“A local Favorite... very busy place!” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Portland, Maine
“A local Favorite... very busy place!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

I'm from out of town, but I would definitely stop there again. I've been going to all-you-can-eat Chinese buffets for so long, I forgot how nice a regular Chinese restaurant can be. I wouldn't say the atmosphere is exceptional, but it is very nice. I was there on a Sunday night around 7 pm. The place was almost full, and the phone kept ringing for take-out orders every 5 minutes. My mother always says, a sign of a good restaurant is if the parking lot is full... which it was.

They serve Mandarin and Szechuan. I ordered Rice Noodles with Shrimp. It was served quickly and it was hot. The dish was delicious. They didn't skimp on the shrimp. The food was fresh. And there was so much of it, I took half home and had another meal out of it. The waitstaff is friendly. The prices are reasonable. I saw one couple with a Pu-Pu Platter... hadn't seen one of those in ages.

My GPS told me about Ming Lee when I searched for someplace to eat but, my nuvi left me stranded in the middle of Main St., and not letting me know if it was on the right or the left, and I couldn't see it anywhere. So I took a left onto Armory Rd, planning to turn around, and there was Ming Lee right in front of me (around 80 Armory Rd.). It's in back of Advance Auto Parts, under the same roof.

• Visited March 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Rome
“Family Restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

This restaurant has been welcoming local families in the Waterville area for many years. I am disappointed to see how few of the customers have failed to write a review, leaving the actual best and most friendliest restaurant in the Waterville area "second best" on trip advisor! The food is cooked fresh, as it is ordered. I have not tried this Jin Yuan, and have no reason to. Ming Lee leaves my entire family satisfied, from price to portions.

• Visited January 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
“Why the MSG for me?”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

If you know the health risks of MSG, please read on. For years, literally, I have been frequenting Ming Lee and always ask for no salt and no MSG. Well, one of the dishes I usually order, an L10 (Szechuan Spicy Chicken), has MSG in the Szechuan sauce they use. I do not understand why for years when I ask for no MSG they would use a sauce that has it. One of the employees told us that a woman recently asked for no MSG with the L10 and was ill after because of said sauce. The cook now tries to improvise the sauce on that particular dish for those not wanting MSG, but only after someone was sick. So, I feel a bit cheated, thinking that I've been in fact eating MSG every time I went there, even though I asked specifically for none. Supposedly it's just the L10 and one other or so dishes that have it (even after asking them to not use it, otherwise all dishes do), but please make absolutely sure if you are concerned about what you eat.

• Visited May 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Augusta, Maine
“Good Chinese Food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2012

I have been here three times, and each time I have enjoyed my meal. They serve large portions for a reasonable price. Some of the dinner combinations on the menu seamed a bit strange, but I would have to recommend the orange chicken and the beef teriyaki. The beef teryaki was definitely my favorite

• Visited November 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Waterville, Maine
“Good "Americanized" Chinese food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

Anyone who enjoys Asian cuisine knows there are different typesand styles of cooking. Ming Lee has dishes that caters well to the American idea of what a chinese restaurant should be. The food is very good, I recommend the General Tso's chicken and crab rangoons. Their cocktails are delicious as well. The building the restaurant is in is old and showing its age, but overall great meal for the price.

Visited September 2012