“Japanese food............yes !!” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations, Delivery
East Boothbay
“Japanese food............yes !!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

My husband took me to the Shogun Japanese Restaurant in Scarborough for my birthday yesterday, Nov. 4th.

It was as wonderful as I remembered it to be. The atmosphere is very nice, the food superb.

The portions were extreme, in fact, we had to take so much home it was overwhelming. The price was excellent... for two people with tip it was $63.00.

I highly recommend this place.

• Visited November 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

58% Recommend
Old Orchard Beach, Maine
“Typical Hibatchi”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

Second hibatchi I have been to and it was pretty much what I expected. Went with a group of 13 that they easily accommodated. The owner was very friendly and we were seated right away since we made an early reservation. They bring the appetizers (soup, salad, shrimp) in stages which is nice because you are given time to enjoy each course. There was one little one in our group and he was given special chop sticks which he loved being able to use. The hibatchi show itself was not as good as some I have seen (less knife juggling, less food being thrown, no saki) but the food was still very delicious. I ordered the shrimp which was cooked to perfection and others in my party ordered chicken, steak and lobster, all of which they said was very good. Two of the people in our party had recently celebrated birthdays and they brought out instruments for everyone to play during "Happy Birthday" and ice cream for the birthday boys. Our chef was not the most talented I have seen but very friendly and cooked the food well. The restaurant was very clean and the atmosphere was nice although I was a little surprised to hear them playing American pop music in a Japanese steakhouse lol.

• Visited October 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
USA
“Great off season experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

We went in the off season, and just happened to have the "old" owner do the cooking (the regular cook didn't show up). We chatted and he turned out to be a Japanese chef who married a lady from Taiwan, so we chatted in both those languages (probably to the loss of the other couple with us at the booth).
I must say that the seafood turned out well. The steak was just a little bit over cooked, but I haven't that that much flavor in a Teppanyaki shrimp or mussels before.
We went for our anniversary and found it a pleasant experience. I have seen other guys do a bigger or louder show, but the food was great.

Visited January 2012
New Brunswick
“Unexpected pleasure.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2012

We ate here as it was close to our hotel and did not realise it was a terrapanyakki resteraunt (they call it a Hibatchi). They are renovating at the moment to make a sushi bar and we were the only diners. For $20 each we had steak and chicken (me) and scallops (DH) cooked in front of us with dramatic flair including knofe juggling and flames. The meal also includes soup, salad and a shrimp appetiser. Very good food with entertainment thrown in. We will certainly eat here again.

• Visited April 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Portland, Maine
“Interactive Evening...good food!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2010

We dined here last weekend for my daughter-in-law's birthday. We shared a table with two other couples (8 people to a cooking/eating area)...they were very nice. Of course, the whole idea with Shogun is to watch the chefs cook at your table...big flames, tossing knives, onion volcanoes, and even tossing zucchini bites into our mouths from afar! Only one at our table was successful at this, but it was fun. With each meal ordered, you get a shrimp appetizer, soup, salad, and rice...as well as a host of fresh veggies (onions, mushrooms, beansprouts, zucchini), also cooked right on the grill in front of you. Our meals (entrees) consisted of shrimp, steak, filet mignon, lobster tails, and chicken. Our personal chef was funny, friendly, and a talented juggler of knives and spatulas...even catching behind his back. We also had Mai Tais, which were very good! For birthday celebrations, the restaurant provides what they call "an occasion" event...each of us at our table (even the other two couples) were given tambourines, clappers, horns, etc...and a tray was brought out with ice cream for the birthday girl and a Buddha statue with candle for wishing and blowing out...everyone sang Happy Birthday and it as a very good time! Overall, the food was good, the service was excellent, and we would go back for another evening of good food and fun.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere