“HATED IT” 1 of 5 stars
Review of BEST WESTERN PLUS Waterville Grand Hotel

You added BEST WESTERN PLUS Waterville Grand Hotel to your Saves list
BEST WESTERN PLUS Waterville Grand Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   375 Main Street, Waterville, ME 04901 (Formerly Waterville Grand Hotel)   |
Hotel deals
GreenLeadersBronze level
Stoughton, Massachusetts
“HATED IT”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2011

first off we thought this would be a fairly decent hotel but the last review was right the bathroom and the pool were the only nice thing about this hotel. The room was alright our "view" was nothing but trash outside our window. We didn't get there until 10:30pm our rug was soaked and when we went to complain the next day there responce was why didn't you complain when you got here and was only offered $20 off, at any larger hotel we would have been offered a free night , i would NOT go back to this hotel

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2011

I probably never stayed in hotel like this. Former Holiday In needs a lot of work specially face lift and renovations everywhere but i am not sure if new owner has or willing to put $ into it yet.
Defiantly would not give 3 stars even though they have all amenities for 3 stars.. they don't have a look for it.

However, i can't complain about room.. it was clean .. renovated bathroom...comfortable bed.. and honestly we didn't need anything else for our whitewater rafting trip.

Didn't try breakfast because coupon with option to pick 3 items (coffee was one of them ) was complete turn off so we didn't even go.

Maybe they could keep business afloat and renovate whole place. Give them a chance but do not expect looks and feel of three star hotel.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
kspaulding, Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Waterville Grand Hotel, responded to this review, June 20, 2011
Thank you so much for taking the time to write this review. We value all of our guests' feedback. Just to let you know what is going on here, we are in the midst of renovations. Our current project is windows in all the guest rooms which will lead to an entire outdoor face lift. We are very excited about this project as it will give our building a new look & feel and bring us back to the 3 star level. As I have responded in other reviews, our new owner's are committed to making this hotel better. We are making great strides and have already done a lot of work. We definitely hope you will give us another chance when you come back to town because things sure will be different. Thanks for staying!!
Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2011

We booked on Hotwire as we often do and then checked Trip Advisor for reviews on the hotel we got. Needless to say we were disheartened by what we read, so we wrote to the hotel manager outlining the complaints we saw in the reviews and told her we would forego the money and the reservation if she couldn't honestly guarantee a good stay and she promptly wrote back and said she could and, believe me, she kept her promise. Our room was spotless, comfortable, quiet and tastefully decorated (all new furnishings, bathroom etc. because of the ongoing renovation. Great pub and restaurant on site (delicious chowder, tasty local microbrews on tap), fast, free wireless internet in the room, perfect location, and a warm, down-to-earth and very helpful staff. This is already a very good hotel and it is getting a whole lot better as its renovation nears completion. We'll stay here each year on our northern sojourns.

Room Tip: Ask the manager, Karen Spaulding, she'll help.
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Maine
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2011

I stayed at the Waterville Grand last weekend, and will NEVER go back there again. I had specifically requested a non-smoking room when I booked the reservation, but was given a smoking room when I checked in. I explained to the front desk staff that I had requested a non-smoking room, to which they told me they were already overbooked, and didn't have any non-smoking rooms available. Eventually, after they realized I was not going to accept a smoking room, they did "find" a non-smoking room for me.
The hotel is in need of a major overhaul. The common areas are disgusting. The carpets need to be replaced, the walls are gross, and there is shattered glass on the exterior doors.
The bed linens had stains, and the curtains were held together with duct tape. I will say that the bathroom looked fairly new and clean, but nothing else seemed to be.
Also, the hotel is pet-friendly, and we were kept awake all night by barking dogs. I called down to the front desk twice about this, but of course, nothing was done to remedy the situation.
Friends of ours were staying at the Hampton Inn, about a mile or two away. We went over there to visit with them, and were quite envious of their nice, clean hotel. (It even smelled clean!) Next time, I'll be booking there instead!

Room Tip: Book somewhere else!
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
kspaulding, Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Waterville Grand Hotel, responded to this review, April 18, 2011
I would first like to say that I am sorry your stay was not a good experience for you. You are correct in saying we need renovations. We are undergoing renovations as we speak. We have had several rooms out of order due to work and that may have contributed to the issue with the room. For that I apologize and am glad we were able to get you into a non smoking room. The construction crew has just finished redoing the dining room and pub. The stairways are being worked on and the hallway carpets are due to be replaced as soon as it arrives (any day now). Our new owner's have made the commitment to make our hotel better. We are going to be getting new wall paper in the hallways too. It has been a while since our last renovation and we are grateful to our new owner's for caring about our property. I hope that you will try us again sometime after our renovations are complete. You can find us on Facebook and look for updates on the renovation process. Thank you for taking the time to write this review. Have a great day!
Boston, MA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2010

I am not very picky when it comes to hotels, however, I expect it to be clean and to smell nice! The first room they gave me smelled like smoke, just being in there 10 minutes made my clothes smell, so I asked to change rooms, and they did give me a new room. The hallways and stairways smell like cabbage which is gross. However, the worst part is that they lock the main doors at 10:00pm and you have to enter through the back door, this is in a back parking lot, very sketchy, low lighting, I was by myself and then I realized that the door was UNLOCKED!!!!! It led right into the hotel, this is AWFUL security! I do NOT recommend this hotel! There was one across the way called the Fireside Hotel, people that I met at my conference seemed to like that hotel better, and it was cheaper!!

In summary:

Good-staff is very nice, location is central to the stores and close to Colby College if needed. Breakfast is included and it is good. There is a gym.

Bad-hotel looks like it has not been renovated since the 80s. It smells like cabbage in the halls, the bathrooms are not new, the main doors lock and then you have to use an unlocked door in the back of the hotel! The internet was free but slow and not always working!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled on business
hiwvlme, Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Waterville Grand Hotel, responded to this review, December 29, 2010
Dear Sevillana18,

Thank you so much for your comments regarding your recent stay. I am sorry that your stay was not exceptional. Let me first say thank you for recognizing our staff. We do have a good staff and it pleases me to know that they remedied your room situation. You are correct in saying that we need to be remodeled, as a matter of fact our new owners are planning a full remodel in the very near future. I do apologize for thetrouble you had with the locks. Your comments will be taken under consideration to make our security better. We appreciate the honesty of all our guests. After all, it is the only way we can make corrections to better serve you and all our other travelers. I hope that you will give us another chance when in Waterville. We appreciate your business!

Been to BEST WESTERN PLUS Waterville Grand Hotel? Share your experiences!