“One of the worst meals I've ever had” 2 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #14 of 135 restaurants in South Portland
Cuisines: Seafood
Portland, Maine, United States
“One of the worst meals I've ever had”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

We were heading for the Governor's, but I always have trouble driving in South Portland, and missed it. We continued on and decided to stop at Dock's Seafood. It's a fish market/casual restaurant, with the menu on the wall. Our initial reaction was that it was pricey for lunch, based on the entrees posted on whiteboard at the entrance, but we found the main menu board, which seemed a little more reasonable, though not a bargain at $9.99 for a typical lunch. It's one of the those places that you order at the counter. It took quite awhile to receive our food, which is understandable, since it was overcooked. The french fries were dark brown and some were blackened, the scallops were way overcooked; yellow, and almost wooden. The oysters were cooked OK, and tender, but had a slight off-taste which I couldn't identify. I will say that the cole slaw was the best part of this dismal meal; it was fresh and tasty.
This appears to be a fairly popular restaurant, so I walked around to see what the other the diners were 'enjoying': one person had opted for the chowder and a salad, which looked good, but others were coping with the overdone french fries and fried seafood.

Maybe we hit them at a bad time (noon on Saturday?), but we won't be back. Sorry....

• Visited January 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

82% Recommend
Northfield, Ohio, United States
“The best lobster, crabs, clams, mussels, and scallops!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

This restaurant was recommended to us by our hotel front desk clerk. She said it was fabulous, and she was right. It's a very casual, homey atmosphere where we had a chance to talk to the owner and also see our lobsters while they were still alive. The food here is unbelievable! We loved every bite. In fact, we extended our stay in Maine so that we could have another dinner at Dock's. And the price was so reasonable. What a meal!

• Visited November 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Whitehouse, Ohio
“Love it”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

I love this place! They have the best prices around for fresh seafood like haddock and lobster. There menue items are also reasonably priced. We pre-ordered some haddock to take back to Ohio with us. They had it all prepacked, gave us advise on freezing and thawing it, and the price was the cheapest around. The owners are great to deal with as well as just to sit around and talk with. Don't miss the great mom and pop restaurant.

Visited November 2012
Portland, Maine
“Just Ok this time………”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

We have eaten there before and overall pretty good experiences, but a few misses this time. I went with the whole clam luncheon plate and my mistake. The clam bellies were full and black with that unappetizing ooze. I just could not do it and pushed them off my plate. The accompanying fries were good. My wife had the fried shrimp tacos, which I tried. The shrimp were tasteless with melted cheese on them and placed over a pile of that package coleslaw mix. Another miss and it was just screaming for a touch of cilantro, squeeze of lime, and some life to it. The restaurant as always is super clean and the counter service is exceptional!!!

• Visited October 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Branson, Missouri
“LOBSTER!!! YUMMY - AMAZING VALUE!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012

If you are looking for a 5 star dining experience with a fancy waiter and dining area then this isn't the place for you. If you are wanting GREAT tasting FRESH sea food at a GREAT price then this is the spot! When you walk in you place your order at the desk and they call your number when your food is ready. They have a nice seating area for you to dine.

We have been on vacation for about 2 weeks and by far this is the BEST deal we have found anywhere in New England. TWO whole lobsters and sides (corn or fries) and coleslaw. We watched as they took the lobsters out of the tank and took them in the back to cook. A short time later they called our number and we got them still steaming. It was great.

Since we aren't from the coast eating lobster is only something we do when we feel like spending over $100 for two of us. But at $16.95 for TWO lobsters each. What a deal! We wish we were staying in the area longer as we would return several times. I noticed several other items on the menu that I would have to try, but when the lobster special caught my eye it was all over.

We debated shipping some lobsters home to family and friends. We spent a while visiting and asking questions. The staff was VERY friendly and answered all of our questions.

I'm sure we will be talking about the meal and restaurant for years to come. THANK YOU for a fun and affordable experience.

• Visited October 2012