“This Lobster missed the boat!” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #17 of 62 Restaurants in Wells
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Rotterdam, New York
“This Lobster missed the boat!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

We went to Mike's Clam shack on the recommendation of some friends. They said it was where all the locals eat. I ordered the lobster roll and my husband got chowder. The lobster roll was just that -- lobster meat in a roll. No mayo, celery, onion, or seasonings. Just pieces of lobster meat in a pretty small frankfurter roll. There were a decent size portion of french fries which were nothing special either. No cole slaw, pickles, etc., accompanied the meal. I had a much better lobster roll in Kittery at the Weathervane. Since we were only in Maine for a few days I was disappointed that I spent one of my evenings at a not so great restaurant. When the waiter asked how my meal was I told him honestly, "It's nothing special." I could tell he wasn't happy with my response and promptly left. I certainly won't be recommending Mike's to my friends.

Visited August 2013

Wells, Maine
“Mike's”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

9/2/2013
Just got back from dinner at Mike's. We've been going there for many years. We first found The Clam Shack when it was south on rte1 where the Clam Shanty is now, We have always loved the food and the friendly service in both locations and have returned time and time again, Tonight however, was our first bad experience and I hope it was just an " off night". I ordered baked stuffed haddock with "Shack potato", the potato was described as potato with bits of onion, peppers, sour cream. I received a side dish of mushy cubes of potato with nothing in it. Very bland with no flavor and not appetizing at all. The stuffing on the haddock was a splotch of wet bread stuff plopped in the middle of a casserole with the haddock floating in moisture. So disappointing and not at all like I've had there many times before. Couldn't eat it in spite of asking for tartar sauce (after finally standing up and getting the attention of the overworked waitress). I think they are trying to feed so many people now, that the quality of the food has suffered. This restaraunt is always very very crowded and popular. So sorry to have to post this honest evaluation.

• Visited September 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Cranston, RI
“Don't Miss Their Lobster Stew!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

Best lobster stew ever! And, it's gluten free! Went to Mike's based on other TripAdvisor reviews for their lobster rolls (minus the roll, because of the gluten...), and yes, they are terrific - great big chunks of lobster. But, their lobster stew is the best stew I have ever had - again, great big chunks of lobster. On a three day visit to the area, five of my eight meals were from Mike's - that's how good they were. Dine in (great lobster value before 4 p.m.) or take out, you can't go wrong.

• Visited August 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Niagara NY
“Lobster Mac and cheese”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

The Lobster mac and cheese was oh so good. We want to thank one the locals for inviting us to sit at her table in the Bar area and then giving us the "tip" that we could order our dinner there.
No more 20 to 30 minute wait for our table. We enjoyed our food to sound of good tunes and the attention of a great waitress.

• Visited August 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Walpole, New Hampshire
“another great one”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

There is always a line at Mike's but you can sit in the bar area - there's lots of room and the service and food is just as great without the long wait. You won't walk out hungry !

Visited September 2013