“Great Stay!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 13 Hotels in Scarborough
New City, New York
“Great Stay!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2008

We booked this hotel for 4 nights during a visit to Maine. It seemed to be in a good location to hit the spots that we were interested in. The owner is so friendly and very helpful. You can tell that they care about their guests and want to make sure you have a great stay.

The price we paid cannot be beat - especially when other hotels nearby were charging more than double. I was a little nervous being that it was so inexpensive, but as soon as we pulled up, I felt more at ease. Usually, when you find a place that is so inexpensive, it leaves a lot to be desired - but not this time! The room was a nice size and very, very clean. That, to me, is the most important thing. We were able to access sites w/in Maine such as Portland, Kennebunkport, Kittery, Old Orchard Beach, the Maine Mall - all within a decent amount of driving time and because the hotel is on Route 1, its very convenient.

We didn't have breakfast at the hotel while we were there, so we can't comment on that - but they do have coffee and I think muffins and danish in the check-in area. We actually went to Tim Horton's a couple of mornings, which is right down the street from the hotel.

We would definitely stay here again. Great value and a really good stay! You can't go wrong staying here.

• Liked — The price and it was nice and clean!
  • Disliked — ?
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Houston, TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2008

My wife and I spent 7 nites in this motel while touring the Portland area. The room was large and user friendly with microwave and refrig. The beds were very comfortable and the a/c-heater quiet (a real plus), and the owner concerned about his guests comfort. Prices were excellent. I can easily recommend this motel to any one visiting the Portland, ME region, and needing a quiet safe location.

TMc, Houston, TX

Stayed April 2008
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2008

For decades this motel was run by Fred Kilfoil, well liked and very involved with the local community. He had a reputation for flawless service. We used to put up visitors to our local manufacturing business there. When I asked one friend how the facility was, he replied, "I think that this is the cleanest room I have ever stayed in." Now under new ownership, I actually stayed there myself, and the prior positive comments are still true. It is a family business, and they are on site day and night. It is an extraordinarily good value, and they have a free open wireless network as well.

• Liked — Local owners, on site
  • Disliked — On US Route 1, a very busy thoroughfare
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled on business
PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2008

In middle of SNOW STORM I found this place, which was very very inexpensive. It is easily accesible on Route 1. Beds are comfortable and they have wireless internet which works great.

• Liked — Rates, cleaniness and location
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled on business
Blacksburg, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2008

I had reservations at another hotel up the street. I got there and found out their boiler had broke (it was -4 outside) and was faced with trying to find another place. I showed up at this hotel and was greeted by the friendliest desk clerk/manager. He promptly assisted me and quoted me an extremely reasonable price (only $5 more/night than the other place).
The rooms were very clean and comfortable. 10 minutes after arriving in my room, the clerk called to ask if everything was to my liking. The bathroom was huge and the beds comfortable. The heat worked wonderfully! There is also free wireless!
This hotel is convenient to everything you need also...beaches, state parks, Portland, etc.
I would highly recommend!

• Stayed January 2008, traveled solo
Tesuque, NM
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2007

I was staying at Pine Point with too many inlaws and needed some space of my own. This fit the bill. The owner/manager, Jay, was very accomodating and pleasant. This was half the price of a place we stayed at right in Pine Point and was far superior in every respect. It's not on the beach, but it's only a few minutes to get there. They also had wireless high speed internet access. Just down the road from The Freaky Bean, an excellent Espresso place. I plan to stay there next summer as well.

Stayed August 2007
Bangor, Maine
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2007

The owners were very friendly, the rooms clean and spacious, and the bathroom was huge. We often choose budget rooms and this one had a nice price and was nicely equipped. There were no loud guests and no partying. I don't think you can go wrong with this one.

• Liked — Clean and spacious.
  • Disliked — The coffee on the conti breakfast was weak.
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Americas Best Value Inn-Scarborough/Portland? Share your experiences!