“Mostly OK” 3 of 5 stars

207-244-0033
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Good for: Families with children, Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Takeout, Late Night, Dessert
“Mostly OK”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013 via mobile

Father's Day dinner suffered because they were short staffed. Long wait after drinks and bread arrived; manager (owner?) explained staffing situation, and brought second drinks, after first hour. Food finally arrived after large table seated after us got served; my "lazy man's stuffed lobster" was overcooked, but others' food was OK. Long wait for check and payment pickup. Difficult squeezing out of our space in small gravel parking lot.

Visited June 2013
MaineDdx3, Manager at Demuros' Top of the Hill Restaurant, responded to this review, July 1, 2013
In response to a couple of reviews of service during the packed house we experienced on Father's day; One of our waitresses was suddenly stricken with extreme Flu-like symptoms. While I was fully aware that this would make for a difficult evening, I chose to send her home immediately, as everyone's overall good health was my main concern. So, while I apologize for the delay with your bread and drinks, I take comfort in knowing that I probably saved your vacation.
We hope you will consider that when you are back in our area, and give our crew another chance to satisfy you with a wonderful dining experience.

Jersey Shore
“Best Meatballs ever!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

My husband and I went to Top of the Hill since it was close to the cabin that we were renting. We liked the country décor in the main dining room. The service was excellent! I ordered a Strawberry Fusion drink and it was excellent. So good that I ordered another, however, the second one didn't taste as good as the first. We ordered the monster meatballs as an appetizer and loved them! These babies are definitely home made. I had the stuffed haddock and it was very good. My husband got the lazy man's lobster and was not very satisfied since he thought there was little lobster meat in the dish and paid $29 for it. Otherwise, great little mom and pop type restaurant with great service and awesome meatballs!

Adelaide, Australia
“the calmari rules OK”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

Started with the best lightly cooked calamari ever! Main courses took a lot of deciding on but my shrimp bake was spot on. Would have liked to have fresh peas but the baked spud was just like mum uses to do.
Great value for money.
Beer selection was good and I negotiated to take home a rather good glass for my collection back home in Adelaide Australia.Thank you.

kcmo
“Party in your mouth...stupid GOOD!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

Do NOT leave the island without eating here...you will be delighted...scallops were cooked perfectly...italian dishes were amazing...perfect combination of spices & fresh local flavor...lovely presentation of food with cheerful servers...great, fun atmosphere...and wonderful owners with great stories to share...seasonal Maine Mojito was RIDICULOUSLY tasty...I had 2!
We will be hard pressed to find a restaurant that compares...fans for life, thank you for an evening of great food at reasonable prices...we will be back, again & again.
Kent & Amelia B

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Consistently good food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013

There are few restaurants on mount desert island that deliver consistently good food year after year. Top of the Hill is an exception. We recently had a lighter fare selection that was more than enough food and well prepared. The outside but enclosed deck is great. True, the highway and trees are the view but the food and service make the difference.

• Visited May 2013