“Don't believe the negative reviews!” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American, Bakery, Seafood, Bistro
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations
philly
“Don't believe the negative reviews!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

I rarely submit reviews to tripadvisor, but I felt compelled to respond. Meals at the Thomaston Cafe are some of the best I have eaten in Maine, and I have to been to many of the more highly touted restaurants. The food is always fresh and delicious (especially the seafood and salads), the wine list is good though not extensive, the prices reasonable, and the service is efficient except when very crowded (which it sometimes is because it is a great spot!). Even with all the offerings in Rockland, Rockport, etc., we have become "regulars" and a number of our friends have become big fans as well.

• Visited August 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Salem NJ
“Pleasant Lunch”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

Stopped there with a group of friends, six all together. Everyone loved what they ordered , served by a pleasant wait staff. I got the haddock chowder which reminded me of mom's. My husband enjoyed the fish cakes. We also shared a piece of key lime pie that was as good if not better than any we have had in Key West.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Don't go here.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013 via mobile

Look, I don't normally go on sites like this and write reviews unless I really have something to say. So, with that in mind, this place is downright AWFUL. It's mostly the food that is my gripe, but the service was bad and the prices were just plain unfair, given the quality of the food. We were tourists in the area, and on a vacation, you hope to get great meals so you don't waste a meal with a bad experience. Restauranteurs should keep this in mind before they open up in a touristy place. By the way, if you aren't a yuppie, don't go here. It ain't for you.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
“Incredibly Underwhelming”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

Overpriced and bland. Our waitress was unfriendly and inattentive, the coffee was definitely middle-of-the-road, and the food, though served quickly, was no-frills. My husband ordered a scallop & brie omelette, which consisted of eggs, scallops and cheese - period. This place counts on their quaint downtown location to make up for an entirely forgettable experience. Drive 10 minutes further to Rockland. You'll thank me.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
“We waited a long time, the food was not good, & the service was terrible.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

We waited a long time. They were not particularly friendly. Finally we were seated at a table in a dark corner. There were flies, the food was overpriced & not good. They were out of many items & we ate at 12:30. We finally walked to the register as no one would bring us our bill. We were on vacation & very disappointed..

• Visited August 2013