“Solid hotel close to PWM” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
FREE Wi-Fi
Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in South Portland
Highland Beach, Florida
“Solid hotel close to PWM”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2013

This hotel is typical marriott with a very friendly staff close to PWM. Club Lounge well run with outgoing staff offering breakfast and cocktails / snacks. Solid choice in Portland, Maine. You can't go wrong.

Stayed November 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
Tallahassee, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013

The Sable Oaks Marriott has become our regular hotel when we are visiting Portland, usually for a night or two before we fly back south after a Maine vacation. The location is excellent - not too far from Portland, Freeport and Cape Elizabeth - and just 5 minutes from the airport. The setting is very quiet - our room overlooked trees and a lawn - very pretty and peaceful. The rooms are very comfortable and clean. The lobby bar is a great place to watch the game and have some drinks and snacks. We had dinner in the restaurant the last night we were there and the food was very good. Their signature salad is delicious! The lobby has a computer center that makes early flight check-in very easy - no charge.

Room Tip: Request a room overlooking the back of the property - very quiet and pretty view.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Moncton, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2013

We made a mistake of checking in later in the day and the hotel was fully booked!! Well, the lovely girl on the front desk offered us the suite since we we're staying two days. Nice! After grabbing a couple of warm cookies we headed to the suite.
I really don't want to complain about a nice deed but boy, was this place dated. I haven't seen Spanish style furniture in years!! The bedroom was nice..I've always loved a marriot bed..nothing nicer. But the living room area was old.. The maid must have wiped the flat screen tv with a dirty rag, because it was scratched and hazy. When I turned the light on in the bedroom, it arched but they can as soon was we called the maintenance. Anyway. We had a great stay, but I wouldn't pay the price they wanted too stay in the suite. I'd be very disappointed.

Room Tip: It's a preference thing...lots to offer.
Louisville, Kentucky
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

We were on the concierge level (6th floor) and when we walked into our room there was a terrible smell, like dirty socks. We asked to be moved and the second room was much better - no smell or odor. The concierge lounge served a light dinner of two different green salads, fresh fruit, hot pork dumplings and mini butternut squash quiche. Very filling and satisfying. Complementary wine and beer and there was a refrigerator filled with bottled water, sodas and juice. Plenty of seating an two TV.
We chose this hotel because it was close to the airport and they offer shuttle service.

Room Tip: Concierge level offers complimentary light dinner and breakfast.
Corinth, Maine
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013 via mobile

Had a good stay here. Some staff were so pleasant (manly housekeeping) and some were snooty. So weren't the fellow customers. We went on our honeymoon with our baby.... I understand its a business hotel but STILL we paid just as much as everyone else.

The $15 per person breakfast is ridiculous. We stayed at two other places that had a free continental breakfast that had more food and nicer staff... the " buffet" is a gimic.

The pool was clean and enjoyable minus the people who were annoyed by my 10 month olds squeals of joy.

Clean Rooms. Comfy beds and OKAY staffing.

• Stayed September 2013
Boston, Massachusetts
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

I recently traveled for business and stayed as part of a group during early October. I was provided a room on the conceirge level (6th floor) and had a distant view of the Maine Mall. The room was set back from the road and you could not hear any distractions.

The room was standard (2 queen beds) with a work station and a flat screen television. The maid service was generally good although they tended not to get to the room until after 3PM each day.

I was disappointed in two things with the hotel:

1) the bathroom smelled musty and like mildew. The caulk around the tub showed evidence of mildew. It could use an update and maintenance should be regularly addressing mildew issues for their travelers.

2) the conceirge service offered great food but the staffer in the evening was rude. After a long drive to get to the hotel, I went Sunday evening to get something to drink and see what they had to eat. The male staffer wanted to know what I wanted - a juice I said. A juice - all you want is a juice? The juice is warm - you know that right? No, I didn't know that and I didn't care - I just wanted a juice. I asked him if it was okay to get a plate of food and his comment was that's what it was there for. Needless to say, I didn't need to ask another thing from him my entire visit.

My experience with Marriott hotels are almost always extremely positive. This will not go down in my memory as an enjoyable place to stay or return or recommend.

Standard service all around.

Good for most but disappointed as a Marriott Gold Rewards traveler.

Room Tip: Upper floor facing towards Portland would be ideal.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Avon, Connecticut, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

I agree with reviewers who commented on the "musty smell" of their room. However, we opened our window, ran the a/c and when we returned the room was considerably fresher (perhaps the hotel should consider trying this prior to assigning rooms).

I agree with some reviewers who suggested the dark, older furnishings could truly use a "refresh." I agree with reviewers who described the property as "older" and in need of "updating."

I disagree with reviewers who suggested the staff was less than professional and cordial. Our experience with every staff member we encountered was, at a minimum, pleasant and most were warm and extremely helpful. I regret I did not get the name of the desk agent who checked us in -- she was both efficient and personable. Carl, in the Concierge Lounge, is a true asset to those guests who have lounge access.

It's a shame the property has the tough part -- customer service -- conquered and are only lacking the easy part, capital investment to improve the physical plant. This is one of many properties owned and managed by a large hospitality group which would be well-served to invest in improving this property.

Also consider these accommodations in or near South Portland
BEST WESTERN Merry Manor Inn
#2 of 12 in South Portland
4.0 of 5 stars 796 reviews
Hampton Inn Portland Downtown - Waterfront

Been to Portland Marriott at Sable Oaks? Share your experiences!