“Dissapointed in value and poor beer selection” 3 of 5 stars

Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #15 of 62 Restaurants in Wells
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children, Bar scene, Large groups, Doing business, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Entertaining clients, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Dining
Description: Casual, Comfortably Elegant Chef Inspired Restaurant with a Nautical flare.
“Dissapointed in value and poor beer selection”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

Food was good, but considering they call themselves an ale house , the house beer selection was not good. In addition, we ordered twin lobsters for my son and I ( which I would think was for 2) but was not since they charged a $10 plate fee and we paid more than if we had ordered 2 lobster entrées. My son and I likes the lobsters, but to think I paid more and got less doesn't make me happy.

• Visited August 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Ann Arbor, Michigan, United States
“Second Trip - Disappointment”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

My wife and I spend our summer vacation in Wells every year as we have a house in town. The quality of the restaurants in the area is typically very good with a few exceptions. Those that don't measure up typically turn over when the summer season begins the following year.

We had visited the BIA once before in 2012 and enjoyed virtually everything about the dinner. Food quality, service, and atmosphere all measured up. Prices aren't inexpensive, but we felt that the relative value was reasonable. This summer, we decided to go again. We visited them the week of July 28th. As is customary with a larger party (six), we called ahead were put on the list (note: not a reservation per se). When we arrived, we were asked to wait in the waiting area which is comfortable but somewhat cramped. This was a bit odd given the fact that there were quite a few empty tables that would accommodate a party of our size. We ended up waiting to be seated for just over 30 minutes.

The service was slow from the beginning and never improved. She was friendly, but we never felt that her time was another more than the most basic level of attention. We had to flag her down on a number of occasions so that she could take care of basic services. Re-filling water glasses and ordering another drink from the bar required us to initiate service. Frustrating.

The single-greatest disappointment was the food. Three of the six folks ordered the baked stuffed haddock. We immediately noticed it was overcooked from the get-go. Those portions that were not covered by the seafood stuffing were hard and dry as a bone. We each took our knives and forks and carved off what represented probably about 20-25% of the fish, setting it aside as it was overcooked. This was as the waitress was still presenting other dishes to our party. My wife delicately pointed out that that the fish appeared over-cooked which prompted the reply that they "usually do a great job and the diners seem to love the dish". Hmmmmm. The rest of the fish was buried under the seafood stuffing that appeared to lack something: much in the way of seafood. Our plates at the end of the meal clearly reflected those of unsatisfied customers who had to pick their way through the meal. Waitress never came back to ask how the meal was going as I'm guessing that she sensed our feedback would be fair at best. As such, we had to ask another server to re-fill our water glassed. No more drinks from the bar, I guess. When the check came, she placed it down on the table and walked away. Wow.

The long and the short of it is that I felt "taken". I met up with my sisters and in-laws the next day and shared with them our experience. I’m have no interest in sharing this with others aside from the fact that we ended up paying for a meal that was clearly over-priced given what they provided and made no remedy to make things right; in a seasonal market such as southern Maine, businesses that cater to tourists have a limited number of opportunities to “get it right”. I have no problem spending money in town for good food and good service. Barnacle Billy's in Perkins Cove, Billy's along Mile Road in Wells, Mike's Clamshack are among others that consistently deliver both. If you're going to pay roughly $200 it should be worth it. BIA simply failed.

• Visited July 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Boston area
“Excellent choice for reasonable tab”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

Food was great, portions huge, price reasonable. doesn t look like much from the street, venture in because the food was very good.

Visited July 2013
Wells, Maine
“Great Prime Rib and even better SERVICE!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013

We often take our out of town guests to BIA because we KNOW we can expect great food and outstanding service in a pleasant atomosphere and our recent visit was no exception...We ALL had the Prime Rib special, which was PERFECT and SO reasonably priced and our server, Sarah couldn't have been more accommodating! Thanks, Sarah and everyone at BIA that makes this restaurant a SURE thing!

• Visited August 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Latham, New York
“Better then expected”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

Looking at it from the street, it doesn't look like much. We expected it to look like a brew pub inside. We were pleasantly surprised. It is very upscale inside. The waitstaff were very friendly and extremely accomadating for kids. They brought over toys and little books to keep them occupied. They also made my daughter homemade mac and cheese for a dinner at the kids menu price. I had the lobster mac and cheese. It was an appetitizer but it was very large. It was very good. Lots of lobster for 14.00. I also got a ceasar salad. This I was not crazy about. My husband got the lobster ravioli. He said they were very good. The burgers looked amazing! Prices were avaerage. I would come again and try the burgers. Great place to go with kids to have a nice meal. Also has many options other then the standard lobster or fried seafood.

• Visited July 2013