“Needs a facelift” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hampton Inn Waterville

You added Hampton Inn Waterville to your Saves list
Hampton Inn Waterville
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   425 Kennedy Memorial Drive, Waterville, ME 04901 (Formerly Hampton Inn Watervile / Augusta)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Double HHonors Points
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Waterville
Stonington, Connecticut
“Needs a facelift”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

Stayed here when bringing my son to Colby. It was very convenient, but this hotel feels very outdated when compared to other Hampton Inns. The staff was very friendly and the room was clean. We were on the first floor and it was noisy. Also, the room lighting was awful- maybe old-style energy-saving bulbs, but there was a blue-cast in the room. Breakfast was nothing memorable, but fine. There was some construction going on there, so maybe they'll get a full face lift soon.

Room Tip: Avoid first floor
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
HamptonInn2001, Director of Sales at Hampton Inn Waterville, responded to this review, January 15, 2013
Dear Freshairgirl,
Thank you for reviewing the Hampton inn Waterville. When you were here in late December or January the hotel was and still is under a big renovation. We are replacing the breakfast area, lobby, all carpets & wallpaper, and a new fitness room. In 2013 & 2014 the hotel will continue to renovate the hotel in the guest rooms. I do apologize that it was noisy during your stay and it was due to the replacement of the lobby floors. I understand the renovation is not ideal for the guests and we are deeply sorry for the disruption it caused you and your son. The Hampton breakfast is a standard of all Hampton Inn's and all have to have the same items on it. Hampton specifies as a brand what can be on the breakfast buffet. I thank you for your comments as changes come from guest comments and reviews. Thank you for taking time to write a review of the hotel and I hope you will stay with us again. We will be finished the entire renovation by Mid February the latest.
Nicole Desjardins-Director of Sales

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Krakow, Poland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

I visited this Hotel twice being on a business trip. Each time It was a pleasure to stay there. Very big and luxurious rooms with all needed facilities. There is small swimming pool and gym.Stuff very friendly. Breakfast - as for US Breakfast it was quite ok. The porridge rewarded all other junk food which is quite common . I recommend this place.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
HamptonInn2001, Director of Sales at Hampton Inn Waterville, responded to this review, December 12, 2012
Hello and thank you for your positive review of the Hampton Inn Waterville. It is so important to us to hear from our guests, so we can improve on any area of the business that is important to our guests. I am happy to hear that the few times you stayed with us on business were pleasant and that you feel our hotel is "Nice and comfortable with a family atmosphere". We will be finished our hotel renovation by January 15, 2013 and I hope you will stay with us to see the updates and the finished product of our new lobby and breakfast area. It is because of guests that we strive for excellence every day with each guest. Thank you for being a loyal client of ours and I look forward to your next stay with us.
Thank you again for your review of our hotel.
Happy Holidays,
Chester, NH
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012

I stayed 2 nights at this hotel in August. It is right off the highway and easy to find. I found the staff pleasant and helpful. We asked if there was a refridgerator available for our room. They had one and it was delivered promptly. The room very clean and comfortable. The wi-fi worked well. Breakfast was plentiful and adequate. There were not a lot of dining options near the hotel - at least none that we could find.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
HamptonInn2001, Director of Sales at Hampton Inn Waterville, responded to this review, September 18, 2012
Hello and thank you for your positive review of the Waterville Hampton Inn. We appreciate all the feedback we can get from our guests so we understand the perspective of the guest. We can only improve with the help of our guests. Thank you for taking time to write a review of the hotel. I am happy to hear that you found us easy to find off the highway, that you enjoyed our breakfast, found the staff pleasant and helpful and that our hotel was clean and comfortable. We will be undergoing a renovation to the lobby, breakfast area and the meeting rooms and I hope on your next stay you will come and see the changes we have made.
Thank you again for taking time to write a review of the hotel. I look forward to seeing you on your next trip to Waterville.
Best Regards,
Nicole Desjardins-Director of Sales
ny
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

Everyone at the front desk was so friendly and kind at this hotel. But their spirit could not make up for the condition of the rooms, the discomfort of the beds, and the overall poor and uninteresting location. We slept terribly, the bathrooms were only cleaned at an average level, and it was not a great experience. For folks coming to Colby, I suggest not staying in Waterville because this is the best option and it's simply not great.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
HamptonInn2001, Director of Sales at Hampton Inn Waterville, responded to this review, September 4, 2012
Hello and thank you for taking time to write a review of the hotel. We do stand behind the 100% guarantee in place that if you are not satisfied than you do not pay. I hope you took advantage of the guarantee and I am sorry to hear that you felt our hotel was average and location was uninteresting. We were built in this location to be closest to Colby College, Thomas College and the business community, while being close to the interstate. We are primarily a business hotel and do have many Colby families staying with us due to close proximity to the College. We will be going through a renovation in October of the breakfast area and lobby area. In 2013, we will be renovating guest rooms to give them a fresh look and replace some furniture. I am happy that you found our staff to be friendly and helpful.
I hope you will give us another try on your next stay in Waterville.
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012

I stayed at this hotel for one night in August before attending an open house at Colby with my son. I could not get over how clean and quiet the place was. The staff could not have been more helpful and the hot breakfast buffet in the morning was a plus. The breakfast was included in the price of the room. I would definitely stay there again if visiting Colby or if my travels took me nearby. The college is five minutes down the road!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Hello and thank you for your review of the Hampton Inn Waterville. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. We pride ourselves on the cleanliness of the hotel and I am pleased you found the hotel to be quality. We will be undergoing a renovation to the lobby in October and in 2013 another renovation to the guest rooms.
Thank you so much for taking time to review and rate the hotel so highly and I hope to see you on your next visit to Waterville.
Best Wishes and Sincere gratitude,
Redmond, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2012

I stayed at this property on an extended stay basis for business in the Waterville area from mid-June to late-July. I typically have little to no say in lodging for my work, though in this case, a limited number of options in the area also played a factor. Because the Hampton Inn Waterville is not a typical extended stay property, I would normally try to review it from the perspective of travelers only spending one to two nights. However, it seemed like there was a steady stream of extended stay travelers while I was there, so I think it only fair to review it from my experience.

During the course of my stay, I spent about four weeks in one two-queen-bed room and another two-and-a-half weeks in a one-king-bed room, both on the third floor. (My stay was broken up by an overbooked weekend where I had to find lodging elsewhere). The two-queen-bed room was small by general comparison to experiences elsewhere throughout the country. The king room was larger and generally had more space to comfortably "live" and work. Both units had decent drawer space for clothes and other items. Both also had what seemed to be a decent-sized closet; however, with the ironing board, spare bedding, and other items already stowed in there, available space turned out to be pretty tight. The beds in both rooms - particularly in the two-queen room - were a bit too firm.

In both units, I was provided a small refrigerator due to the fact that I was an extended stay traveler. It was a convenient addition, though the lack of kitchenette meant that it was only really good for drinks and cold snacks, and the rooms weren't really conducive to have meals other than basic fast food or similar.

Wireless internet access in the rooms was good and generally fast. The only minor annoyance was that you had to use an internet access code - entered once for every 24 hours - provided by the front desk staff, and that code was changed every Monday. So, by the time you remembered the code, it was time to change. It's a minor issue, and not one unique to this hotel; it is common across all Hilton-owned properties. Oddly enough, while the wireless was good, cell phone reception throughout the hotel was horrible. It was not unique to my cell carrier; I talked with other travelers using other cell providers, and we were all experiencing the problem. Once you walked outside of the hotel, network reception returned to normal. I don't know what contributed to what was essentially an "outage" in coverage, but it was problematic.

Climate control in the rooms was also a bit problematic, in that it was only a box unit set in the window that provided cooling or heating. The units in both rooms worked inconsistently, and lacked an ability to really fine-tune the temperature in the rooms. That meant there were times where it got too cold in the room, and other times (particularly in the overnight hours) where it seemed like you couldn't cool the room down. That was especially annoying given the high temperatures and stifling humidity of summer in the Waterville area.

The bathrooms in the guest rooms generally had good space, though the vanity was quickly cluttered given the ice bucket/tray, coffee maker (only a single-cup brewer, unfortunately), and a few other items. The biggest inconvenience in the bathrooms was that there was no vent fan. That meant there was no means of circulating air through the room, which - paired with the inadequate climate control - meant that mold and mildew was a bit of a problem in both rooms I stayed in. The shower heads in both rooms were covered in a film of pink mold/mildew, which I attribute to the inability to properly ventilate the room during/after a shower.

There was a good business center, fitness center, and pool on site (all in the basement). All were clean and well-maintained. The laundry consisted of only one washer and dryer, which wasn't a problem except for busier weekends. Continental breakfast was provided daily; it was generally decent, if unremarkable.

Housekeeping seemed to be a little spotty throughout the course of my stay. Some days it seemed fairly complete, while on other days - including what I guessed were low-occupancy days - it looked/felt like there was only the most basic of service (maybe empty trash, make the bed without changing bedding, refresh towels). In the two-queen-bed room, particularly, it did not appear that the room was ever vacuumed while I occupied the room. Bedding in both rooms only seemed to be changed out once a week by my estimation. While I don't expect daily bedding changes, it would be nice to have it changed out at least twice a week at a minimum. That infrequent change of bedding seems more a byproduct of the Hilton corporation's overzealousness to a "green" business practice - which I have seen/experienced at other Hilton-owned properties - rather than something that was unique to this specific hotel.

Customer service was fair throughout the course of my stay. Some of the front desk staff were friendlier and more responsive than others, and I noted the ones who frequently worked the late-afternoon/evening shifts exhibited the best customer service. The breakfast attendants generally seemed a little standoffish or unresponsive, even when you greeted them.

Guests of this property should expect to eat out. There is a Dunkin' Donuts immediately next door, which was convenient, and a few fast food places within 1/4 to 1/2 mile away. Otherwise, you will have to drive 2-4 miles into downtown Waterville to find other dining options. Access to I-95 is simple and quick, as the hotel sits less than 1/2-mile from the freeway.

Again, given the rather limited range of lodging options in Waterville, the Hampton Inn is most likely the best place to stay. It is often busy, and it sounded like the property charges rates that are a bit higher than normal based on demand. There are some areas of improvement, which I have noted here. That being said, I would recommend the Hampton Inn if travelers in the area need a place to stay for an overnight or weekend. However, for extended stay travelers, I would try to seek other options if at all possible (though those are likely found outside of Waterville).

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Thank you so much for your review of the hotel. I appreciate the perspective of a long term traveler staying with us and your perspective on Brand standards from Hilton. I passed your comments along to all management within the hotel to see what we can do to improve a quality stay for long term travelers. The past few months have been quite busy with long term stays which is why the room switches were necessary and I certainly do apologize for that inconvenience. While most of our travelers are short term stays it is critical to understand the point of view of the long term stays. Your feedback will assist us improving in every way we can. We do have some suites are property that would have probably worked better for you, but availability is hard with limited amounts of suites. You are correct that we are not as equipped for long term stays as an extended stay property would be. We were built 10 years ago and unfortunately never estimated the long stays that people might be doing in Waterville. I thank you for your feedback and I hope you will stay with us again soon.
boston
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2012

My teen daughter and I spent just one night at this Hampton Inn before dropping her off at a nearby camp. It is a well-run, friendly and very clean hotel that fit the bill for our visit. The room was extremely clean with great wifi and a nice t.v. The location was convenient to the highway, her camp and Colby College. Breakfast was served in a nice room and included waffles, cereal, fruit, muffins/sweets, etc. The breakfast area was kept very clean and there were plenty of tables and chairs.

I was very impressed to hear from the hotel after responding to the usual Hampton online survey. The GM wrote to thank me for my positive comments and to welcome me to return. Good customer service. He also told me that they are planning on renovating the lobby and breakfast area in the coming months.

I wish I had booked this hotel for our Family Weekend visit to camp as it was a great lodging choice for the area.

Will say, though, that staying in Maine during the summer months is not cheap!

Room Tip: Ask for a room that doesn't face the Kennedy 'highway'. Ours did and there is truck noi...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
HamptonInn2001, Director of Sales at Hampton Inn Waterville, responded to this review, August 7, 2012
Thank you CCrosner for your review of our hotel. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with your daughter. I thank you for your comments of well-run, friendly and very clean hotel, which we pride ourselves on. The General Manager of the hotel is diligent in responding to online surveys that come from out guests. We love to hear from our guests to know what we can continuing doing or how we can improve your stay. I am pleased to hear that you felt we deliver good customer service. We have had our staff in place for some time and have very little turn over in staff. One of the strengths of the hotel is our staff that continues to wow our guest’s trip after trip. Thank you again for taking time to review the Hampton Inn Waterville. I look forward to your next stay with us.
Thank you for your business and we all look forward to your next stay with us,
Nikki Desjardins-Director of Sales

Been to Hampton Inn Waterville? Share your experiences!