“Terry & Molly 2013 Just a get away trip” 4 of 5 stars

Kyes Motel
137 West Front Street, Skowhegan, ME 04976   |
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Skowhegan
Glover, Vermont
“Terry & Molly 2013 Just a get away trip”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

We stayed here for three night's the 12th -15 of September, and realy enjoyed our stay. The owners make you feel so welcome an a great atmosphere. The rooms arn't like the "Hilton", but very clean an comfortable. We realy enjoyed the breakfast we got in the mornings,and (couldn't beat the prices!!) sitting on the porch was so nice. I would tell anyone that I knew if they were going to go that way to be sure to stay there, you won't be sorry.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
dana k, Owner at Kyes Motel, responded to this review, October 9, 2013
We enjoyed meeting you and hope to see you again.
Thanks for the nice card.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
afton, va
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013

We stayed here in August of 2013, the rooms are clean and the beds comfortable. The pool area is very nice. The wifi was better than the branded hotel we stayed in the night before. The small breakfast cafe was very nice and the food delicious. They are akso motorcycke friendly. If you need a room in Skowhagen this would be a pleasant choice.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Halifax, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

We were very afraid at first glance, but glad we didn't judge a book by its cover. The room was simple but very clean, a back door opened to allow a breeze thru, and the beds were very comfortable. The pool was clean and the kids loved swimming there and in the river(jumping off the dock). The breakfasts were absolutely delicious and eating out on the porch was a delight (especially in the rain ). The motel has a great history, and was a welcome stopping point as there were no rooms in Bangor and we ended up spending an entire day at the Fair ! Quaint town, well deserving of a quaint motel. We have every intention of going back again !

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
South Berwick, Maine
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

We stayed here for three nights for a baseball tournament. The owners could not have been more accommodating in every way. The rooms were simple but clean. The Pool and river were great and the breakfast was like having your mom cook for you.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Eliot, Maine
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

The Kyes Motel may not look like much, but it is worth the stay. The hospitality shown by the owner made thstay well worth it. From keeping the pool open late to use of a covered picnic area, our group felt welcomed and comfortable. Would not hesitate to stay here again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Glenmoore, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

A group of 6 of us on Motorcycles stopped at the Kyes during the week of August 13th and Dana and his wife couldn't have been nicer to us!! The rooms were clean and nice and to have the homemade breakfast that his wife made us the next morning was fantastic. The group of us were riding through Maine and I can say that this was one place that I would go back to again. The area behind the motel was so breathtaking it was wonderful, and to have it being owned by second generation family made it that much nicer. The lake was so pretty and we even picked wild Blackberries that were super sweet. If we ever go back there again I will not hesitate to go there again. Oh and the pool was incredible!!!!!!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Ann Arbor, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2012

I stayed here with some friends this past summer. It was charming and quaint, and I loved the location. Right on the river with lovely woods and an easy walk to town. The owner, Dana, was extremely friendly and relaxed, and he even hung out with us when we made a bonfire in the back. The rooms are designed in a fairly standard way for motel rooms, and some have balconies. They have wood paneling, which give it a nice country feel, but also have the unfortunate effect of making the rooms feel very dark. The rooms are not very well stocked and somewhat unclean. When we arrived, there was only half a roll of toilet paper, and it was wet. We checked everywhere, but there wasn't any more. The shower, bathroom floor, and bathroom counter were also a bit dirty, and the carpet in the main part of the room had a grimy feel, so I kept my shoes on. The beds seemed clean and I have no complaints. They were comfortable and the pillows were nice. Some of the other furniture was worn or dirty-looking, such as the chairs in the rooms. Two bars of soap were provided, but nothing such as shampoo, coffee, etc. I did not use the T.V., but did notice that it was extremely old with a dial to change the channels. This does not bother me, but I know it would bother some people. One of the rooms that my friends stayed in had a double bed and a twin, but only two towels, which was a bit odd. The housekeeper kept walking in to my room while I was in it without knocking, during the time I had paid for (and had not checked out yet, nor was it past check-out time). I think it happened a total of 3 times. I think my final word on this motel is as follows: I personally liked it, because up-to-date facilities and amenities are less important to me than charm and personality. However, I felt that it was important to note these things because I know that they would bother some people. If you want a nice T.V., a floor you could eat off of, and enough toilet paper to make a paper mache mountain, then don't stay here. If you want a friendly owner, beautiful trails, access to the river, and an easy walk to town, then this is a great place to stay.

Room Tip: The nicest rooms are the ones in the main building attached to the house and have a balcony in the b...