“Local Folks and World Travelers Eat at Moody's” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American, Diner
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Takeout, Late Night
Washington, Maine
“Local Folks and World Travelers Eat at Moody's”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

We are regulars at Moody's. The food is as close to home cooking as you can get and there no surprises ......... it's always good. I love the chowders with a yeast roll !

Visited December 2012

76% Recommend
Union, Maine, United States
“Northern Exposure”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

Moody's has long been a Maine stay, but is not as good today as it was a couple of years ago. Think that they are happy to be living off their repetition from the family's past vice working to take their restaurant to the next level. Service was good. Have ate at this place several times over the past 10 years, but they need to put their management enthusiasm back up to a high level.

• Visited December 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Waldoboro, Maine
“Moody's is always reliable and consistent”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

I've been eating at Moody's for close to 40 years and it never fails for good diner food. I gave it 4 stars instead of 5 because it is, after all, a diner. But, about the best diner one can eat at.

I agree with blinibaby, the hot turkey sandwich is great. I always get it with mashed potatoes and extra gravy. The gravy is good and not from a can. Though the green beans seem to be from a can and I never get them. For 99 cents extra I often get the small tossed salad with parmesan peppercorn dressing - which comes in a pouch, but decent.

I also like the chicken croquets with mashed, extra gravy and salad. Croquets have quite a bit of sage in them, so you want to like sage. Fish and chips with cole slaw is good. On Tuesdays one of the specials is lasagna with tossed salad and I often get that. Not bad for a diner.

All in all, when I'm eating in Waldoboro, I eat at Moodys. For take-out I either go to Movie/Pizza Shoppe or the Chinese take-out, Jade Express, on Route 1.

• Visited December 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
israel
“Moody's Diner-fabulous”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

I was in Maine last month, and friends took us to Moody's Diner. What a great piece of Americana. The service is great, food wonderful, and it really is a blast from the past. All the "good diner foods" of the past are there, fresh, delicious, huge portions and CHEAP. I look forward to going back there if ever I will be in Maine again

• Visited November 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
dallasmorning
“It may be our new Thanksgiving Day Tradition”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012

I will definitely be back!! For the first in 35 years of marriage my spouse didn't cook a Thanksgiving dinner. That, for our family was huge! We decided to head up to our Maine home for the long Thanksgiving weekend. I opted to go out for Thanksgiving dinner instead of cooking in so we headed off to Moody's, which also happened to be my first visit to the diner.
First of all, their Thanksgiving hours are only like 10a to 3p. We arrived at 1:30p or so, and were promptly seated. The interior has so many historic photos, as well as older family images I fell in love. The place looks a bit dated inside and out but I love places like this. Please don't let that deter you; it's family run, and everyone is super nice and friendly. On this Thanksgiving day there are two major dinners available: Turkey, or Roast Pork. All three of us opted for the turkey dinner and we were not disappointed in the least! The meal arrived being served by super friendly staff, but before that we were served some of the most delicious, soft, warm bread I've had in a super long time. Just amazing. Anyway dinner arrived: The turkey was fresh, juicy - not too much though; gravy, with a side of mashed potatoes, and what my daughter said was the most delicious stuffing she's ever had; a statement I have to agree with even though I made the stuffing from scratch for our meals at home. Another side was some type of turnip mash which I found utterly distasteful because I don't like turnips. But, I had never tried squash before as that was yet another side that came with the meal and that proved to be delicious. All I can say is that the entire meal was just perfect - from the temperature, to the portion size, to the wait staff. Just perfect; honestly I could not have picked a better place to celebrate the special day.
For dessert Moody's was serving pumpkin pie, four-berry pie (which everyone I know that has gone their raves about), and a chocolate cream pie covered in whipped cream. That's what we all had and we were not disappointed in the least. The chocolate cream pie was home made, fluffy crust, thick chocolate filled, and the whipped cream was as light as a cloud could or should be. Overall the entire dining experience was a perfect Thanksgiving meal. I left full, but not stuffed or bloated, the food didn't feel heavy in the stomach. I don't know what it was, but it was perfect. Not sure what else to say except the price was extremely reasonable and I am definitely going back next year. The entire family pretty much agrees that we found our new tradition.
I've added some basic photos so you can see the dinner plate. I apologize for the quality but I was using an older iPhone.

• Visited November 2012