“Its not a drive by” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #12 of 12 Hotels in South Portland
Plymouth, Minnesota
“Its not a drive by”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

We were on a 8 day vacation and decided to 'wing' the last couple of nights without reservations because we were not exactly sure where we wanted to go. The Econo Lodge was convenient and cheap so we made last minute reservations. Driving up, it looked pretty bleak--los of pealing paint and junk in the parking lot.

But room was fine-clean and comfortable.

Get there early for the 'continental breakfast' it goes fast.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Chilhowie, Virginia, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here a couple nights on business, and I was nervous about an Econo Lodge, but upon entering my room I was surprised. The room was better than I expected. It was pretty clean and comfortable. Bathroom was a little small. Biggest complaint was with the bed...it was older and I could feel the springs.

• Stayed June 2013
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

Upon arrival and seeing the reception area, I was quite leery of this hotel. Though the receptionist was friendly and helpful, the appearance of the lobby was off putting. I was taken by surprise when we entered our room. Nowadays many establishments are chintzy with the pillows and towels, so imagine my surprise that here was an Econo Lodge with FOUR PILLOWS on the bed! And big, fluffy pillows at that!! This may sound trivial, but for me a good night's sleep is directly related to lots of comfortable pillows!! I highly recommend this place for a comfortable yet cheap place to crash.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Rochester, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

As the hotel's name suggests, the Econo Lodge is one of the more value oriented hotels in the Portland area. We stayed here for 3 nights earlier this month; it was our second stay at this hotel in the past 15 months. Both experiences were pretty decent. The room was clean, well maintained, and stocked with fresh linens and toiletries each day. The bed was comfortable enough for sleeping. There were no disruptive guests or incedents to interfere with a good night's sleep

The front staff was pleasant and efficient. The wi-fi worked well enough. The complimentary breakfast was good, but each morning it lacked fresh fruit. I imagine that is what they do at this hotel, but I did suggest to Choice Hotels that this Econo Lodge should make that breakfast offering, as well as extend the breakfast hours beyond 9am - especially on week-end mornings.

Another consideration is the "ancient" TV in our room. It is an older tube model (as opposed to a contemporary flat screen). I was a little surprised to see that, thinking this hotel must be the last hotel in the country to have a tube TV. Not that watching TV in a hotel room is my priority; I just found it an oddity.

When we travel to Portland again, I imagine we'll consider the Econo Lodge for our hoteling needs. We really have no reason not to.

Room Tip: Ask to stay on the west side of the hotel (if possible); I believe those would be odd-numbered rooms...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Windsor Locks, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

Econo Lodge is located right behind Maine Mall, close access to many restaurants, most importantly close to bus stop because I had to go to Portland everyday and I do not have a car, bus stop is right across the street which solved my purpose and I got a good value stay. Friendly and helpful staff.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
LILLE, MAINE
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

Last stayed here in May 2007 and the hotel then was tired and in need of extensive renovations. so I have been lodging at other Portland hotels these past few years. I decided to try this place again because of the great rate that was being offered during this time of year.

I was able to park right outside my bedroom door which meant less distance to carry luggage. The room was quite comfortable, clean, and the beds were firm. The refrigerator and microwave were welcomed and put to good use. As a tall person I would have preferred the toilet to be the customary height rather than the one in the room that was very low. I did not make use of the room safe. My only negative is that there is a rather high step to take while enterring the room. One could easily trip if they're not careful.

The included breakfast was the customary fare for this class of property. There is no restaurant onsite but there are numerous in the Maine Mall across the road. A supermarket is a couple minutes down the road.

I was really impressed by the cleanliness and general condition of this Econo Lodge since my last stay. I have already booked another room here for next month.

Room Tip: Summer and fall rates tend to be higher at this and all other hotels in Portland due to Old Orchard...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
South Portland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

Location was great - next to the Maine Mall in South Portland. Room was clean - however, the maids need to clean thoroughly -- behind furniture - found paper wrappings behind the bed table when looking for a plug. It was moderately quiet after everyone settled down for the night. Staff was pleasant and friendly.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Been to Econo Lodge South Portland? Share your experiences!