the service I received helped to make up for the establishment's shortcomings. However, I feel compelled to share my experiences given the unhealthy conditions of the room at the Coast Village Inn. The beds were quite old, which I halfway expected given that this is a roadside motel. However, the carpet and bedding was also far past it's prime, and made me feel squirmish about walking barefoot around the room, so allowing my kids to sit on the bedspread. Worst of all was the room's air quality. The day was hot >90 degrees) so we needed the air conditioner. It too was old and moldy! We didn't really realize how bad it was until the next day when the whole family was stuffed up. My kids are still coughing five days later.

On the positive side, the staff was friendly, the morning coffee was good, and the pool was new and well maintained. I would not stay here again, however.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
The first sentence of this review is very interesting, considering that this woman never complained to any of my staff about any kind of "shortcomings". We always go out of our way to remedy any problems people may have, quickly. After reading this review, I double checked my rooms. I have always been a stickler with my staff to make sure that my a/c units are super clean, and they all are. There is absolutely no chance that there was a dirty moldy a/c unit in her room. This is incredibly insulting to me because of the effort that we put into the cleanliness of our rooms. All of our carpets were professionally cleaned on June 12th, right on schedule. Our rooms all went through a thorough deep cleaning on June 20th. I'm not sure if this person actually stayed at our motel.
Milford, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2012

Great family accomodations with pool, cookout area, field for children's games. Friendly, efficient staff. Close to everything: beaches, shopping, great restaurants.

Room Tip: All rooms great
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

Been to The Coast Village Inn & Cottages? Share your experiences!