“Great location, attentive hosts, good breakfasts, rooms in annex a bit tired” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Craignair Inn at Clark Island

You added Craignair Inn at Clark Island to your Saves list
Craignair Inn at Clark Island
3.5 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   5 Third Street, Spruce Head, ME 04859   |
Ranked #1 of 2 Spruce Head B&B and Inns
Boston
“Great location, attentive hosts, good breakfasts, rooms in annex a bit tired”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

This was everything we wanted it to be: a place for the four of us (parents and two kids of high school and college age) to hang out for a couple of days and recharge. The kids (fresh off exams) could sleep in, while the two of us could enjoy morning coffee in the deck chairs looking out over the water and the islands, idly watching bald eagles. We could spend afternoons walking on Clark island, and evenings playing cards. This was the first time we brought the family dog on a vacation, which worked smoothly. It's unusual for this type of place to accept pets.

We primarily interacted with Joanne, who, with her husband and teen son, run the place. She was friendly, quick to make excellent local recommendations, entirely cheerful about sending us to competing restaurants when we wanted something other than the style of their restaurant for dinner, and more interested in our enjoying the trip than in making every last sale ("no, don't waste your money buying beer from me to take if you're going there; they have a license now and no longer allow BYOB," etc.)

Judging by the breakfasts and the dessert we had, the restaurant is very good; we did not eat dinner so can't comment on the food beyond that.

The rooms (we stayed in the annex which is plainer and less renovated than the main inn, I believe) were comfortable, with good beds, plenty of hot water, etc. They were somewhat dated looking and a little dark (other rooms have views) but clean and nothing wrong with them.

This place is the real deal -- and not a fancied up boutique -- and I would highly recommend it.

Room Tip: Discuss the room options with the innkeeper - they are all different.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Joanne O, Owner at Craignair Inn at Clark Island, responded to this review, June 19, 2013
Thank you for the kind words. We are so glad you felt welcome and were able to re-energize! We pride ourselves on being the "real-deal" --a comfortable, quiet place to relax on the coast of Maine. Enjoy the summer!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Hartford, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at the Craignair this past April, and highly recommend this to all. It was spotlessly clean, has comfortable beds, and a spectacular view. Joanne and Michael are very gracious hosts. They were very helpful for restaurant suggestions, available when you needed them and completely respected your privacy. Michael's homemade breakfast was outstanding & actually the best I've ever had at a B & B. We so enjoyed Mimi their little dog who is hypoallergenic. Definitely worth a return visit!!!

• Stayed April 2013
Joanne O, Owner at Craignair Inn at Clark Island, responded to this review, May 30, 2013
Thank you! Come visit MiMi (and us) anytime!!
Rockland, Maine
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

Since discovering the Craignair Inn with my daughter at the end of August, 2012 , I have returned for three more visits, most recently just over a week ago. I've fallen in love with this unique, homey, beautifully situated inn with its wonderfully attentive, friendly and hard working owners, Joanne and Michael. I've brought a cousin and my sister and they can't wait to return to this spot which, along with adjoining Clarks island, so embodies the spirit of Maine.
I've stayed at Craignair when it's busy in high season and off season when we were the only guests and Michael's breakfasts were equally delicious and generous each time. Joanne is unfailingly helpful and interested in providing the best experience for each guest, whether that means restful or busily active. We have felt very much at home and very well cared for each time ( Simon, Joanne and Michael's son, also quietly contributes to the wonderful atmosphere, as does Mimi, their little dog ).
In season, we had delicious dinners ( not available off season except for the popular Friday burger nights open to the community) in the dining room overlooking the sea followed by a walk down to the causeway afterwards to see the silver sea glistening in the moonlight, or, absent the moon, the sky awash in stars. Perfect endings to memorable days!
I can't recommend Craignair Inn highly enough!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Thank you Alice, it's been a pleasure getting to know your family! We hope for a smooth transition for your move to Rockland. Thank you for the kind words and endorsement.
Aspen, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

A friend and I stayed at the Inn for 4 nights. Arriving late, we didn't know what to expect, but a note was waiting for us inside, the kindness of which was just part and parcel of what you can expect at the Craignair Inn. The following morning we met Joanne and their sweet (and, importantly, hypoallergenic!) jackadoodle Mimi. The weather included a snow storm, but we were always warm and cozy whether in our room or in the comfortable common areas. One of the things I appreciated the most about the Inn was that while Joanne and Michael were available for friendly conversation, or to give recommendations to local restaurants, it was always with discretion, allowing us to feel a sense of privacy even while in the common areas. Each morning we'd come down to hot coffee, and the sounds of Michael whipping up something creative in the kitchen. His love of cooking came across not only in how he told us what we were in store for each morning, but more importantly in the final result. From a Gorgonzola mushroom, and tomato omelette, to fantastic regionally-appropriate blueberry pancakes, to a St. Patrick's Day breakfast including soft-boiled eggs, crispy home-fries, and tasty made-from-scratch corned beef hash, we were always well prepared for our day. As it was the off-season there was no evening dinner available, but I can only assume it will be excellent when we finally get to try it during our next stay, which will be as soon as possible, I assure you!

Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for your kind feedback! We strive to make everyone comfortable here and we are so glad you enjoyed your stay! I remember you arriving in the snowstorm...I think visiting Maine during the "slow season" has a great charm. Glad you were able to stay with us!
Boca Raton, Florida, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

I am quite the globetrotter and I have been exposed to a wide range of accommodations for both business and personal matters. I am particularly fond of bed and breakfast as the quality of the service and food is typically higher than what one would experience at a resort or hotel. I recently made the trek to Maine for a little R&R and I selected the Craignair Inn based on the positive reviews I read online. The experience did not disappoint. The inn is a destination alone and is situated right on the water across from Clark Island. The owners Jo and Micheal along with their son Simon were wonderful hosts making sure all of my needs were attended to from the time I arrived to the day of my departure. The rooms were spacious and the bed was comfortable. During my stay it snowed creating one of the most serene and peaceful environments I have had the pleasure of experiencing. Micheal's breakfasts were amazing, the eggs were cooked to perfection, the blueberry pancakes were fluffy and delicious, and the atmosphere of the inn was warm and inviting. I was treated to a warm fire and a friendly game of cards during my stay, they made me feel like one of the family. I cannot say enough good things about the Craignair Inn, I can only suggest you make the trek to Spruce Head and experience it for yourself.

Room Tip: Room number 6, water view with a comfy bed.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Joanne O, Owner at Craignair Inn at Clark Island, responded to this review, February 19, 2013
Thank you Kathy. It was a pleasure to meet you and we are glad you felt so relaxed during your stay. We look forward to hosting you again (hopefully not during a blizzard next time...but sometimes a roaring fire and no where to go is exactly what we all need!) Thanks for leaving the room tip as well. We definitely like to speak directly with our guests when they make a reservation to make sure we accommodate them to the best of our ability.
Boca Raton, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

Craignair Inn, nestled right up against the ocean's shore, lends an extremely desirable destination location. Experiencing the quaint, cozy surroundings, amazing ocean views, and roaring wood burning fires in the gathering room...I felt completely relaxed throughout my stay, and didn't want to leave! The Inn is beautiful and our room was very pretty and inviting. COMFORTABLE BED!! The owner's, Michael & Joanne, ARE the definition of "hospitable"! What amazing people... :) The food they prepped and served us was delicious and they serve great coffee! Absolutely one of the nicest B&B's we've EVER visited, and we WILL absolutely return!!

Room Tip: In my opinion, calling the Inn directly is the best way to book your stay as you can then speak dire...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you Kathy! It was great meeting you during your stay earlier this year. We appreciate your kind words!
Rochester, New York, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

I met the owners while I was vacationing in Maine and decided to give their place a try on my next trip to Maine.

I arrived late at night and my key was waiting for me. The inn is gorgeous. My room was excellent. Everything I wanted and needed could be found in the room.

Breakfast overlooking the water with Mimi, the dog, walking around added the feeling of being welcome and at home. Michael's breakfast was excellent.

Craignair Inn will be part of my annual vacation in Maine.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Joanne O, Owner at Craignair Inn at Clark Island, responded to this review, February 12, 2013
Thank you for your kind words! We are happy you stayed with us last year and that you enjoyed the views and Michael's breakfast! MiMi is always looking for a lap...you are welcome back anytime!

Been to Craignair Inn at Clark Island? Share your experiences!