“Vacation Heaven” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sebasco Harbor Resort

You added Sebasco Harbor Resort to your Saves list
Sebasco Harbor Resort
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   P.O. Box 75, 29 Kenyon Road, Sebasco Estates, ME 04565   |
Offers & Announcements
15% off room rate
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Sebasco Estates
Newcastle
“Vacation Heaven”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2011

On arriving the open space takes you by surprise. Welcomed with New England friendliness and given all information required concerning resort. Our room, which was a great size and furnished ''New England'', was in the main lodge which has a wonderful veranda to relax on. This place has everything, every outdoor activity including golf. It has the perfect stuation in the bay with the sea air giving you a lift. Although there is loads to do you can relax in peace and quiet almost anywhere in the resort. No wonder families return year after year. It was a pity we were staying ywo nights. Will definately be going back for a longer stay. Just fabulous.

Room Tip: Room over looking final green of golf course
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
New Jersey, Usa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2011

Ifyou have good weather- the resort is relaxing and fun for a family- although I agree that the pool should definitely be re-done as it does look ancient and totally uninviting in person.

This review is mainly about the Pilot ouse Restaurant. Having spent the 2nd summer in a row at Sebasco, I would love to give the Pilot House restaurant a positive review, but the food was terrible. The server was quite nice, the view lovely, but there was no saving the tasteless food. My first course was "lobster cappucino" that was okay, but for the incredible amount of salt in the soup- way too salty and I am someone who likes to add salt to many things. I was able to choke down the small cup that I ordered, and was hoping for a good second course with the "red curry mussels". Well, the mussels came in a broth- literally it was cloudy grey. It looked like the mussels had been boiled in plain water and it tasted like it too. There was no flavor or taste whatsoever- none. I explained to the waitress that there was actually a complete absence of flavor. Anyway- I declined another menu option. No one at my table enjoyed any of the other 3 entrees or apps either. It was a total loss and an expensive one at that. I would have far preferred Ledges pub where we had eaten previously and enjoyed- for half of the price! I tried to treat my parents to a nice, high end dinner and we all left disappointed and hungry. Sebasco, you really need to step up your game in your dining room- all people want is fresh simple food. This was a low point on our trip.

Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
puremaine, General Manager at Sebasco Harbor Resort, responded to this review, September 10, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to complete a Tripadvisor review - positive or negative, they are crucial to our business.

I am very sorry that you didn't enjoy your dinner in the Pilot House on one of the evenings you stayed with us. We certainly don't want any of our guests to have a 'low point' and it was unfortunate that you did not experience what most diners have this season at the Pilot House. Three to four nights a week I work with the culinary staff in the Pilot House kitchen and I was present the night of your meal. The Lobster Cappuccino was very salty and should not have been served - I tried it immediately when it was returned and it certainly didn't meet our expectations either. I regret that it wasn't 'tasted' prior to being served to any of our guests and my sincere apologies for that major oversight. The Red Curry Mussels are our largest selling appetizer on the summer menu and the salt from the aforementioned soup may have affected the taste of the mussels dish as others in the dining room enjoyed it that evening.

The server was not aware of other issues at your table but we are very sorry that we couldn't provide you with the meal that you expected. Thank you for mentioning the positive service you received and the fine meal you had in our more casual dining venue, the Ledges.

The Pilot House was recently rated through a 'secret diner/reviewer' from the Portland Press Herald/Maine Sunday Telegram and can be found by using the search terms - Dine out Maine, Pilot House. We were very pleased with this review and wish we could have provided the diner with a similar experience.

I would certainly welcome the opportunity to discuss your entire stay in more detail with you – either in the form of an electronic comment card that all of our guests have the opportunity to provide, or you may contact me directly at the hotel.

Again, our apologies and thank you for staying with us.

Long Valley, NJ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2011

This is kind of a difficult review for me to write because while there were so many things I liked about this resort, our poor choice of accommodations left me feeling a bit flat. More on that in a moment. Let me try to focus my thoughts on the resort in general to provide a balanced picture.

WHAT WAS GOOD: We really liked the friendliness and attentiveness of the staff. From the front desk to the restaurant to the cleaning staff, all were pleasant and very accommodating….My son and I got to play the nine-hole golf course on the second day of our stay. It's very well maintained and really terrific!....Food (and service) at the Ledges Pub was consistently excellent….The grounds of the resort are beautifully tended with colorful flower beds and landscaping….The family recreation center is a fun throwback to the Maine of simpler times (even well before my time!)….There are lots of organized family-oriented activities. There was a lobster bake and a S’mores gathering during our stay. (Maybe not for everyone but a nice touch.)

WHAT COULD HAVE BEEN BETTER: For all the impressive floral gardens, there’s a noticeable amount of wear and tear around parts of the grounds and some of the structures. Walking from Round Cove to the center of the property, for example, you pass overgrown lots with dilapidated vehicles and the unsightly backs of several buildings. Oh, and the basketball court is a mess….The saltwater pool is set in a beautiful spot at the water’s edge. But the structure, a large rectangle surrounded by uninspiring concrete, is clearly ancient. Maybe I’m just not used to salt water, but I always felt a little sticky and unclean after exiting …. There’s a wide range of accommodations here and I would guess that the units in the common buildings are clean, modern and up to date. Due to its size and location, we elected to go for a cottage instead. While there was nothing particularly wrong with this old and rustic dwelling, we were really let down by its Spartan quality and lack of modern comforts, given the price. Specifically, what we found were old and simple furnishings, limited kitchen facilities, just one older TV in the entire three-room cottage, hardwood floors with no throw rugs (not conducive to walking barefoot), a dilapidated screened-in porch (with lots of holes and gaps), a forties-style bathroom, no A/C, of course – you get the picture. Oh, and from arrival to departure, the front door knob never worked, meaning that we needed to enter and exit from the porch, leaving the unit unlocked the whole time. (We reported this to the staff, who examined the lock and said it’d be fixed in another day or two.). This would all be fine, of course, at the right price, but at our nightly rate, this was way below expectations. I'll add that management was very responsive to our concerns following our departure but the experience detracted from what might have otherwise been a very favorable view of the resort in general.

THINGS TO KNOW: There’s little in the way of food and dining options on the Phippsburg peninsula, so get your necessities in Bath and prepare to hunker down here….The rec center is only open after something like 7:30 pm daily and on rainy days….There was surprisingly little traffic on the golf course, even on a sunny August Saturday. Tee times appear to be easy to come by.

BOTTOM LINE: It’s obvious from other reviews that this is a place with a loyal following, in some cases spanning many generations. Its family-friendly quality and beautiful location makes it easy to see why. Just know what you’re getting into here and choose (and budget) carefully if opting for a cottage.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
puremaine, General Manager at Sebasco Harbor Resort, responded to this review, September 9, 2011
Dear Reviewer:

Thank you very much for your thorough review of Sebasco Harbor Resort - as you mentioned in the review, we responded to your concerns and feel as though our communication was very positive throughout.

Thank you also for mentioning the positives of your stay and the wonderful time you had with your family while you were here - the Lobster Bake and S'mores Sing-along are two of our guests' favorites!

In regard to the 'what could have been better' - the cottage issues have been rectified since your departure as we discussed during our email correspondence. Guest privacy/safety is certainly a 'must' priority and I am sorry that the lock on the door was not operable during your stay - no excuses. As many in our industry have faced the last few years, we have not been able to invest in the capital necessary to address all of the physical needs of all of our 550 acres. However, we were able to renovate public areas and many guest rooms in the Main Lodge this year, and anticipate 'catching up' this off-season with the older cottages.

We appreciate your valuable input and hope to see you back next season!

Seattle
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2011

We thought this place was really something special...especially if you have kids. We stayed in the harbor east building which is newer and the room was great. Some of the reviews have mentioned issues with the rooms, but the Harbor building is definitely up-to-date, and after experiencing this place i'm not sure the room matters all that much. It is so relaxing here and there are so many camp-like activities for the kids that i felt like I was in summer camp again -- but as an adult I could drink wine/beer at teh same time :).

If you come here with kids, pay attention to the activities -- they are really well done, and to top off your day don't miss the quarterdeck house -- complete with bowling alley and lots of fun game for the kids.

Overall we thought this place was great and give it an A+.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Thank you very much for your wonderful review of Sebasco and for the A+ grade - it is much appreciated. It sounds as though you took advantage of the many activities we have for both children and adults - this is the beauty of Sebasco - you can stay busy all day, or sit and watch the water.

Although many of our guests still prefer the tradition of the Main Lodge, the Harbor Village Suites are very popular as well - I am glad you enjoyed your lodging decision.

Thank you for staying with us and we hope to see you next season!

4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2011

Nice,old fashioned summer resort hotel. We golfed, kayaked and relaxed. We stayed on a package that included breakfast and golf. The buffet breakfasts were wonderful and the gold is great. It is a beautiful course - the second hole goes over a tidal inlet. You can rent kayaks (we brought our own) and kayak up the New Meadows river. The highlight of this hotel is the BIGGEST salt water swimming pool I have ever seen. It is a great place to end a busy day.

Room Tip: Stayed in the Harbor Village Suites.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Thank you so much for your review of Sebasco Harbor Resort - your kind words are appreciated! I am not sure when you relaxed with all the golf and kayaking! We love the second hole as well, although it can be trying at times hitting over the water - hope for a par and run to the third hole!

The kayak trips, whether guided or with your own equipment, are very special with the many hidden inlets and rivers in the Popham area. The New Meadows trip is one of the more popular excursions and incredibly breathtaking. I am also glad you enjoyed Maine's largest outdoor saltwater pool after all that paddling.

Thank you for staying with us and hope to see you back soon!

birmingham
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2011

My husband and I were looking for something different from the chain motel and we certainly found it. This is the most frendly,comforting and relaxing place I have ever been on holiday abroad. Everyone speaks to you as a friend, and I mean everyone including other customers, waitresses, gardeners, cleaners.The estate is vast with a small golf course and a dock and swimming pool in idyllic surroundings on a beautiful part of the Maine coast. Nothing is too much trouble. On one day we wanted to go on a tour of the area but they did not run it on the day we needed, so they asked wonderful Tom , who knows everything and everyone, to do it just for us. Can't beat that can you?Well actually you can because there was no charge either! Food is good basic fare in the pub and better more high end food in the restaurant. Sunset in the restaurant is brilliant.

Room Tip: Hotel rooms in the main lodge do not have air conditioning as they are in a wooden heritage building...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Thank you very much for your review - your comments and tips will provide useful to those that are unfamiliar with Sebasco Harbor Resort! We are certainly unique, as many family-owned and operated Maine hotels are similar in their approach to amenities and service - thank you for noticing!

Your acknowledgement of Tom Cashman is also appreciated - he is our unofficial "Guest Service Ambassador" and is a terrific role model for the rest of the team. A Navy veteran and retired corporate executive, he is just one of the many hospitality professionals (as you mentioned) that make the guest stay as memorable as possible.

Thank you for making us the "most friendly, comforting and relaxing place" you have traveled to abroad. We hope you visit us on next summer on your holiday!

Worcester, MA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2011

I stayed at the resort years ago for a corporate meeting. At that time, I never had a chance to use much of the facility due to our tight schedule.

I finally got the chance to go back this past July for a quiet romantic weekend. The experience made me wonder why I waited so long. Everything was excellent from the pub to the gourmet restaurant. Have you ever gone swimming in a salt water pool? There are more than enough activities for young and old. We played a round of golf, went boating twice and went kayaking. I was treated like I was part of the family.

I will be back and it will not be years from now.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Thank you very much for returning to Sebasco and visiting us with a different agenda than your previous visit. It sounds as though they worked you pretty hard last time you were here so it was nice that you had the opportunity to enjoy the property as a 'leisure' guest.

One of the nicest comments that I can share with our team here is that you "felt like part of the family". That means a great deal to all of our associates who feel like this is their home as well. It certainly makes going to work much more fruitful and gratifying.

We hope to see you again soon!

Michael Lynch

Been to Sebasco Harbor Resort? Share your experiences!