“Pleasantly Surprised!” 4 of 5 stars

207-244-0033
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Good for: Families with children, Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Takeout, Late Night, Dessert
Highland Lakes, New Jersey
“Pleasantly Surprised!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012

We stopped in here a few days ago after needing a small break from the massive amounts of seafood. When you live in northern New Jersey, you kinda take for granted that pretty much every town has an amazing Italian Restaurant (or several) and begin to realize that when you travel out of state, you have to keep an open mind when comparing to your local specialties. I guess it would be similar to a Mainer ordering lobster out of state, or at a seafood chain restaurant. A realistic person is not going to expect it to be the same as at home. When I said I wanted to try the Spaghetti & Meatballs, and that the reviews were good, my italian wife who grew up with Nana off the boat from Italy gave me a funny look, but I still ordered anyways, and I'm glad I did.

We started out with an order of chicken wings, which was an appetizer special. Seriously, these were some of the best wings I have had. They were big, meaty, cooked perfect, crispy on the outside, and the sauces they used were a great touch. Napkins? No thanks, I licked my fingers clean!

Moving on to the entrees, first thing I thought when the food came out was how big the portions were, and watching the waitress walk by to other tables, you could just see that every dish was piled high. The meatballs were huge, bigger than baseballs, and very tasty. The sauce was homemade, and was also very good.

My wifes chicken dish was great, I only had the chicken because I didn't like the vegetables that were on it. She loved it, and after having a bite of the chicken which was cooked perfectly, I could see why.

Service was fine, our waitress was nice, and Deb the owner was walking around making small talk with everyone.

This would have been a 5 star review, the only reason it's not is they never brought out my wife's soup. We enjoyed the wings so much that we didn't realize until right before the main course came out. Not that big of a deal, we would still definitely go back next time we are in the area.

• Visited September 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

mpatvt
“Large portions, reasonable prices!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

Good fresh seafood and quick service! The portion sizes were huge! we got the fried seafod, scallops for me and the shrimp for the hubby. My little boy loved his alfredo pasta and there were a few other italian dishes on the menu too. The atmosphere is a bit kitschy but we felt comfortable bringing a toddler in so maybe thats a good thing. My husband said the fried shrimp were the best he's had!

Visited July 2012
“Nice Italian restaurant”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

Real friendly service. Greeted by the owner and when we told her we needed a warm place to sit, she put us under the heater and turn it upmfor us. Prices were fair and food is good. I had a nice meal with my family.

Atlanta
“Old restaurant that serves good food.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012

We stopped here on suggestion from a staff member at our motel. The place is older and on the main highway into Acadia Park. The food we ordered was delicious; meatballs the size of tennis balls (seriously). Would have given a better rating but the service was slow and left a bit to be desired.

Visited August 2012
Atlanta, Georgia, United States
“Great restaurant!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2012

This is one of our favorite restaurants on the island! The food is always consistent and the menu varied for all appetites. But the best aspect is being greeted by Debbie's friendly smile and that she always remembers our preferred cocktail.
Try to go on Saturday night when Roberta serenades you with the classics and and will allow you to accompany her on stage as many locals do-don't be shy!
Carol, Felicia and Joe,GA