“Wonderful treats and cakes” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #3 of 36 Restaurants in Skowhegan
Cuisines: Bakeries
Dining options: Dessert
Description: The Bankery, located in the old 1864 bank building on Water Street in Skowhegan, ME, is a traditional, from-scratch bakery. We use only high quality, all natural ingredients and specialize in wedding cakes, occasion cakes, and fine baked goods including breads, pies, and pastries. The owners preserved the personality of the original bank, restoring the vaults and displaying antique advertisements, safety deposit boxes, photos, and other nostalgic memorabilia. When visiting Historic Downtown Skowhegan, we invite you to stop by and see what The Bankery has to offer
Skowhegan, Maine, United States
“Wonderful treats and cakes”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2014

Best cakes in town! Very creative if you are looking for that special cake! And taste soooo gooood! Best to call ahead though as they are really busy!

Visited October 2013

Lake Suzy, FL
“Personal service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2014

If you have a need for a specialty cake, they're your go-to place. Also their soups are to die for as well as all their bakery items.

Visited October 2013
Skowhegan, Maine
“Was so excited, and now just disappointed.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2014

My husband decided to surprise my daughter and I for our birthdays (today and tomorrow) by ordering a cake from The Bankery. He knew I had always wanted an armadillo cake and the one showcased on their website looked excellent. We were all so excited about the cake, until we picked it up. For the cost ($85) our expectations were that it would resemble the advertised armadillo cake and be delicious like most everything from The Bankery is. I cannot speak to its taste as we will not be cutting into it until our party tomorrow, but the only resemblance this cake shares with what was advertised is its shape. I don't know whether the decorator was pressed on time, despite it being ordered nearly 2 weeks in advance, or if someone less artistic and skilled was the one to decorate it, but regardless, it is a disappointment. Now my husband feels bad despite his intentions and we have a hideous cake.

• Visited July 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Matthew D, Owner at The Bankery, responded to this review, July 25, 2014
Each cake that is made here at The Bankery, is a result of a lot of hard work from our Artists. If at any point something doesn't align with the customers vision; we fix or make changes to accommodate you. When the cake was picked up, the person was excited and seemed very happy. Please feel free to express concerns with us so that we can give you a positive experience in the future.
“Not so good”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2014

My sister and I went bought banana bread whoopie pie cookies. Gross is all I can so. Whoopie pies and brownies are my all time favorites. These were so dry it was like they had been in freezer too long and or not properly wrapped. Banana bread was no better. Bad experience and won't recommend. Sorry we like moist flavorful baked goods I can't say that for The Bankery.

Matthew D, Owner at The Bankery, responded to this review, July 25, 2014
I am terribly sorry you had a bad experience here @ The Bankery. As all of our products are made from family recipes and from scratch; we do our best to please every person that visits our bakery. Please feel free to express concerns with us so that we can give you a positive experience in the future and we encourage you to try any of our other delicious products. We certainly did not intend for you to have a bad experience and would gladly compensate you in any way.
Skowhegan
“Great food and great people”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

If you like made from scratch pastries, cookies, cakes, cream horns and so much more, this is the place you want to go to. They even have real good lunch items daily and their meat pies are great!

• Visited May 2014