“A must” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 19 things to do in Wells
Activities: Hiking, Group tours/train, Walking
More attraction details
Owner description: The Wells Reserve at Laudholm is an estuarine research reserve with its headquarters listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The site is open every day from 7 am to sunset, with miles of trails and dozens of educational programs for everyone from K to gray. The Wells Reserve is funded by a member-supported nonprofit, Laudholm Trust, and the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration. Visit our website for details on activities and keep in touch through all of our social channels. Find 27 other National Estuarine Research Reserves around the country, from Alaska to Florida, along the Pacific and Atlantic coasts, on the Great Lakes, and even Puerto Rico.
New York City, New York
7 attraction reviews
“A must”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012

Absolutely loved this peaceful place. We stopped there for the bird banding, and learned a lot. They have wonderful educational expositions and trails.

Boston, Massachusetts
“Nice Place but Worst Mosquitoes on Earth!!!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2012

Came here in late August. The trails are well marked and maintained. The beach is lovely but... they should warn you about the mosquitoes and no-see-ums. I've been to some pretty bad places mosquito-wise (like camping in a dense forest at night) but this is the worse place I have ever encountererd.
We started walking a trail and within minutes we were attacked all over by super aggressive mosquitoes. I had five or six sucking on my neck and each calf as I literally ran back to the car for the Ben's 100% DEET. I slathered on the DEET and set out again. This time they did not bite me where I had applied the 100% DEET but they found other places to attack - like through my shirt and still buzzed and hovered around our heads. I ended up with 20+ mosquito bites itching and burning like crazy and thinking about West Nile Virus and Eastern Equine Encephalitis. I easily killed 20-30 on me and my wife. This was not dusk, but at noon on a fairly breezy day. They really should warn people with a big sign and re-name the place "Wells Mosquito-Infested Swamp Reservation" or Walter Reed Mosquito Testing Laboratory". I think it is actually pretty negligent that they don't.

Connecticut
7 attraction reviews
“Peace on the trails.......”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

Was right next door to the Motel we stayed at -Tallwood - so we walked after coming back from lunch one day. Very scenic trails. Peaceful atmosphere. Very BUGGY!!! Beware!! Other than that was very nice.

Berwyn, PA
8 attraction reviews
“What a wonderful spot for a true Maine wedding”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

We attended a wedding this past weekend at Laudholm Farm and it could not have been better. The service took place in the barn, followed by an outdoor cocktail reception up by the main house on the hill and then dinner was served in a tent next to the barn. After dinner, dancing moved inside the barn and it was fantastic - a great fllor for "cutting a rug." The staff worked diligently and courteously to handle all of the details. This is a most beautiful location and, I am told, a very interesting spot to visit in its normal funtion as a preserve.

Kittery Point, Maine
16 attraction reviews
“Wellsreserve laudholm - nice but needs more”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012

Wells Reserve, chief site is a historic salt marsh farm of late 1700. There is a Visitors center and nice walking trails. There are special programs throughout the year and that is the best way to tour this attraction, and only way as per my recommendation.
My visit was disappointing as this place has potential.
I did not find visitors center helpful at all. Perhaps there needs to be a concise video explaining the history of the saltwater farm and its significance in the area, and or some outside exhibits. I found pamphlets containing a laundry list of things but lacked a specific or central theme thus leaving one confused. The best thing is a sketch map of the trails, however the day I went the mosquitoes were so bad that you couldn't put foot on the trails without being swarmed by mosquitoes. The Organization should put out a notice to that effect . So you really could not use walking trails during my visit. There is admission and it was not a good value in less you visit site during a special event.