“Still great food and great service” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #83 of 135 restaurants in South Portland
Cuisines: Seafood
Description: Newick's recently reopened in South Portland in a new location (formerly TGIFriday's)--near the Maine Mall. Everyone in Maine is happy to have this establishment back! Isay, It is in South Portland, Maine, in the location where TGIFriday's was for several years--740 Broadway. I have been to the "new" Newick's twice and would like to review it. Thank you.
Tampa, Florida
“Still great food and great service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

I used to go to the Newick's down in Dover Point when I was in college, (and that was a long time ago) so I needed to stop by this location as I was traveling through. It is a quick 5 minutes drive from the Portland Airport in an easy to find strip mall location. The menu has grown and prices have gone up but I was able to have a great plate of bay scallops with fries and cole slaw at a reasonable price with a heaping serving. As always, the breading was delicious and the scallops done to perfection.
While we were there a customer had an unfortunate incident with a shell in his food and that manager came right out and dealt with the problem to the customers satisfaction, something that you do not see enough of in this world.

• Visited September 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

46% Recommend
Ramsey, New Jersey
“Great restaurant, but not the same as it used to be...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012

Newick's is still one of my go-to places in Maine to eat, however it used to be even better. Years ago, it was in a different location, with a more open feel to it and family atmosphere. The new location is more like a sit-down restaurant and somewhere you could take a date. Okay, that does sound better, but the old location just had a different charm and I think the food was a little better too.

That being said...

The new Newick's still has great food. My parents and my wife all loved the clam chowder (they got the thick chowder). The food overall at Newicks is very good. The potato skins are fantastic, as are the homemade chips. My Dad loves the fried haddock and my mom and wife love the clam strips. I opt for the chicken (not too big on seafood).

• Visited August 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Georgetown Texas
“wonderful find”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2012

After reading other reviews, we were pleasantly surprised as to the prompt, helpful service and simple fresh food.
We enjoyed the very reasonable priced lobster, along with an order of Rhode Island Style calamari, well prepared and presented. Try not to let the negative reviews make you miss a very enjoyable experience.

Visited August 2012
Montreal, Quebe
“Lobster heaven”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2012

Proximity to our hotel, the Best Western Merry Manor, parking, service FOOD and PRICE!!!!! Can't wait to get back!

Visited July 2012
Cumberland Center, Maine, United States
“Disappointed, was expecting more.....”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2012

We had a hankering for fried seafood, we hadn't had any in a long while so we decided to try Newick's because we remembered the food being good at the old location when we went there about 20+ years ago.

We thought the seafood was good (we had the calamari, baby shrimp, whole clams and coconut shrimp), but fries were very bland and nothing special. My husband had a Mai Tai that he said was pretty good and I had coffee that was delicious.

We had a nice, friendly (young) server but since the place was dead she spent the whole time we were eating our meal sweeping the floor under all the empty tables around us, that's a major no no in our book.

The decor gets a big goose egg, too many empty walls and the only thing to look at is the parking lot outside the windows. I mean, come on you're a seafood restaurant in Maine, how about some pictures of great coastal scenery or boats or something, anything! I would suggest offering up wall space to local artists like I've seen in other restaurants.

There are lots of great restaurants in the Portland area and considering how empty the place was at 7:30 on a Friday evening in July, it looks like Newick's has some work to do to get in the competition.

• Visited July 2012