“Great service and wonderful food” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #8 of 59 restaurants in Wells
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Steakhouse
Dining options: Dinner, Dessert
Glens Falls
“Great service and wonderful food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2010

Wait staff is freindly and the food can't be beat. Great for family or couples alike.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

83% Recommend
CT
“OMG--Food is Fabulous!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2010

The most incredibly tender, flavorful filet mignon I've ever tasted--I could cut it with the side of my fork! My favorite is the Roast Duck, served with Raspberry Sauce. The outer skin is sooooooo crispy, and the meat is savory, but not gamey, and not the least bit greasy. (Steakhouse has spoiled me, because I love duck, but now I don't want to eat it anywhere else.) Great choices of sides; their homemade baked beans are the best anywhere--the real New England thing! I highly recommend their original House Potato--better than any baked potato I've ever had! Prices are beyond reasonable considering you're in a massive summer tourist spot. There's usually a wait, sometimes up to an hour, but that's to be expected in July and August. The fact that dozens of people will wait for that long shows was a great restaurant it is! While waiting, there's an upstairs and a downstairs bar so you can enjoy a pre-dinner drink, and do some mingling with some of the other customers. Sports channels are featured on the in-house TV's, I just wish they'd put on the closed captioning for those who want to follow the games.

Sheldon
“Delicious steak, well worth the wait”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2010

This steakhouse is always busy. A wait of an hour is not uncommon but the meal was well worth the wait. The waitstaff was friendly and efficient. The ribeye steak was very tender and flavorful. It came with two sides and we ordered the potato casserole and baked beans and both were delicious. We also had the beef barley soup as an appetizer and it was very flavorful and loaded with beef.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Cumberland, Rhode Island
“Love the Food - Wish Management Was Better”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2010

We have been going to Maine for decades and have been eating at this restaurant for as long. The food is excellent. I can't say one bad thing about it. Steaks are excellent, quantities are large and usually the waitstaff is excellent too.

The one area I think they could improve on is the attitude of management, as well as the wait times. For the last 6 times we've gone there, the wait time they tell us (and it's usually at least an hour) has never been correct. When I eat at other steakhouses where there is typically a long wait, I NEVER wait longer than the time they tell us. So if it's a 60-minute wait, I'm seated in no later than 60 minutes -- usually in 45 or 50. But here, they're consistently wrong. If they tell us it's a 55 minute wait, it's 75 minutes. I don't recall this being the case in the past, but they seem to consistently do this now. I now tell my kids to tack 15 -20 minutes onto the time they tell us. But I don't understand why they can't do a better job. After making your customers wait for an hour, why do you want to spoil the experience by making them wait an additional 15 or 20 minutes. The one time I complained about this I was told that they've been doing this a long time and I got the attitude that they didn't really care. I really got the impression that because they're so busy, if we don't like it we can go elsewhere.

The other thing I don't like about the place is all the fans/window air conditioners they have that blow right on you. Some tables are fine. Others have the fan right overhead or on the side. Not only can this be cold for those tables, it also dries your eyes out because it's blowing right in them. When we recently asked to lower the fan, the waitress said she can't touch the fans and all she could do was tell a manger. But she didn't go and tell him. She just continued going about her business. I had to specifically ask that she go get someone. And the person who came over, finally, after 15 minutes of waiting, was not all that nice. He did lower the fan but really didn't say anything to us. Again, I got the impression that management really doesn't care whether you like it or not because they have so many people waiting for your table anyway.

You can't tell me there's not a better way to cool off your restaurant.

Will I go back to The Steakhouse? Probably -- my kids love it too. However, I probably won't go as often as I have in the past or as often as I would if I felt that others besides the waitstaff were actually providing excellent service.

In closing, I would suggest to the management to be careful. One never knows when you'll wish for those customers you didn't treat well.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Brockville
“Best Steak I've eaten in years....and worth the wait if you have to!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2010

We visited this steakhouse, located on Post Rd, in Wells, Maine during our recent vacation to the area. On our last night, we decided about 3:45 p.m. to treat ourselves to dinner, and called looking for a reservation. (It was a Friday night). We had heard great things about the place during the previous days. The lovely lady who took our call informed us that they did not take reservations. The restaurant opened at 4 pm, and if we got there between 4 and 4:30 we might get a table right away, otherwise it would likely be an hours wait. We got dressed for dinner quickly and headed right over! We got in straight away. Great atmosphere - old barn - two levels, lots of seating but not too noisy! Server met us as soon as we were seated, took drink orders, etc. Super friendly! Orders taken quickly, food came quick. DELICIOUS!!! Steak was cooked to perfection, house pototoes were scrumptious!! Good wine, great food. It was clear that this was an area favourite - and people expect the wait - and don't mind one bit!! Large bar area on lowest level to have a few glasses of wine while you wait. Very quick turnaround - but they don't rush you out the door if you don't want to be in a hurry! Haven't had a steak that good in years!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Been to The Steakhouse? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage The Steakhouse, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.