“Double Take” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #2 of 3 things to do in Waldoboro
More attraction details
Owner description: Aunt Lydia's Tavern was built in the early 1800s. It has undergone many changes over the years. Since 1996 it is the home of the Maine Antique Toy & Art Museum. We display a world class collection of antique toys, Disneyana, original items worn and used by the Movie Cowboy stars, 1977 Star wars, original comic strip art and animation cels. It is a museum enjoyed by adults. Be sure to bring your parents and grand parents. They will have a wonderful return to those thrilling days of yesteryear. Please arrive for the museum before 3pm. Open hours are Memorial Day to Columbus day 10-4pm. We are always closed on Tues & Wed. Columbus Day to Last weekend before Christmas, we open only Sat-Sun 12-4pm. We are closed from Christmas to Memorial day. Thank you.
Coral Gables, Florida
4 attraction reviews
“Double Take”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013

On our way back south from Acadia NP we stopped in again and had a 'double take,' having only spent three hours here the last time. John Fawcett, the owner, affirmed that he hadn't changed anything in the previous few weeks, but we swore everything was new - there's that much to see. It's like Alice chasing the rabbit down the hole...a brand new world. Even if you were hallucinating, you couldn't imagine more toys displayed in one area. So, another couple of hours later, we escaped and were on our way. But only after a snack of blueberry crumb cake at the diner across the street. And, almost certainly the next time we're mid-coast, we'll return.

Visited August 2013

Monmouth Beach, New Jersey
“A Must-Stop Maine Destination”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013

If "Horribly Rude" thought John Fawcett was rude, then he must have had a reason - perhaps he was expecting another call or the shop was crowded with people with questions. John is one of the most down-to-earth and friendly persons in Maine and given time will talk with you forever. I've known him for over 25 years, and would (and do) recommend his shop/museum to anyone travelling that part of Route 1. To miss it due to a misinterpretation of a single situation would indeed be "foolish." MRD

Visited September 2012
Brooklyn, Connecticut, United States
“Unbelievable Nostaglia, Energy and Art”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

Antique toys, ephemeria, original comic art, Disneyana and more. Fawcett;s own art takes classic Disney art to new heights using distorted yet recognizable figures and color combinations that work together in ways.that leave you thirsting for more! Normand Chartier

Visited August 2013
Lee, New Hampshire
“An unexpected surprise”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

On a recent drive up the coast of Maine my husband and I happened upon and unexpected little gem, a museum of antique toys and original artwork created by the owner himself, John Fawcett. A very friendly fellow who was a wealth of knowledge concerning the toys and other treasures on display. He excitedly showed us about the various rooms and their contents while explaining about his 'little gems' on shelves and in display cases and on the walls. I personally was drawn to his original artwork...very graphic and amusing subject matter. The real gem was the proprietor himself, a retired art professor still creating and sharing his joy for these antique toys. A must stop and spend some time exploring and listening to the stories told...a great memory for me...a unexpected surprise on my 'Birthday Drive' up the coast of Maine.

Visited July 2013
Mt. Pleasant, Mi
“One of the best museums I have been in”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

I have been to the museum several times and I have enjoyed myself every single time. There are items that you can only see here and the owner, John Fawcett, tell you about every single one. The Star Wars and Lone Ranger areas are my favorites. The store has some excellent things to buy. I purchased an entire collection of Opus characters from the Bloom County series. Very inexpensive attraction and well worth your time.

Visited June 2013