“staff needs to learn customer service” 2 of 5 stars

Black Point Inn Resort
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   510 Black Point Road, Scarborough, ME 04074   |
Ranked #3 of 13 Hotels in Scarborough
A TripAdvisor Member
“staff needs to learn customer service”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2005

First of all, the staff at this hotel needs to learn how to return phone calls. I'm not particularly comfortable leaving voice mail with reservations because of this reason, and that's if you can through to them. I called 3 times to talk to someone and whomever answered the phone kept picking it up and hanging up immediately after. I had an event at this hotel and could never get the event planner ont he phone, and when she did return my calls it was usually 2-3 days later, if at all. This hotel used to be one of the premier hotels in the US, but it has gone downhill fast, and unless something is done I'm afraid that they will close their doors for good because they will have no guests.

• Stayed September 2005

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Scotch Plains, NJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2005

My husband and I randomly picked the Black Point Inn as a destination in Maine. I say randomly, but one of the main reasons we did was that it allows dogs.

When reading about the Inn, we liked the remoteness of the area and the beauty of the resort. The Inn is set in a beautiful, quiet area just 20-minutes south of Portland, which makes it ideal for excursions and shopping and is what attracted us to it.

The minute we arrived, we knew we'd made the right choice. The doorman was friendly and the guest check-in easy. We were shown to one of the Inn's pretty cottages, overlooking the ocean and the pool. Our room was furnished comfortably and was clean and inviting. The bed was difficult to leave each morning, but we forced ourselves up so we could explore.

There is a beautiful coastal walk that starts right on the property. They also have free bikes that we took to a lighthouse and Lobster Shack. The staff was helpful in providing directions and willing to retrieve us if we couldn't make it the whole way home. Thankfully we didn't need help.

Lunch and lounging by the pool was a wonderful way to pass an afternoon. The pool staff is friendly and the food fresh and tasty, especially the homemade potato chips. My husband enjoyed the blueberry cocktail sauce with his shrimp. It’s made with fresh Maine blueberries.

Drinks on the veranda, overlooking the ocean, as the sun goes down are a must. Sipping champagne brought by a smiling waiter was the ideal way to experience a Maine sunset. It was also a nice way to visit with other guests at the Inn, both couples and families seemed to be enjoying themselves.

Dinner in the Dining Room was elegant and tasty. The lobster was prepared perfectly and the dessert selection was more than I could handle, which says a lot since I love dessert. Ordering a few and splitting them was the way to go.

We set out to watch the sunrise one morning. Sitting on chairs near the pool was a good idea, until the black flies arrived. We quickly moved to the widow's walk and enjoyed the view and the solitude. The widow's walk seemed to be an unused jewel at the Inn. It's quiet and intimate and a perfect place to have a 360-degree view of the area either at night or during the day.

Not only did we fall in love with Proust Neck, but we so thoroughly enjoyed the Inn that we're trying to convince our entire family to meet there for Thanksgiving. Either way, we'll be back, with our dog Stella who enjoyed it as much as we did.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2005

A beautiful weekend spent at Black Point Inn. Accomodations were wonderful as was the service, food and activities. We were able to access the pool, beach and bicycles all within close proximity of our room. Sunsets don't get any better there and the staff are friendly and can't do enough for you.

• Stayed July 2005
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2005

The Black Point Inn is a hidden jewel along the beautiful Maine coast. The Inn is absolutely charming and the service is gracious and friendly. We particularly enjoyed the private beach and spectacular sunsets. My boyfriend and I definately intend to return.

• Stayed August 2005
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2005

As we arrived to the Black Point Inn we were overtaken by the beauty of this resort. It's location is perfect along side a beautiful ocean with a breathtaking view. Our arrival was perfect. The doorman greeted us with a smile and couldn't do enough to help us check in. The front desk clerk was very informative and professional. We had a lot of questions and she knew all of the answers to make us feel welcome. Our room was very special with a view of the ocean. The room was modern and imaculate, as if it was just renovated. We had a few minutes to settle in before heading to the lounge to see the sunset. It was one of the prettiest sunsets I have ever seen. Then off to their formal restaurant for a very romantic and magnificent dinner. The food was delicious and service exceptional. Be sure to try the home made apple pie. It was the best pie I have ever had.
We settled in after dinner to our quiet room. The mattress & pillows were so comfortable we slept later than usual. The breakfast buffet the next day was also delicious. Everything was fresh & hot, from the home made blueberry pancakes to the fresh fruit, and best of all the omelette station.
After breakfast we walked around the resort and found one of the most beautiful beaches that would take your breath away. We're sorry we didn't have more time. And I can't forget to mention that we saw a wedding take place the night before and we were impressed with the beauty of the set-up. They even had fireworks that were visible from the restaurant. The family cottages adjacent to the resort are perfect for the wedding guests and their outdoor tent was a bride's dream. You have to go here. It was amazing from beginning to end.

• Stayed July 2005
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2005

Just this past weekend we stayed at and attended an amazing wedding at the Black Point Inn. The accomodations were spacious, comfortable, and beautifully appointed. From the moment we arrived to the moment we said our good byes our experience was impeccable. The front desk and bellstaff were knowledgeable, friendly, and always willing to go out of their way to assist us. The dining facilities were beautiful as was the food presentation. All of the food served at the function was truly top notch. The servers were phenomenal, combining proper serving etiquette with solid knowledge of the menu. The bartenders kept up with the busy pace well and with a smile. Everything from the outstanding ocean views to the very professional staff at the Black Point Inn made for one of the most exceptional travel experiences we have ever had. We will be back!!

Portland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2005

I have to say, I have stayed their before and while it has been nice, this was GREAT! I come to find out, as I was checking out that the Inn has a new ownership group that just took over in April, a new GM, and a new Management team throughout. A lot of familiar faces in the dining room and Housekeeping but what an improvement in service! And with a new Chef, so the Front Desk person claimed, the food has gone from mediocre at best to excellent! The service in the restaurant was much improved from last year's mostly poor service (but when you go there, options on where to dine are limited in that it is a short drive to go anywhere else). I was really impressed from the moment I arrived until the moment I left, to the extent tha my wife and I plan on a return trip this summer!

• Stayed May 2005

Been to Black Point Inn Resort? Share your experiences!