“Bad Experience” 1 of 5 stars

207-244-0033
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Good for: Families with children, Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Dinner, Dessert, Late Night, Reservations, Takeout
“Bad Experience”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

I have written only two bad reviews in my entire life but this is the worst. I ordered chicken Italiano on pasta and the pasta came dry as straw. I asked the waiter for more sauce and the owner came over 5-10 minutes later to explain they made the sauce to order. When I told her the pasta was dry and needed some sauce, she walked away indignant. About 15-20 minutes later, after my entire meal was cold, a small dish of sauce arrives. I told the waitress my meal was cold now and if they were going to simply microwave it I was not interested. She took the meal back and a few minutes came back for the sauce. Within 30 seconds my meal reappears after the cook simply tossed the cold chicken in the sauce. I could have done that! This is not a serious Italian restaurant. What is really disturbing is the owner came over and told my wife I might like the dish after I calmed down. Even our waiter had the good sense to say there was a new cook that was only so-so. At any rate , they charged us $103.00 pls tip and did not even have the decency to take my meal off the bill. I am sure the owner will write some dishonest response so please send me an email so you can hear the truth. Oh, by the way, they offered us free desert. I think I would prefer to eat my desert after my meal not first!

• Visited August 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
MaineDdx3, Manager at Demuros' Top of the Hill Restaurant, responded to this review, August 5, 2013
While I was distressed at your dissatisfaction with your (special order) meal, I walked away hurriedly~to accommodate your request for more sauce; which, I explained would take several minutes, as we do cook to the order, and we were at full capacity.
My attitude was on par with our interaction. The surrounding tables, who witnessed our exchange were very happy to let me know that you seemed quite over-the-top in your attitude with me and that I was more than accommodating. While I hate to have a customer leave unhappy, I recognize there's not much I can do if that's the way they came in to begin with.
I certainly hope your next dining experience lives up to your elevated expectations.
And, I, too would welcome any emails for those who would like a further depiction of our time together.

Chester, VT
“Great food and very accomodating”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013

Nice place with very considerate staff and patrons. We needed a little extra everything and the Top of the Hill people were right there. Sure, everything was not perfect but that's what happens when you order great food created by real people with lots of others in house. Thanks for a wonderful dinner, we'll be back.

• Visited August 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
MaineDdx3, Manager at Demuros' Top of the Hill Restaurant, responded to this review, August 4, 2013
Thank you so very much for taking the time to review us.
We look forward to the opportunity to please you again in the future.
And, yes~no one is perfect, but our true desire is for all of our guests to have a favorable, relaxing, and enjoyable experience from start to finish.
Guests like you make that easy.
See you soon!
D
Maywood, New Jersey
“Best on the island!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

We have been coming up to Mount Desert Island and driving by for many years. Decided to give this place a try and WOW! We have eaten in many places but this one is a true gem. Great home cooked food..Ambience! Always has great specials and I have yet to be disappointed. Don't miss out on this fab restaurant.

• Visited July 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“problems with scallops and the manager”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

Ordered combo whole belly clams and scallops, fried. The clams were good, no grit, but so tiny I wondered if they were within the 'legal limits' in size. Garlic peas were frozen peas, but tasty. The scallops were very fibrous and did not seem cooked enough initially, so sent back stating they were undercooked. They came back again the same, rubbery, fishy tasting and visibly fibrous. Both my husband and I felt they were not right. He had them on his fisherman's platter which included some good small shrimp and haddock, as well as the clams. A second time the scallops went back and the manager came over. She blamed us for the problem stating we should have specified we wanted them "well done." We live in NH and frequently eat scallops and other seafood as we are near the ocean. She stated they don't cook them that way at this restaurant. We told her that when we initially sent them back we stated they were "undercooked." She continued to be accusatory and argumentative. The scallops came back a third time, this time the cook had cut them in half crosswise in an effort to make them more well-done, but the texture and taste was still off, and they were translucent, rubbery and fishy vs. opaque, tender, and sweet. They were removed from our bill. We have since concluded that whatever these were, they were NOT sea scallops. While the Italian food might be better than the scallops, I would never return as I have never experienced a manager treat a customer so rudely.

• Visited July 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
MaineDdx3, Manager at Demuros' Top of the Hill Restaurant, responded to this review, July 27, 2013
I was going to copy and paste the response I gave to your husband when he also wrote to TA about the Scallops, but I would rather like to take a minute to say that I am not rude to my customers, I do all I possibly can to alleviate a problem with any of our guests. That said, I WILL NOT be a door mat, and not speak my mind. I and my husband put our hearts and souls into our business, which is why we have been here for nearly 2 decades~and I am a grown up who certainly has the right to defend myself, my staff, and my product~ especially when talking with someone who is obviously unfamiliar with the local fare~WHICH, BTW are LOCAL FRESH SCALLOPS...I'm not sure what you have been eating in New Hampshire, but you aren't on the water, so I assume whatever it is is FROZEN. Sorry. We stand behind our product. And, I am not a punching bag. If that's rude, then so be it.
I invite any and all to enjoy our seafood in the traditional and not so traditional ways that we proudly serve it.
Thank you for your time.
Please read my response to your husband below.
Roslyn Heights, New York
“Good choice for local seafood”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013 via mobile

We enjoyed the blackened scallops with blueberry sauce-excellent. The baked haddock was very tasty and fresh.
Recommend without reservation