You added Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites South Portland to your Saves list
Ranked #9 of 12 Hotels in South Portland
West Springfield, MA
“Great stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2006

The room was big & clean. The pool was very nice & warm. Fitness room was nice. Beds could be better, but were not bad. My only problem was noice bounces off walls, so it's bad if you have a travel companion that snores!

• Stayed May 2006

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
NH
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2006

Not so sure what all the bad reviews are about, and at least as of late, I wouldn't let them dissuade you from staying here. It's not the Ritz, but my room is clean, well furnished, and rather large. It's much less expensive than the Marriot across the street. The room is even appointed with a nice kitchenette. Am writing this on the hotel wireless. For the price, this is a great place. Perhaps I just lucked out with the room I got, but have had a great experience compared to the other reviewers.

• Stayed April 2006, traveled on business
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2006

I got this room for $50 through priceline. Overall, I was happy with my stay. Notable amenities included free wireless access, free breakfast, and use of the fitness center/pool. The fitness center was fine but they need to put out towels for the guests. My complaint was that I was apparently bitten by bed bugs (?) during the night. I woke up with four bites that have grown in size and intensity since I left. This happened to me before while staying at a hotel in Manhattan. Apparently the hotel chains need to fumigate and spray the beds more frequently. My doctor instructed me to wash all my clothes in hot water and spray my suitcase with a powerful insecticide. This certainly suggests that the hotel is less than thorough in its cleaning practices. I plan to call them and let them know.

• Stayed March 2006, traveled on business
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2006

I live in the area so I've sampled most of the local hotels for family "get away" weekends. This is NOT the hotel for a nice quiet fun weekend. Neighbors were loud (both next door and across hall). The pool is not heated. No hot tub. There are only about 10 tv stations. There are VCRs in the room but they don't have videos to lend (and local rentals don't carry vhs anymore). In room movies had limited kid rated options (2 under pg13). Breakfast is expanded contentental (no hot entrees) but have toaster w/ premade items. Don't plan to sleep in because it shuts down at 9:30am promptly. And they don't like to restock (9:10am and fruit was gone and kitchen staff wouldn't refill until I complained to manager). Beds weren't great either. Only plus's were large room w/ fridge and microwave. I won't stay here again.

• Stayed January 2006
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2006

/opening the door the decor was very gloomy it look like the bedspreads were never cleaned. there were hair's in the bathroom and pieces of paper's on the rug the furniture was all nick up and needed to be refurnished this place is definitely not sound proof either if you need a good quiet place to sleep this is not the place our problem was my husband was sitting on the unclean couch and getting bite by some kind of bugs at that moment we decided to leave when i went down stairs to give in my key the girl at the counter was talking so i just left the key on the counter because my husband was outside waiting and he was really upset i inform the manager of this problem by phone and he told me he would have a pesticide guy check it out after not returning a call as promise informing me on the condition of the room i call him back he never had a pesticide person check out the room but instead had a maintenance person check it out i realize on the way home that i saw a person in the elevator with a dog i believe their were flea's that were biting my husband i was told by the manager that they charge extra for a pet so the rooms can be exterminated but that doesn't mean that their are no flea's in the hall's that can get in your room don't bother the manager is definitely uncooperative and never kept his promise

• Stayed March 2006
bangor, maine
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2006

We stayed at Sable Oaks simply because it offered a low rate for the weekend we would be in Portland -- hadn't read any reviews. Generally we got what we paid for: a clean, affordable and conveniently located room. We took a nonsmoking room and caught no whiff of tobacco in the air. The bed was fine. The soundproofing wasn't great, and as our room was near the elevator, the elevator's bells did wake me up in the wee hours. But once I turned on the fan, it successfully drowned out hallway sounds as well as morning flights at the nearby airport, which is not a busy one. Yes, the TV offerings were less than lavish, room amenities were minimal, and the furniture was a little nicked up. But we were happy because what we saved on the room, we could spend on a fabulous meal at Hugo's!

• Stayed March 2006
Massachusetts
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2006

This hotel isn't horrible, but it is a long way from great. The rooms are large and reasonably clean, but the decor is gloomy, no-frills, and often downright shabby. Our room had a leaky sink and a toilet paper holder that kept falling off the wall. The furniture is nicked and torn and there are holes in the sheets and blankets too. But the staff was friendly and the pool and fitness room seemed okay and the free continental breakfast (from 6:30-9:30 a.m.) was fine. These awkwardly arranged yet spacious suites are perhaps a reasonable choice for families with children or the budget business traveler. If you can get a room from a discounter for under $60/night, you might feel that you got an okay deal. If you pay more than that, though, you will probably regret having chosen the Sable Oaks Suites.

• Stayed January 2006

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites South Portland? Share your experiences!