“completely satisfied” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 11 hotels in South Portland
A TripAdvisor Member
“completely satisfied”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2014

The entire staff was courteous, helpful and friendly. the room was clean and comfortable. Bathroom was very clean and not run down. Nice to have a lounge and restaurant on premises and accessible thru hotel. Would stay here again and recommend to others.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Kathy D, Guest Relations Manager at BEST WESTERN Merry Manor Inn, responded to this review, January 20, 2014
We are so delighted that you were completely satisfied with your stay at the Merry Manor. We appreciate your recent stay with us and the kind review. The restaurant/lounge was renovated last year and we have been getting very favorable responses. We recently featured our "Wine Down" menu at The Maine Table, which is available Monday through Friday from 4-7pm and we have begun having Live Music on Friday nights. We are very excited with the turnouts! We eagerly await your return visit!

391 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2014 via mobile

Sure, the rooms are average..., its not fancy..., & who wants/needs frills when traveling with kids? Unless, of course, you're able to do something on your own. I took my two daughters here in February for a little getaway..., & we thoroughly enjoyed the outdoor heated pool!! That in itself makes this hotel worth it!! The on site restaurant is also a big +!!, especially when traveling w/ kids under 10.
Yet, it can't be ignored that the staff here are very friendly and helpful. I often take my kids on little winter getaways, and I don't usually encounter such nice people at the front desk on the off season. Truly, a good time for the kids & more relaxing for moms & dads entertaining them :)

• Stayed February 2013
Thank you Katy for taking the time to review our property. We appreciate your business and always love hearing about our guests stays. I am so happy that you enjoyed the heated outdoor pool and restaurant. Our staff are always here to make sure your stay is everything it should be!
St. John's, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2014

So I read where this hotel is ranked #2 in South Portland. I questioned the TripAdvisor rating system at about 1am. Now, in defence of BW: our room was OBVIOUSLY in an older part of the hotel. But yeaahhhh. Not awesome. But we paid $80 or 90 bucks. And we had a place to get out of the car for the night. That's about it. The tub was "mushy" under our feet, it was clean though. If I was super tall (like my cousins), I'd have hit my head on the ceiling in the tub. The beds were…not great. My mom and I were travelling together and at 5am she said "this is ridiculous." I agreed, as I too was awake. But the beds were indeed CLEAN. The first room we were offered has them stripped to the mattress, so we know they clean them thoroughly daily. Bonus points. The best part was the breakfast: instead of the toast and tea routine often involved in these "included" breakfasts, we got a coupon for a full, proper, cooked breakfast! GREAT. And the staff were all very helpful, kind and lovely. Just get a room in the "newer" section. You can tell age of section by the brightness of the carpet.

Room Tip: Stay in the newer section!!
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Thank you for your recent stay with. I apologize you were not completely satisfied with your stay. It is very unusual that guests experience issues with the comfort of the beds. We have some rooms with Temper-pedic mattresses that some guests love, while others prefer our Serta mattresses. I am not sure which room you stayed in, but if you stay with us again, we can look up the room you stayed in and make sure you get a different room with a different type of mattress. Also, we have recently renovated some of our rooms that I think you might enjoy. If you come back to visit us, we would love the opportunity to make your stay more comfortable.
PORTLAND,MAINE, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2014

The outdoor pool is wonderful!!! Warm year round.The only drawback is they rent it out and hotel guest can't always use it.Some times it is just too crowded and unruly by the renters for hotel guest to use

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Thank you Ethelanne for your recent stay with us. We are pleased that you enjoy our heated outdoor pool. We keep it heated to 92 degrees throughout the winter. We are unique in that we are the only hotel around the area with a heated outdoor pool. We do allow non-guests to use our pool for a fee, but we do not rent it out. We only allow this when the hotel is not busy, as we want to make it a priority that our guests staying with us are able to enjoy the pool area. I apologize that you were not able to enjoy it more. However, I do want to reiterate that we never close the pool down for our guests for outsiders to rent. We look forward to your return visit.
HULL, ENGLAND
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2014

In October 2013 my wife and I stayed for one night in room number 241, a disabled accessible room on the ground floor. We paid £47 /$77, which represented good value for the area.

We arrived at 2.50pm after a three hour drive from the White Mountains and were eager to get into our room, freshen up and take a drive into Portland before eating. When we parked up in the disabled bay right next to the front door Laura came out and offered to help us with our luggage, which was a nice touch. Once inside though she told us that our room wasn't ready - disappointing as we were only ten minutes ahead of the advertised check-in time. Another member of staff contacted the housekeeping staff and instructed them to get our room finished; we waited in the lobby, which is bright and airy with comfortable sofas but it was really warm though with the sun shining through the windows and the open fire blazing away.
Our room though did not become available until 4pm; the housekeeping staff had cleaned the wrong room! I asked the Duty Manager Kathy what the problem was; she could not explain; not even an apology! Now, perhaps I'm expecting too much here but where a hotel has only a couple of accessible rooms surely it should be a priority to make sure those rooms are ready and available in time for guests checking in, especially if one was pre-booked.

Our room was quite large and there was more than enough room for my wife to manoeuvre her power wheelchair. It had a king size bed, which was comfortable, had plenty of pillows and was of an appropriate height for my wife. The room had the usual amenities you would expect in a Best Western hotel; fridge, microwave, coffee maker, flat screen TV and decent WiFi. One good feature of note was that the table lamps had USB ports in the base for charging phones etc.

The bathroom wasn't that large but did have a roll-in shower with a heavy duty fold down seat. The inward opening door to the bathroom though did take up valuable space.

Breakfast is served in the restaurant next door upon production of vouchers. There was plenty of seating available and there was a very good selection of hot and cold items, which were regularly freshened up by the attentive waiting staff. The coffee was good too. I would say that this was easily the best free breakfast that we enjoyed on this trip. I think we were the only Brits in there though as my wife was bemused when I spoke to one of the waiting staff and every other diner stopped dead in their tracks and stared as if Hugh Grant was in the room!

The hotel has a fitness room, hot tub and heated outdoor pool, which we didn't use

Despite the hiccup at check-in we would, if in the area again probably choose to stay at the Merry Manor Inn again - just so long as the room was ready in time for our arrival!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Kathy D, Guest Relations Manager at BEST WESTERN Merry Manor Inn, responded to this review, January 13, 2014
My sincere apologies for the confusion with your room. If you do stay with us again, I would love the opportunity to make things right and personally apologize for the mess up. I am pleased that despite the issues at check-in that you found the restaurant to your liking and the room to be comfortable. Cheerio!
Palmyra, Maine
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2014

The Merry Manor Inn is a friendly, comfortable, family style place to stay. They have an outdoor heated pool which is open year-round and enjoyed. They also have a hot tub with a waterfall that soothes your shoulders and upper back. The rooms are comfortable. Anything you need to know about the area, staff will tell you or look on the computer and then tell you. They have detailed maps of the area, too. Even though this is great for families, it works just as well for other categories of guests.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Thank you Charlotte for your recent stay with us and the wonderful review. We are so pleased that you had an enjoyable stay and can't wait for your return visit!
Allentown, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2013

Very nice place. Staff very accommodating, recently renovated room very nice. Breakfast unexpectedly good. Great location. Great value relative to what is offered. Ask for renovated room. Did not have a chance to use the indoor pool but it looked very nice.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Kathy D, Guest Relations Manager at BEST WESTERN Merry Manor Inn, responded to this review, January 1, 2014
Christopher, thank you for your recent stay with us. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay and were pleased with the renovated room. You will definitely need to make another reservation soon so that you can try out the heated outdoor pool. It is amazing! What could be better then swimming under the stars with snowing falling around you!

Been to BEST WESTERN Merry Manor Inn? Share your experiences!