“Not what I expected in a Marriott” 2 of 5 stars

Special Offer
$25 Daily Credit
Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in South Portland
Boston, Massachusetts
“Not what I expected in a Marriott”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2014

Upon check in all of our requests were met except the high floor. The hotel was nice enough but not special. We had to request our breakfast vouchers BOTH days. I paid extra for a service I had to stay on top of to get. The hot tub in the pool room was broken. The cleaning service, paper delivery AND housekeeping all ignored the dirty dish I left in the hall, 70% of the guests were on the same floor, in the same area. The restaurant was nice. It needs to simplify some of it's menus. Sometimes less us more. As an elite member I felt I was not cared for. I was floored that had I not asked I'm not sure I would have gotten my breakfast vouchers. When I let the lounge waitress know it was husbands birthday, nothing was done for him. When I requested a bakery in the area, the front desk told me hannaforfs or friendly's. It just wasn't worth what I paid, regrettably.

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Ed_Palmer, General Manager at Portland Marriott at Sable Oaks, responded to this review, April 16, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to complete the TripAdvisor Review and sharing your experience with the Portland Marriott at Sable Oaks. I apologize that your recent stay was not satisfactory and appreciate your feedback. There is no excuse for the issues that you had during your stay but I would like to assure you that these are not common problems here at Sable Oaks. I could make excuses but the bottom line is that we failed you and your husband in several different areas.

You’re a valued customer; everything we do is aimed at providing you with an excellent hotel experience. Please be assured that we are taking immediate corrective steps to avoid such problems in the future. As a gesture of our good will, we would like to offer a refund of one nights room and tax from your stay. You will see this credit applied to your Visa card. Please contact me directly when you are ready to make your next reservation for our property.

If you would like to discuss your experience further, please feel free to contact me directly at the phone number listed below. Once again, please accept my apology. We would like to regain your trust and we hope you will allow us an opportunity to provide you with an exceptional guest experience when your travels bring you back to this area. Please note that I had already answered your survey through the Marriott guestVoice system with this same response.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
Maine
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2014

We stayed here over the weekend and had a horrible experience. The rooms were small and the hotel was very noisy. There were kids running up and down the halls until late in the evening! When we checked in we were told that they had an excellent breakfast buffet so in the morning we went down to check it out. The food was good but when we were done the waitress brought us a bill for $77 for for four of us! I went right to the front desk and asked about the bill and was just told 'your package didn't include breakfast.' Very very disappointed!!

Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Ed_Palmer, General Manager at Portland Marriott at Sable Oaks, responded to this review, April 12, 2014
MaineChick79, Thank you for your feedback on your stay here at the Marriott Sable Oaks. I am very sorry to hear that the noise from the other guests in the hotel was disturbing. We had a basketball team, a wrestling team and a competition dance team in the hotel at the time you were here. We staff additional personnel to try to maintain peace and quiet whenever we have teams in the hotel. Again I am sorry as I know how disruptive that can be to a restful experience. Our breakfast buffet is priced competitively within our area. The buffet has a full range of cold offerings from muffins and fruits to granola and cereals. Hot offerings include omelets made to order, breakfast meats, hash browns, waffles, hot cereals and bagels. This is all offered at all you can eat. I hope you will again give us an opportunity to serve you in the future here at Sable Oaks. I would be happy to treat you to breakfast the next time you are in our area. Best regards Ed Palner
Boston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2014

I stayed her over the week-end with my family as my son was attending a basketball tournament at Univeristy of Southern Maine.

I must say that from my first call to the hotel to book a reservation until after I had already checked out but had to run back up to the room to get some jackets I left in the closet the people working at this hotel could not have been more friendly, accomodating and genuinely interested in making sure we had a great stay.

Need a roll away bed for our big family? No problem, it was in the room made up and ready upon our arrival! Extra towels? Done. Keeping any eye on the kds while checking in? no problem.

We were warmly greeted by the Manager on Duty when walking into the hotel. I happened to mention to her that we were here for a basketball tournament but that I brought my other young kids with us so they could have a "Vacation". After getting settled into the room, I took the 3 kids down to the pool while my wife went shopping at the Mall bascially across the street. When we got back to the room, as I was getting changed, my 5 year old said "Dad the "Junk Fairy" came." I thought he was telling me we left the room a mess. When I finished changing he showed me. It was a table full of goodies (not all junk!) pretzels, popcorn, granola bars, candy bars and chocalate milk for the kids!! There was also a nice bottle of wine with 2 glasses for the adults! I was blown away. There was a nice note wishing us a good time on our "vacation" from the manager! I've stayed at a lot of very nice places in my time, including a week at the Ritz on one of our family vacations , and have to say that the service here is some of the best we've ever had!!

I also come up to Maine a few times of year for week end or longer getaways and will definately be back to the Marriott. It really is conveniently located, just about a ten minute drive into the Old Port area of Portland.

I also have to say that the food here was very good. On Saturday night, after a long day of baskeball games, we decided to eat at the hotel restaurant Fire & Water. It was a crazy busy night (between a work conference and it being the NCAA semi finals!) but the service and food was really good, I had a delicious piece of Haddock and my wife had the Lobster pasta. They have a very good selection of beer, all top shelf liquor and a decent wine list. Because it was so busy the Manager on Duty was there helping serve, and clear and do whatever else was necessary, she was amazing.

Our package rate included breakfast which was a very good buffet, with lots of choices and fresh made waffles and omelets. The chef cooking the breakfast could not have been nicer and was very helpful and nice to the kids.

On our way to breakfast, at 7 am I saw the same Manager from the night before already working! That is dedication.

All in all a great stay. We will be back.

Room Tip: We had a room on the second floor which was great for accessing the pool and fitness rooms. Would d...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Bangor, Maine
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2014

Room was clean and pleasant. Staff were friendly and helpful. My view of a parking lot and, apparently, the power base for the hotel--it emitted a noticeable buzzing sound which could be heard in the room throughout my stay--were less than exciting but I was at a conference and didn't spend much time in the room anyway. Didn't check out the fitness center or pool but the bar area was also pleasant. The hotel is conveniently located near the mall and I-95, so it was an easy trip into the Old Port for dinner or other activities.
I was a bit surprised that although housekeeping had carts lined up outside my room 8:30ish when I left for the conference, when I came back during the 3 pm break the room had not been done. Didn't matter as I was at the conference till 4:30 but would have been a problem if I'd been there with family, who usually want to rest in the room around 3 or 4.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that does not overlook the power area.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Ed_Palmer, General Manager at Portland Marriott at Sable Oaks, responded to this review, April 7, 2014
Dear sk8lady, We appreciate your feedback on your room with us here at the Marriott Sable Oaks. I was glad to hear that you found the rooms to be clean and pleasant and our staff to be friendly and helpful. I'm sorry that the humming noise outside your room was disruptive. It is always our aim to not only meet your expectations but to exceed them. We hope you will return to stay with us in the future as your patronage is greatly appreciated. Regards, Ed Palmer
Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2014

This was our first time here. The desk staff was friendly and helpful, we checked in (Priceline) and checked out the next day in less than a minute each time. The room was immaculate the only point I must note is that there were several hairline cracks in the sink. There were double beds but they were smaller than I am used to seeing in a major hotel chain such as this - they weren't bad just not as wide as one would like. The Sunday brunch was great, there is an omelette chef who makes them to order and they were delicious. We also had the lobster omelette off the menu which was excellent, fresh and tasty and a large portion. This hotel is next to the jetport and the Maine Mall and not that far from the center of town.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Miller Place, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2014

Very nice hotel in a great location. Rooms are bright and well appointed. Ten minutes from "Old Portland". Very close to the Jetway, shopping and too many restaurants to list.
Staff is always courteous, helpful and very professional.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Freeport, Maine
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2014

Stayed in room 501 for one night. Two (super small) double beds, lots of natural light, good desk space and plenty of outlets. Very close to airport and Maine Mall.

Check-in was easy and friendly and all the staff I encountered were friendly. Had dinner in the restaurant - good service and decent food. Had room service - pre-ordered the night before - and it arrived exactly on time.

Self-parking was easy. No bellman in evidence.

Free wi-fi, always appreciated.

Not much in the way of amenities - no robe or slippers, toiletries so-so. The bedding was good but the comforter was v. light and not enough keep me comfortably warm (no extra bedding in room).

All in all a decent business hotel if the price is right.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Laurie H, Executive Housekeeper at Portland Marriott at Sable Oaks, responded to this review, March 15, 2014
MaineIzzy, we appreciate your feedback on your stay here at the Marriott Sable Oaks. I am sorry to hear that your stay overall was not what you expected. We do offer robes in our rooms on the 6th floor Concierge level but always have on hand for guest upon request. Also, I would like to apologize that your were not warm enough. I would like to add these request to your profile to ensure that on your future stays with us all these items will be in your guest room upon arrival. If this is something you would like, you can contact me at lhamann@marriott-sableoaks with your name so that I can create the profile for you. Thank you for staying with us, we look forward to hearing from you soon.

Laurie Hamann|Executive Housekeeper
Portland Marriott at Sable Oaks|200 Sable Oaks Drive, South Portland, ME 04106
p 207.871.8000|f 207.871.7971|e lhamann@marriott-sableoaks.com

Been to Portland Marriott at Sable Oaks? Share your experiences!