“good time” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 12 Hotels in South Portland
bangor, United States
“good time”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

had a great stay hotel staff was helpful and rooms were nice!!!! would be back if i wasn't able to stay at my brand, enjoyed how clean the rooms and bathroom were and loved how quiet my floor was also was loving how friendly the front desk staff was they made sure to smile at me and ask me how my stay was and point me in the direction of anything i needed, also the bar staff was friendly as well and had a nice selection of alcohol

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Nick S, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Portland, ME, responded to this review, June 13, 2013
Thank you for staying at the DoubleTree during your trip to Portland, Maine. It is very nice to hear that you enjoyed your visit, and the staff will be happy to hear your feedback of them. Even if we aren't your first brand choice, think of us in the future! Thank you again for choosing us.

Warmest Regards,

Rooms Division Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
Portland, Maine
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

This unusually designed two-tower hotel was beside I-95, across from Maine Mall, and a short drive from the Portland International Jetport. Ample free parking was onsite. Front desk service was courteous and business-like. Check-in was a snap. Impressively, neither hallway nor room had any telltales of stale tobacco smoke. The room was small but contemporarily furnished. Bedding and furniture surfaces looked clean. The bathroom was pristine. All expected gratis toiletries were out. In-room free wireless was easy to access. Heating worked well. Vertical privacy curtains shut out ambient light. Traffic noise was just a low hum. I ate at a restaurant across the street, so I’ve no insights about hotel fare. A wake-up call came at the hour requested. The free 24-hour airport shuttle was welcome and convenient. The shoulder season room rate seemed surprisingly high for such a small city and for a hotel without any significant tourist or business attractions nearby. Other than this one aspect, I was quite satisfied with my overnight stay here.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Thank you for choosing our property during your visit to Portland, Maine. I'm very happy to hear that your stay was successful and pleasant. I will be sure to pass along your detailed feedback to our team. Thank you again for staying with us. I look forward to seeing you again someday soon!

Boston, MA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

I was able to book this hotel on a whim over a particularly hot weekend on the East Coast at a reasonable rate for what is typically a very expensive city with regards to weekend getaways. (That was primarily due to the fact that the hotel offered cash + point availability, which is something I wish more Hilton properties would do.) The location is actually in South Portland, but I actually preferred it to staying within the Old Port. Parking is free and plentiful, it's a minute away from the highway, and you can get downtown in maybe 6-7 minutes with moderate traffic. The hotel's across the street from the Maine Mall, which has plenty of shopping, and there's a variety of restaurants within a two-minute drive. The hotel literally shares a parking lot with a Cracker Barrel and a Chipotle. There's no reason to eat here.

Checkin was very pleasant; even though I'm a mere HHonors Gold member, the shift manager showed me to the elevators and gave me her card to get in contact if there were any issues with my room. She made my upgrade to an Executive Floor room clear, apologized for not offering a suite, and made the hours and details of the Executive Lounge very clear. The woman running the lounge was equally nice and insisted that I take a drink out of the lounge during my brief visit. Of the Hilton lounges that I've seen, this was among the cleanest and most comfortable; the only superior lounge I've seen was at the Conrad in Hong Kong, and that's a significantly more expensive hotel. I really hope this lounge sticks around. (One downside: no cookie available at the front desk during my mid-afternoon checkin. I didn't see a cookie out front the entire time I was there, which is weird for a brand that's partly built around having that cookie available.)

The room itself felt newer than I expected. The pillows were a little erratic for my liking; the firms were too firm and the softs were too soft. The bed itself was comfortable, and the hotel had lights with power outlets built into the base, so I didn't have to schlep under a desk or unplug anything to find an outlet or two. Television was new-ish as well. Only downside was the bathroom, which looked and felt old; there were a few noticeable chips in the tub, the water pressure in the shower was subpar, and a sign on the door suggested that you keep the door closed when you shower out of a fear of setting off the smoke alarm. And the wi-fi cut out at times, too.

I was genuinely surprised to find that the hotel had a pool; it's an indoor pool with scaffolding blocking out most of the sunlight. The water temperature overall was a little chilly, even for a warm day, and there were a noticeable number of hot/cold spots in the pool. It's actually reasonably deep on one end at five feet, and it's big enough to swim laps, even with an extended family splashing around.

Overall, though, this was a good property. I'd stay here without status at a reasonable rate, but the executive lounge and the cash+points availability make it a well above-average stay.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Nick S, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Portland, ME, responded to this review, June 6, 2013
Thank you for your response from your most recent visit with us. In large part your response is a microcosm of the exact service level and expectations we strive to achieve for each and every one of our guests. We especially appreciate all of our Hilton Honors guests as they are so loyal to the brand. I would like to thank you for your loyalty and choosing us during your visit to this area. Please think of us again in the future and feel free to contact me directly!

Warmest Regards,

Woodstock, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

Clean, up-to-date facility. Only problem is your room might be right next to highway and jetport. Also can hear other guests through walls, esp. babies. Efficient check-in, check-out and overall good value

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Nick S, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Portland, ME, responded to this review, June 4, 2013
Thank you for staying with our property during your visit to Portland, Maine. I'm very happy to hear that overall you enjoyed your visit with us. I'll be sure to pass along all of your feedback with the staff and our team is continuing to look at areas that we can improve, including the quietness of guest rooms. Please think of us again for future visits and feel free to contact me directly.

United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

Very poor service in the dining room -- dinner: only one waitress for 17 customers at the bar AND restaurant and bar patrons also ordered dinner. She raced around trying to get to everyone but it was impossible. I ordered the $13 lobster quesadilla -- an exceedingly small serving. Breakfast: only two other customers in the restaurant and waited 20 minutes for order to be served; no refill of coffee and waitress was in kitchen for 15 minutes and I had to ask another waitress for the check.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
I'd like to thank you for choosing to stay with our property during your visit to Portland, Maine. While the content of your feedback regarding our dining services is difficult for me to hear, I appreciate you letting us know so that we can take the appropriate action with of our restaurant management team. Service from every aspect is important to our property and I truly apologize for the short comings that you experienced.
Thank you once again for staying with us. If you change your mind and decide you would like to stay with us in the future, please feel free to contact me directly.

Warm Regards,

Boston
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

We have stayed here a couple of times while visiting Portland, definitely a better deal than other times where we've stayed directly in Old Port, as you dont have to pay daily for parking, and its only a 15 min drive from this hotel to downtown Portland.

The front desk have always been friendly, the rooms clean and spacious, though the bathroom is a bit dated and the shower head could also be upgraded.

I'm also a big fan of their yummy welcoming cookies!

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Nick S, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Portland, ME, responded to this review, June 1, 2013
Thank you for choosing to stay with our property while you are in the Portland area. I'm very happy to hear that the service and cleanliness were high points of your visits. I'll be sure to pass along your feedback regarding your visits with our team.
As a future note, we are going to be working on our bathrooms!
Please feel free to contact me directly the next time you visit the Portland area.

Quispamsis, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

We were very pleased with the Doubletree Hotel. The rooms are nicely decorated, very clean and spacious, and the King Bed was very comfortable.
This was the best hotel we stayed at during our road trip.
Ample lighted parking, great customer service, and a great looking property.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Nick S, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Portland, ME, responded to this review, May 28, 2013
Thank you for your feedback from your recent visit to our property. I'm very happy to hear that you enjoyed your visit and got a great night’s sleep on our Hilton sweet dreams mattresses! I will be sure to pass along your feedback to our team. Thank you again for choosing to stay with our property during your visit to the Portland area. Please think of us next time!

Rooms Division Manager

Been to DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Portland, ME? Share your experiences!