“Scenic views & friendly people for 3 weeks” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Searsport Shores Oceanfront Campground

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Searsport
Searsport Shores Oceanfront Campground
You added Searsport Shores Oceanfront Campground to your Saves list
Rt. 1, 216 West Main St., Searsport, ME 04974   |
Tampa, Florida
“Scenic views & friendly people for 3 weeks”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2012

We had planned to stay for 2 weeks, but we were having such a good time, we stayed another week. Our 1st location overlooked the stream that runs down to Penobscot Bay. I wished I was a painter, but photos will have to suffice. The 3rd week we had to move to another location right on the waterside, since someone else has reserved our spot. We have enjoyed meeting friendly people and having good conversation and exchanging emails & photos. This location is a good one for taking day trips. We have enjoyed driving down to Rockland, Boothbay, Camden, and up to Acadia National Park as well as several scenic state parks nearby. The owners here, Astrid and Steve, are kind, thoughtful and hardworking. We certainly hope to come back here again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012

This is a nice campground with a 4-H camp feel about it. There are crafts, a recreation/lounging room, a small beach and group lobster dinners offered. Moose Point State Park, a day park with trails and ocean, is just one mile down the road.

• Stayed July 2012
Lakes Region, NH
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2012

I stayed at Searsport Shores for 5 days in September of 2011. I had such a lovely time, I'm getting ready to make reservations for a return trip in September of this year. The staff is warm and friendly. I arrived in my family's motorcoach, having driven it solo for the first time, to Steve and Astrig standing on the front porch to greet me. Steve helped me to back it into a waterfront spot so that I felt like a veteran driver, not the newbie that I really was. It was such a treat to stay at the ocean's edge at a quiet campground. My site was grassy and level, and there were no bothersome puddles or mudholes. Hookups were conveniently located, and my site was spotless.
It was a busy week at the campground, and everyone seemed happy with the amount of activity, including the staff. The beach is a place to wander slowly and pick out favorite little rocks, or better yet, just sit and enjoy the view and the sounds.
Old timey camping with modern conveniences meets old timey hospitality.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Manchester
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2012

Searsport Shores is definitely the best campground that we have ever been to. We are about to stay there for our seventh year in a row and could not be more excited! To start off, the atmosphere is so peaceful that this is a place where you can actually go to get away and relax. It is amazing to listen to the gentle waves during the night or wake up to a gorgeous sunrise over the bay. There is so much to do in both the campground and the surrounding area especially with the new art studio at the campground. The beach is rocky, but it is perfect for finding unique sea creatures and treasures. The staff is so nice and friendly and is always there to help. The bathrooms are kept clean and the grounds are amazing. The gardens are beautiful and the weekly lobster bakes are delicious! There are plenty of activities for children as well. My daughter was 8 when we started camping there and she fell in love with it! There were always interesting things to find on the beach and other children her age to make friends with. The activities at the campground are very unique. Activities have ranged from nature walks on nearby Sears Island and clamming to candy bar bingo, bonfires and making giant mushrooms to decorate the campground. Searsport is an excellent home base for any mid-coast Maine destination. We highly recommend Searsport Shores for a relaxing family vacation.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Mapleton
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2012

This campground has a very friendly vibe - not just from the staff but from the other campers too. The gardens are beautiful, and staff are often on hand to share their expertise. The nearby seaside village of Belfast has all the charm of Bar Harbor without all the crowds. The campground owners are perfect hosts, really going out of their way to make sure you have a lovely vacation. As hard as it may seem, all this is largely overshadowed by the natural beauty of Penobscot Bay. The coastline is a nice mix of gravel and large boulders for youngsters to scamper along, and tons of sealife to explore. It's a wonderful place to relax and reconnect with your loved ones.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Bethlehem, New Hampshire
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2012

Although the campground has gorgeous ocean views and is conveniently located, the experience we had June 11th-18th justify this rating and others should know about safety issues before booking. First, when choosing a campground we wanted one that had new trailers with two bedrooms that we could rent. The floor plan shown on the website shows a kids bunkroom with a slide which is what we wanted given that our son is already 5’4” -- we wanted the kids to have plenty of space for the week. However, when we arrived a trailer with a small bunkroom with no slide, very cramped, was setup on our site. We figured that others must have reserved the larger bunkhouse models we saw parked across the lot so we moved our stuff in. The next morning, no one was in either camper so I went to the front desk to speak to Steve or Astrid and was told by Astrid’s father that they had gone away for 3 days. I explained that when booking with Astrid we discussed that we were excited for renting this camper with the slide because we are looking at buying one just like it and asked if someone else had those campers reserved. He told us that no one had them booked, that they show both on the website and that you didn’t get to pick a certain trailer, and that the Hornet was already in the front row so they had just moved it over. I checked the website and it does mention a Hornet trailer but the only floor plan shown on the site shows a bunkhouse model with a slide, so that’s what we were expecting when we booked. He agreed to move the Springdale over but we first had to unpack all of our stuff and run it over to the new camper - a waste of our vacation time.

Things were fine for 2 days until we were saying goodnight to the kids one evening and the scissor jack on the right side of the camper folded and the blocks fell out from under it. My daughter started screaming as the slide with their bunks in it was tilting downward and within seconds, the other scissor jack folded. My husband ran out to make sure that nothing else would be dropping and since it was 10:30 at night, we got the kids to sleep and waited until morning to go to the office. We were told that “these things happen”, asked if we were alright and that they would fix it when we went out. The fix was piling up pieces of wood in various sizes and shapes which left the camper leaning to the right for the rest of our stay but it was secure.

These were just inconveniences at this point, but on Monday morning, June 18th the events turned dangerous. It was 8:30 in the morning and we heard a popping sound, followed by our daughter announcing that the camper was filling with smoke. I jumped up and flung open the door to let the smoke out to see the guy next door trying to unplug his camper from the GFCI breaker - it was seriously hot and he had to pull his hand away before burning it. He told us that they had been eating breakfast and their microwave turned on by itself and their camper filled with smoke too. His smoke detector was going off, but ours wasn’t because -- IT HAD NO BATTERIES!!! He ran and got a pot holder and unplugged his camper while my husband went and unplugged ours. The GFCI breakers didn’t work sending electrical current into all of the campers. Our son ran up to the office and got Steve. We all got dressed and went outside while we let the smoke out of the camper. Steve and his crew began walking around to see what was wrong. I noticed that the area all around our fire pit, the metal box that they setup on each site to make a campfire, was surrounded by water. I asked them if they saw this and was told that they thought we had poured water on the fire to put it out. I told him that we didn’t pour water on it and that’s when they found the water coming up from the ground under our firepit. They got a shovel and dug up the ground to expose the electrical and water lines that were running directly under the firebox. As the photo shows, these lines were buried only 2” under the ground and the heat from the fire the night before had melted the coating on the electrical wire as well as the water line which had shorted out the electricity. I asked how they could have water and electrical lines running beside each other not in conduit buried just 2” below ground that any kid could have poked with a marshmallow stick and one of the guys said it was fine because the wire has an in-ground rating. My husband being a contractor and having built our own 12,000 sq. ft. B&B, we know that underground means that it is rated such so long as it’s 18” below grade. He said this wasn’t the case, it was fine. They began repairing the lines while we packed up to leave. Not the way we had intended to end our vacation. As we were about ready to leave, one of the guys actually said “Boy, you guys didn’t have the Camping Gods with you this trip.” What a stupid thing to say to a family who has experienced the events of the week and given that all of these events were the fault of the campground owners, not us.

Because this could have been even worse than it was given that the GFCI breakers didn’t work on the sites, that they are renting campers with no batteries in the smoke detectors and the wires didn’t appear to be up to code, the next day I contacted the Maine Dept. of Safety and spoke with an investigator named Rebecca. She took all of the details and called us back saying that they were getting an electrical inspector to join them for a safety inspection later that week. I reiterated that they just need to check the ground between campsites 12 & 13 and that they’d find the disturbed ground to inspect how the wires were repaired. I waited to post this review not wanting to tip them off to the inspection. I hope that whatever electrical issues the campground has they fix immediately to ensure guests safety. It’s a shame, because the campground is beautiful and our one week vacation that we’ll get this year had so many issues, especially ones that could have turned fatal had we all been asleep since the smoke detectors didn’t have batteries.

Room Tip: Make sure that you're getting the new Springdale Camper that they show the floor plan for - the...