“excellent food, but mediocre service” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Good for: Romance, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
McLean, Virginia
“excellent food, but mediocre service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

We had two excellent meals here, but were disappointed in how rigid the restaurant was about taking reservations. The restaurant routinely limits dinner reservations to 5:30, 6:00, or 8:30.

Acton, Maine
“Seek Out Red Sky in Southwest Harbor!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

The food, service and atmosphere in this superb restaurant never disappoints!! You are sure to be delighted by the delectable offerings of this fine restaurant. The service is phenomenal...several wait persons made sure we were served what we ordered on time and with flair!! I would recommend this establishment to anyone seeking a special dining experience!

“Great place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

Delicious, creative food with great service and ambience.....make a reservation......it stays very busy.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Strongly Disagree with Most Reviews”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

I strongly disagree with all the positive reviews of this place, which surprises me. I've hardly ever felt let down by my TA "friends." But, I recently had dinner here on the basis of all these positive reviews and thought it was the worst dining experience I've had in the Acadia National Park area--an area I've been visiting for over 15 years.

Service was extremely slow and with no explanation for it. Let me be more specific--service involving food/wine/drinks was all extremely slow, but for some reason, our silverware between each service was immaculately handled--to the constant disruption of my conversation. It got to the point where I thought I might be on candid camera. Why do I constantly need 3 folks, 2 spoons and 2 knives throughout the entire dinner? Small point, but annoying. Otherwise, the meal took almost 3 hours to complete and it wasn't because we were lingering!

Otherwise, the ambiance was fine, although quite loud for such a small place. I would not describe it as "romantic."

But on to what's important--the food. Now here's a caveat: I'm a vegetarian. But trust me, I know what good food is, and the truth is, good chefs/cooks can create good food, period. We tried 3 different appetizers and 2 different entrees (one from the menu, one that they offered to "specially create" for us). Unfortunately, all of them were subpar. The "specially created" dish was actually inedible.

I don't have any idea why this place is so well reviewed when there is incredible food available elsewhere (Mache Bistro, Town Hill Bistro, XYZ, etc.)

• Visited July 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Seattle, Washington
“Much better than most...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

There were quite a few "tourist trap" restaurants in Bar Harbor where we were staying. The food was sub-par in all of them and the prices were outrageous!! We went to Red Sky on the recommendation of a foodie friend from NYC. DELICIOUS!!! The ambiance was fantastic, the wine was delightful and the food was really tasty!! We had a cold cucumber soup that was absolutely incredible, followed by mussels, and shrimp on a sweet potato lattke. I recommend ALL of them!! Then we split the lobster risotto, their signature dish. Overall, I would definitely say this is worth the 25 minute drive to Southwest Harbor.

• Visited August 2013