“quite a surprise” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #9 of 36 Restaurants in Skowhegan
Belmont, Massachusetts
“quite a surprise”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

We arrived in Skowhegan at around 8pm and found most eating establishments closed so we were especially pleased to notice a light in M Thai, which turns out to be the only ethnic restaurant in town. What is more, although we were the only customers in the restaurant that evening, the waitress did not rush us. The menu was unexpectedly rich in offerings, and each dish was plentiful and quite good. We learned that this restaurant does good take-out business and has done rather well since coming to Skowhegan. We recommend it!

Visited August 2013

South Pole
“2 of 4 stars (average, casual dining).”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013

(see explanation of ratings below)

Soup was terribly thick. "Gelatinous" one of us remarked.

Entrees were heavy with thick, sweet sauces.

Will not return.

About $12 per person for lunch.

About my ratings:

Only high-priced dining establishments can garner five stars. Until TripAdvisor realizes that a fast food joint cannot possibly be ranked equally with a $100 per person place, I need to draw the line somewhere. If we were only talking about the quality and presentation of the food, it would be a different story. But, as we know, TripAdvisor's rankings take into account the entire dining experience.

Therefore, I divide restaurants into three categories (and I wish TripAdvisor would do the same):

1) fast food and "fast-casual", low-priced (no table service).

2) casual, mid-priced dining (table service, average entrée price: $10-$20).

3) fine, high-priced dining (linen napkins, no plastic cups, no TV's in dining room, average entrée priced at more than $20, can vary depending on the city).

High-priced dining can earn a max of five stars. Mid-priced dining can earn a max of four stars. Fast food can earn a max of three stars.

• Visited August 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Dover Foxcroft, Maine
“Great Thai Food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

This is a quaint little place in the old Empire Grill restaurant (used in a Stephen King movie). My friend brought me here and she, once again, ordered a favorite of hers (pumpkin curry). I tried a bite of it and it really was tasty, but had quite a kick. I ordered the Volcano Chicken and it was very good. The fresh spring rolls were cut into bite-size portions which I liked much more than trying to bite into the larger ones (rice paper sticks to your teeth). It was clean and the waiter was attentive, gave my friend a sample of the wine and his pleasant demeanor really added to the experience.

• Visited May 2013