“Convenient and practical” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 12 Hotels in South Portland
Boston
“Convenient and practical”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2012

Stayed here overnight during a business trip through Maine. The rounded tower construction gave the room an interesting shape. The staff were very pleasant on check-in (and, of course, you get the great cookie!). The room was clean and comfortable, and the free wifi was a nice perk. Good water pressure, which I always appreciate, and easy check-out. The hotel is located in the middle of a number of strip malls so there are a number of places nearby to grab a meal.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
Arlington, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2012

When we arrived at our room, the door was almost closed, but not locked, and we did not need a key to enter. My protest to the front desk was met with disinterest: the clerk said, "Oh, housekeeping must have forgotten to shut the door." When I asked for a different room, I was told that the only other rooms available would cost $15 extra for the night. I'm rankng the room cleanliness as "terrible" because I have no assurance that it was clean, and it definitely was not secure before I arrived. Decor, bed comfort, etc. were fine, but I just can't get over the unlocked door.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
hartford
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2012

I have been staying at this property for several years. It was always adequate when a wyndham property but doubletree by hilton has defineitely upgraded rooms and facade of hotel. New flatscreens in room. Fitness center is really improved with flatscreens on walls and new exercise equipment that is state of art. I read previous reviews and yes in a room that has a door with adjoining room you can hear a person like it is in the same rooom. I almost switched rooms but the person said good nite to his wife and then nothing. In previous stays this has never happened probably because i asked to be up higher and over looking the Maine Mall which is the quiet side. I also ordered room service as had a big project to finish and was prompt and friendly service. This is my second night here as I write and noone is in room next door so really quiet. I got this room on priceline for $50 plus tax and fees. I am out 75 nights a year and for the money and quality of room would stay here again.

Room Tip: high up across from mall
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Asheville
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2012

I was a regular customer of the this hotel when it was a Wyndham for several years and always enjoyed my stay. I was very happy upon my recent return in late February to find that it had been given a major facelift and was now a DoubleTree hotel, which is part of the Hilton family. This works great for me as a frequent traveler since I collect Hilton points. The new look on the outside is amazing, but the inside was even more amazing. The restaurant has been completely redone as well as the indoor pool area. I also took advantage of the fitness center that had all new equipment. My room was much better than before when it was the Wyndham with new furniture and a flat screen. It was an overall great experience that I would highly recommend to anyone traveling into the Portland area.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Mapleton, Maine
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2012

To begin, this hotel was originally a (very low-rated) Wyndham resort, before that it was a (just as low-rated) Sheraton. I booked a "Three star hotel stay in Portland, Maine" through Hotwire and ended up getting the Wyndham resort back in December. I was told that I would receive a continental breakfast, and amenities included a hot tub. I called the day before my stay to find out that the hotel had been bought by Hilton and changed into the DoubleTree, and that my stay was cancelled (this would have meant that I would have lost all my money as Hotwire would not refund me for something like this, even if it was their fault) - I did get everything settled with a 1-800 HILTONS rep and our trip was still on.
PART 1: STOLEN BREAKFAST?!
We got to the hotel to receive very friendly service, the manager on duty was very courteous and asked us how we were enjoying our stay, and we said that it was great. Later that night I read the DoubleTree guide we had in our room and called the main office to ask when the complimentary breakfast was to be told that they do not offer a complimentary breakfast, but encouraged us to come downstairs in the morning to pay ~$10 per person to eat in the morning. We already budgeted for the complimentary breakfast, we spoke to management and stayed very courteous, the manager on duty, a heavy set man told us to come down the next day and we would have a voucher ready; sure enough when we came down we received a "free breakfast" voucher for the remainder of our stay (4 days). We had a few problems with our room (alcohol and soda bottles under the bed, our room overlooked the dump and a slew of construction in the back, and we were not given a fridge and microwave as Hotwire promised, I don't like eating out at restaurants for 4 days since it usually makes a family member sick, would have rathered preparing my own food), but otherwise sucked it up so we could try and enjoy the hotel. On our second day, the waitress took our breakfast coupon and told us to go get extras at the front desk, since she would need to staple them to our receipts. We went down later that night to find out that a new manager on duty, a young woman ended up revoking the decision that the heavy-set manager had given us on Sunday night. We brought this up and ended up getting into an argument with a staff member, which I regret as this wasn't her fault that management was not only lying to each other, but me and my party. The manager came out and I kept bringing up that she had no right taking away something that her staff already gave, and put her in my situation. She had nothing to say, but would also not budge, in fact she said that I should be happy they don't charge me for the first two days. Charge me? For your manager and staff members giving me a free breakfast? No thanks, that's a court case waiting to happen. She threw another lie out that a reviewer on this hotel actually proved wrong, she said that they have NEVER in the HISTORY of the new Hilton given out complimentary breakfast coupons to anyone who books through a third party, and cut up Hotwire, in fact the whole staff did end up talking trash about Hotwire guests.
Part 2: WATCH OUT THIRD-PARTY BOOKERS!
This hotel had about three or four guests in the east tower, I'm sure the hotel is not doing that good where they can afford to bash websites that sell their incredibly numerous empty rooms at SLIGHTLY discounted rates (paid $20 less than the hotel room was actually worth to deal with all this trouble and be treated as if my party was garbage throughout the entire stay). At the end I was told that Hilton gold HHonors members are given free breakfasts, I AM a hilton gold HHonors member, I should have booked through Hilton.com and brought a few more members of my family with me so they could eat that breakfast buffet out of business. Out of sheer honesty though, this wasn't the restaurant staff, the reception staff or any other staff members fault, (in fact, the maids were courteous, our waiter and waitress for breakfast were incredible and the receptionists were very nice to us and did bring our problems to management) this problem is at the management level. The management lie to each other and they lied to me, I made my point known to both managers who ran out of words to say, they knew that what they did was wrong, they knew they've fixed it before. The woman who took my coupon worked at the former Wyndham, maybe that's why it went out of business. The owners of this Hilton need to realize that just because someone books with Hotwire, it doesn't mean that they're cheapos who don't book through Hilton.com. Spent over $4000 throughout the chain using hilton.com to get this pathetic treatment from a woman who won't back her staff or management.
Part 3: GO ELSEWHERE, GET MORE VALUE FOR YOUR $$$!
The last day our wifi went out, after realizing how horrible this hotel was really beginning to become, we decided to check out early. For the $60 that we paid per night, I could have got a room at the Super 8 that included a breakfast, wi-fi, hot tub and courteous management. My next visit to Portland will be to the Embassy Suites, where I rarely ever have problems and receive a spacious room with a kitchenette and full breakfast for only a few dollars more. I will never stay at this DoubleTree hotel again, and I will make sure that other groups that I have helped advise for their business gatherings to take their gatherings elsewhere. If I have any advice for the management at this hotel, it's to straighten up a bit and learn how to work with their customers. I would probably stop cutting-up Hotwire, too; from the looks of it, with the four days at this empty hotel, if you want to keep your paychecks and that hotel in business, you need them and people like us, the Hotwire customers.

Room Tip: If you have to stay here, try a room on the higher floor, and demand it to overlook the mall. This h...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Fredericton, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2012

We stayed at this hotel for three nights - now called the Doubletree by Hilton. When we checked in, we were pleased with the size of our room and the cleanliness of the room. We decided to check out the pool, got dressed and headed downstairs to find out that it was actually closed to maintainence - wish we had been told this at checkin, but not a big deal.

Paul at the bar is great - he gave us lots of great recommendations for bars, pubs and shops to check out in Portland and Maine. Very friendly & great service.

The first night we headed to bed and instantly could hear noise through the wall that our bed was against - the walls are paper thin, I could make out the exact conversation that the man was having in the next room. The second night I was kept awake but the person next door snoring!!! Unless you are a very heavy sleeper I wouldn't recommend staying at this hotel (I wear earplugs and could still hear the people next door).

Also disappointing was on the night we came home from a day in Boston and wanted a quiet night in and watch a movie on TV - but bad the internet and cable were out. When we called the front desk, the girl didn't seem to understand what was going on, but eventually told us there was "nothing she could do" as it was a "service-wide outage" that had been going on for atleast 4 hours. We had hoped to get some emails for work done, but she was unable to tell us anywhere else that we could go (Coffee shop for example) that was nearby, that we could access wi-fi. She also had no idea when the problem would be fixed. The outage continued all night and around 10am the next day, we called the front desk again, who said there was nothing they could do because it "wasn't their fault" - if the power went out, it wouldn't be their fault but we would still expect some kind of apology for the service and maybe compensation to make the customer happy with their stay. It would have been nice if they had recommended somewhere that we could access internet, an explanation as to what was going on and when we could expect it to be fixed (we didn't think this was too much to ask).

Eventually we were offered a complimentary breakfast, which was ok - we had the breakfast buffet which seemed like it had been sitting out for a couple of hours. When opening the heated covered plates the food was in, condensation poured onto the food... doesn't make for good pancakes!

Also heater in the room warmed up the room, then blew out cold air. Couldn't bother to try to figure out the problem so we just left it turned off.

Overall this hotel was "ok" - we booked it on Hotwire and got a good deal. I wouldn't go back because I'm a very light sleeper and the noise from adjoining rooms is too much. Service was good, especially at the bar, and rooms were clean and spacious. The mall was right across the street from the hotel which was great. If you need a taxi, ASAP taxi had great service-turned the meter off and gave us a tour of Old Port.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Ottawa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2012

We booked the Wyndham using Hotwire and appreciated its location across from the Maine Mall. The check-in was fast without any problems. Our room was clean and large. We ate one night in the hotel, the meal was average, and on the second evening we went across the parking lot to the Cracker Barrel. The hotel is just off the interstate and it was not too far to downtown Portland. For the price we paid, this was a good place to stay. The only reason I gave an "average" rating is that the experience was not exceptional.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Portland, ME? Share your experiences!