This was everything we wanted it to be: a place for the four of us (parents and two kids of high school and college age) to hang out for a couple of days and recharge. The kids (fresh off exams) could sleep in, while the two of us could enjoy morning coffee in the deck chairs looking out over the water and the islands, idly watching bald eagles. We could spend afternoons walking on Clark island, and evenings playing cards. This was the first time we brought the family dog on a vacation, which worked smoothly. It's unusual for this type of place to accept pets.
We primarily interacted with Joanne, who, with her husband and teen son, run the place. She was friendly, quick to make excellent local recommendations, entirely cheerful about sending us to competing restaurants when we wanted something other than the style of their restaurant for dinner, and more interested in our enjoying the trip than in making every last sale ("no, don't waste your money buying beer from me to take if you're going there; they have a license now and no longer allow BYOB," etc.)
Judging by the breakfasts and the dessert we had, the restaurant is very good; we did not eat dinner so can't comment on the food beyond that.
The rooms (we stayed in the annex which is plainer and less renovated than the main inn, I believe) were comfortable, with good beds, plenty of hot water, etc. They were somewhat dated looking and a little dark (other rooms have views) but clean and nothing wrong with them.
This place is the real deal -- and not a fancied up boutique -- and I would highly recommend it.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Craignair Inn and Restaurant is walking distance from beautiful Clark Island via the causeway. We're at the end of a peninsula with relaxing rooms, unmatched food and gorgeous views. Craignair is just minutes to Rockland, 40 minutes to Camden and about an hour to Portland. Come enjoy the peace and serenity of Craignair Inn at Clark Island! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Cheap Tickets, Orbitz and Tingo so you can book your Craignair Inn at Clark Island reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Craignair Inn At Clark Island Hotel Spruce Head
- Craignair Inn At Clark Island Maine/Spruce Head