“Fabulous place to stay” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #9 of 13 hotels in Scarborough
Billings
“Fabulous place to stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2009

We stayed at the TownPlace Suites the middle of Oct. for 8 nights with our daughter and 2 grandkids. We had a 2 bedroom suite. It was great! It was very clean, the beds were new and comfortable and the staff was really friendly and helpful. They had breakfast in the lobby that you take back to your room to eat. It consisted of different kinds of cereal (hot and cold), packaged danish, apples, coffee and juice. It was nice having 2 bedrooms, kitchen/dining/livingroom. It was also nice having a TV in the livingroom and the bedroom. We would definately stay there again.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family

83 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Newark
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2009

Was having trouble finding a room at a decent price in the Portland area this time of year. Stumbled onto this hotel. Prices were much lower than other similar hotels. Hotel was very clean, seemed relatively new, and had a modern decorative style throughout. No wireless internet but high speed internet connection in room. The office/lobby has a computer with a printer that is there for guest use for free. Our room had one queen bed, small couch, computer desk with chair, kitchenette, tv, and bathroom with tub/shower. Lobby is very small. They provide a very basic breakfast that consists of a packaged danish, coffee, hot tea, oj, boxed cereal, milk, and apples served in the lobby. There is no place to sit and eat in the lobby. Not much, but is enough to get you started and on your way. The staff were all very friendly and helpful. If you needed directions, help with using their computer, razor blades for shaving, or any questions answered, they would help. While they do tend to your room everyday by making the beds and emptying the trash, the sheets will not be changed nor a complete cleaning done. This did not bother us at all. One thing I did not like was its proximity to I-95. Our room was located such that you could hear trucks all night long. This was not a major issue and there is another building where one might not even hear the trucks. Anoter minor issue was that there was no flat panel tv. To me a non-issue but I thought I would mention it as many hotels today have them. The room did have a tv and it worked fine.This was a great place to stay to explore this part of Maine as it was close to Portland and I-95. The Maine Mall is one mile away, a Shaws supermarket is basically across the street. Compared to the prices other hotels were charging this was a great find. I higly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Vermont
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2009

Arrived with a Marriott Rewards Elite member reservation. The reception at the front desk was BRUSQUE and unwelcoming. I got a better welcome from the competitor's reception desk when I stopped in for directions than I did at this hotel!!!! When I indicated that I had trouble finding the hotel, I got absolutely no response. Breakfast was set up in a bleak foyer, room configuration was okay and it was moderately clean, but I would've much preferred a different Marriott or the Hampton Inn nearby. Parking required me to cross two lots to get to my hallway entrance.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2009

Despite the very suburban location, this is a great place to stay! Our first family vacation with our infant son, the suite was perfect for us. We ran to the Shaw's across the street almost daily, stocked up the refrigerator and made ourselves a nice breakfast every morning before heading out for the day. The rooms were spotless and well appointed. The cable was great, we even had Noggin, so my son was happy in the morning. Didn't get to use the pool or the bbq, but it was really nice that they were available. I was especially happy to be able to do some laundry in the on-site laundry, clean clothes for the rest of our trip! My husband enjoyed the free wi-fi, the staff printed us out maps a bunch of times, and they were always friendly. A very nice atmosphere - the only negative is that it is a little outside of the city, but if you don't mind a quick drive it is perfect.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
Boston, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2009

We just stayed 2 nights at the TownePlace Suites in Scarborough. The room was clean, recently decorated and fine for a short stay. Our studio suite included a small kitchenette with a frig, stove, dishwasher and coffeemaker. The room also had a table, 2 chairs and another work/desk chair. The couch was hard and uncomfortable- not sure what it was made of as it was not flexible fabric at all. The bed was comfortable and linens were soft and made for a comfortable rest. We were disappointed that there were no vending machines to even get a drink in our building (building B)- we had to go across the parking lot to the front desk to get drinks/snacks as well as the grab and go breakfast in the AM. There are no elevators in the building which would be important if traveling with a family or a lot of luggage. Also- one night when the hotel was busy we got back around 11pm and could not find a parking spot as they did not push the snow banks back well in the lot so many spots were not usable. We had to park in the lot of one of the neighboring office buildings. Overall a decent hotel for the price but no frills.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2009

I stayed in the TownPlace Suites @ Portland for an extended period of 3 months during the most freezing times of the year. I was initially unsure about continuing my stay here. But the amenities available, the presence of a Shaw's SuperMarket at a walking distance and an extremely friendly staff that was always ready to help and guide a clueless foreigner made sure that I fell in love with this place. Extremely quiet, good Heating, a functional Gym, kitchen and superb (though Wired) Net connection overall made it a pleasing experience. If I ever visit Portland - Maine again (perhaps for a ski trip), I will definitely make it a point to stay at the TownePlace Suites Portland Scarborough.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled on business
Boston, MA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2009

My family stayed here for two nights in Dec/Jan, and had a great time. We had a 2 bedroom suite, which had a sofabed, so everyone had their own bed. The kitchen had everything we needed (full-size fridge, plates/bowls, glasses, silverware, and bottle opener/corkscrew :)

During the full day we were there, the room was made up and cleaned, which I wasn't expecting after reading some of the other reviews.

Breakfast was pretty sparse, some muffins, cereal, milk, juice, and coffee.

The location was ok -- 15 minutes to the Old Port, half an hour to Freeport. There's a Shaw's right across the street, Wal-Mart, CVS etc. within a couple minutes' drive.

Overall, the room was quiet and clean, plenty of room for the 4 of us, and we had a great time.

• Liked — The large, clean rooms.
  • Disliked — No indoor pool.
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to TownePlace Suites Portland Scarborough? Share your experiences!