“Clean, comfortable stay. Very friendly staff.” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Free Parking
Ranked #4 of 12 Hotels in South Portland
Boston, Massachusetts
“Clean, comfortable stay. Very friendly staff.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2013

This is a typical Courtyard Marriott - clean, inviting spaces, friendly, professional staff. The business center in the middle of the lobby was not something I'd seen before, but a nice touch. The room was very clean, the bed was comfortable, we did not hear the heat at night. We were only there for one night - did not go to the pool or fitness center. The breakfast was pricy and not good - I'd recommend going elsewhere for breakfast.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Stefanie K, Guest Service Representative at Courtyard by Marriott Portland Airport, responded to this review, December 29, 2013
Thank you so much for putting a little time aside to leave us a review on TripAdvisor. It is definitely pleasing to hear that you had a good time and enjoyed all we had to offer here at the Courtyard. Also happy to hear that you found our staff friendly and professional. We look forward to hopefully seeing you stay with us again in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2013

Fought some holiday traffic to find the place. When I got there i figured i was in for the standard Courtyard which was what i got when i saw the lobby. Nice and modern with the lil cafe and tables/chairs. Had a little issue at check-in that was not resolved which made me question their customer service. Once i got to the room i was pleasantly surprised. It was huge for a Courtyard, nice big bathroom too. Had a nice small fridge and plenty of room to move about. I really liked the setup since have been staying in lots of small rooms lately. The beds and pillows not the most comfy ever but not horrible. The room was pretty quiet even though i was near the elevator and ice machine. Shower had plenty of hot water and nice new towels. Better than expected though customer service may need some additional training.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Coconut Creek, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2013

I didnt spend much time in this hotel. It was 1 am, cold, pouring rain and i couldnt find the Fairfield INN, also owned by Mariott. I was very tired. When I saw the Mariott Courtyard in South Portland (off of Maine Mall road) , I thought I actually finally found my hotel and that Mariott simply changed the name. Unfortunately that wasnt the case.

My initial impression by the lobby was it was your typical mid to upper level Category hotel from Mariott but as stated, it was simply a hotel to sleep in for 9-10 hours where in the day light, I could search for the other property. The surprise came when I awoke to take a shower. I noticed the sheets had blood stains (see the attached pic). At first I thought they were mine but it wasnt the case so I became a bit queasy afterwards. I would have noticed it right away had I not been so tired but there is no excuse for the courtyard to make a bed like this. How could you miss blood stains? And isn’t this sort of thing regulated?

I sent pics of the sheets to Mariott customer care. I was a bit surprised not to hear a reply. I suppose that sometimes you do not NOT get what you pay for. I am still a bit shocked over it. We are talking Mariott Courtyard here. I mean Really????

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Dayna R, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Portland Airport, responded to this review, December 10, 2013
I am so sorry that there were stains on your sheets. Our standard is not to use sheets with stains of any kind on them. I apologize that somehow the stains on your sheets were overlooked. I will certainly follow up with housekeeping and use your experience as a training tool to help us maintain our high standards of cleanliness.

Thank you for bringing this to our attention, and for your continued loyalty to Marriott.
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2013

We opted for the best price rather than mere proximity. We stayed 3 nights while visiting Portland and we were within 10 minutes of everything that we needed. The Marriott was very clean, the rooms were nice and spacious and the staff was always very polite. I am happy with our choice and I would absolutely stay here again, if I ever decided to return to Portland...

I did not try the pool or workout room but both looked nice.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Stefanie K, Guest Service Representative at Courtyard by Marriott Portland Airport, responded to this review, December 10, 2013
We loved hearing that you enjoyed staying with us. We definitely are happy to be so close to everything so that our guests can experience all that Portland has to offer. Hope you do come pay another visit to Portland (when it's warm!) and come stay with us again.
Thank you for your review on TripAdvisor.
Kelowna
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2013

Enjoyed a comfortable stay. Clean. Good service. The pay breakfast in the morning is good, Starbucks coffee. Room was very comfortable. Room is well laid out and is a good room to do business work in. Free wifi with no issues.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Stefanie K, Guest Service Representative at Courtyard by Marriott Portland Airport, responded to this review, November 19, 2013
Thank you for your recent stay with us. We love that you were able to enjoy the delicious Starbucks coffee, comfortable room and speedy wifi. Hope to have you stay with us again and thank you for your time in writing us a review.
NJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2013

Recently travelled to Portland with the military. The staff at this hotel is exemplary! While never having been to Portland, others recommended different Marriott's in the area. However, from the start, while making reservations months ago I had problem after problem with the other hotels from not wanting to give the government rate to wanting 45 days cancellation notice to requiring a contract be signed). From the moment I walked into the lobby (during a planning trip) to inquire about a group reservation for the military, The Courtyard and especially Heidi made all of those issues and worries go away. Heidi was very attentive and ensured we had all the extras (sufficient parking, shore power, King beds for VIPs, etc). She even offered to be present when we arrived to ensure our stay went well. When our group of 18 arrived, we were immediately greeted in a friendly manner with our rooms prepared. I don't think it took us longer than 1 minute each to register that day. A plus to some very tired travelers. During our stay the staff was amazing. Always friendly, always courteous. The front desk staff were always willing to make a Starbucks coffee or Latte no matter what the hour. The business center aided in our trip and the occasional use of an empty conference room was another added plus! The housekeeping staff was another awesome surprise. Every day the "do not disturb" sign was hung, resulted in a "care package" hung on the door from the staff of fresh towels, new soap, coffee refills, etc. We were never want of anything while staying here! The location was also perfect... close to the Mall and so many restaurants in any direction... also right off the Maine Turnpike (95) and 295 for easy travel to downtown Portland or anywhere in Maine. For those that want to relax outside of the hotel over some beers, the Sebago Brew Pub is within walking distance (across the parking lot) and offered a good atmosphere. And of course the Bistro Bar is always available during its operating hours with a great selection of food and beers. The hotel shuttle was another great benefit and catered to our needs. Overall a great stay! Keep up the good work!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Stefanie K, Guest Service Representative at Courtyard by Marriott Portland Airport, responded to this review, November 13, 2013
We really appreciate you taking time to leave us such a detailed TripAdvisor review. It is great to hear that you had such an enjoyable stay, and we all really enjoyed having you and the rest of the military group with us. It is certainly a treasure to have Heidi as our sales manager, she always keeps things running smooth, and we take pride in our staff as well, always working their hardest to deliver the best of the best. We are happy to hear that everything went smoothly for you, and you were able to enjoy some of the other great features of our hotel; such as the bistro and bar that serves a range of delicious foods and great variety of alcohol. Not to mention the availability of our van and the closeness of the great local brewery next door, Sebago Brewing Co. We hope to see you again.
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2013

I was just in Portland training with the military, we had 18 rooms at this hotel for 6 nights. After several long days of work we met in the lobby area away from the bar and to share some beers. The older blonde female bar supervisor came over told us that we are not allowed to drink on the first floor of the hotel unless we bought the beer from her. She said the police could come and question us on where we got the beer from??? So I took the beers I had and put them in my room and had to buy the same exact beer from her to drink with my colleagues on the 1st floor of the hotel.
I could not believe how rude she was to us that night. The following nights I heard stories from my soldiers saying that she would ask them what they were drinking in their coffee cups??? One of my guys was walking through the lobby outside to his vehicle and was stopped and questioned by her, asking if he was drinking alcohol!! This is unacceptable behavior. We spent a lot of money on rooms at this hotel and should not have been questioned in this manner. It really ruined our experience in Maine and seemed to be a ploy to make more money from some tired members of the military.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Dayna R, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Portland Airport, responded to this review, November 9, 2013
I would like to begin by thanking you for your service to our country as well as for staying with us during your recent training. We appreciate you making our safety and well being your priority.
I was unaware that you experienced any issues during your stay. Thank you for expressing your concerns here.
We are licensed to sell alcoholic beverages in our Bistro and Lobby area. With that license comes rules that we must follow to adhere to the local liquor laws. Allowing you to drink your own beverages in our licensed area is against those rules. I apologize that this information was not conveyed to you in a more respectful manner.
Ignoring the liquor laws would put the hotel at risk for losing it's license, incurring fines, and the loss of some people's jobs. In addition to just wanting to be good citizens and employees, these repercussions make us take following the law very seriously. Again, I am sorry this wasn't explained to you in a kinder fashion.
Thank you again for taking the time to post your review, and for your dedication to the safety of our country.

Been to Courtyard by Marriott Portland Airport? Share your experiences!