“I love the Lobster...” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #27 of 62 Restaurants in Wells
Good for: Doing business, Families with children, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Large groups, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Breakfast, Dessert, Dinner, Lunch, Buffet, Late Night, Reservations, Takeout
Kittery Point, Maine
“I love the Lobster...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

And so will you too! They have a great salad bar with home made soups and fresh rolls that go well with the tasty butter. I like the drinking bar the best for atmosphere but the rest of the place could use some updating. Service can be really good but lacks a bit when they get busy in the summer. The place is big and has lots of capacity, so it takes over flow from the more famous Maine Diner across the street. But for the most part you will always get a table, but you just might have to wait a bit to place your order once you are seated.

Visited October 2013

Framingham, MA
“An OK meal”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

We ate this past August at the Bull n Claw. The wait was lengthy and we expected that the popularity was justified. Unfortunately the meal did not live up to expectation. In an area with outstanding seafood opportunities, the meal was so so. The rolls were stale, the service slow, and the salad bar (which was supposed to be the big draw) was tired and sparse. The waitress was very pleasant and did her best to make the meal enjoyable (she could not speed up the kitchen). Given the number of outstanding seafood restaurants in the Wells/Ogunquit area, I would choose another place for seafood.

Visited August 2013
Toronto
“Worth the drive!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

Just south of Kennebunk, Maine in Wells on Route 1 you will find a quaint restaurant that serves up great food at great prices.Six of us dined here on a Saturday afternoon and enjoyed the experience tremendously. The portions and pricing were bot generous. I had the two foot long lobster roll and could not finish it from shear size. Others had a great baked haddock and some the seafood platters. I had visited this location five years before and drove along Route 1 from Boston knowing I would find it. Well worth the drive! for the naysayers in other reviews I wonder if we were at the same restaurant. This was a great afternoon.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
New York
“Dinner is not worth the trip”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

I have gone here several times for breakfast Found the food to be good and the service for a buffett to be excellent . However will not ever go back for dinner. They advertise a salad bar. The quality and choices were limited . Had they offered a salad with dinner it would have been a better choice. The soups wee off in a corner that you had to look for and tasted bland No salt or pepper could help. The limited dinner specials included salad bar ALL others were $4 dollars additional. for the salad. We had the specials Now we know why Portion size was limited went back for additional salad after eating dinner . Service was not bad since extra staff was present as they were expecting a bus. I felt like meeting the bus and telling them to move on. We will not return even if I had aFREE coupon

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
BullnClaw, Owner at Bull and Claw Restaurant, responded to this review, October 19, 2013
First of all, may I say thank you for taking the time write your review. I’m sorry the experience left you unfulfilled! We take great pride in ensuring food quality and safe handling practices - to ensure that every customer has an enjoyable experience.
If there is a problem most people don't make it known, and most owners don't care... as long as they get that buck. I do care! or I wouldn't be responding to your review.
Over the years (40 of them) I've noticed some things about the restaurant business. There are many variables when food is prepared in house and fresh. Unlike most restaurants we avoid processed, precooked, prepackaged and frozen foods, (it's real food) and sometimes things happen.
There is never a valid excuse for a poor experience, however... my guests need to understand that timing is everything. Unfortunately, Columbus Day weekend is the hardest time for all of us in seasonal areas. We have lost all of our summer help, and we have to staff as best we can. Trust me if I knew that the 2013 Columbus Day Weekend would have seen the biggest crowds of the season, things would have been different.

My humblest apologies! I look forward to serving you again.
Daryl (owner since 1972)
Leominster, Massachusetts, United States
“Never Again”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

The plastic menu was sticky and dirty. Not a good choice for "Bull" part of the restaurant if you are looking for a steal, only sirloin steak and one ribeye steak (with shrimp garlic butter sauce????) Service was ok. Will probably never go back.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere