“Better than I expected....” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save up to 10% Today!
Ranked #9 of 13 Hotels in Scarborough
Temple Hills, Maryland
“Better than I expected....”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012

My boyfriend (31 yo) and I (25 yo) stayed here 8/25-8/29 2012 because he wanted us to have a kitchen. I was skeptical but after hearing the ad on the radio I figured it was an up and coming hotel, having never heard of it before. For starters they don't have a shuttle bus service from the hotel which is about 15 minutes away and when I called asking how much a taxi would be they didn't know, turned out to be $16 if I'm remembering correctly, make sure you are clear with the driver that you're paying with a card when you go to the taxi stand outside the airport. When we arrived at 11:30pm check in was quick. First impressions of the room was that it was basic with a kitchen, but a funny smell. Had to open the window then the smell faded. I cleaned the bathroom with one of the white towels and it was surprisingly very clean!! The tub was spotless. Problem with the bathroom is that there is only one switch for the light and air vent and the vent is ridiculously loud!!!!! We tried our best to use the hallway light so we didn't have to turn on the switch. There's a stove but no oven, might want to use paper plates, plastic cups and utensils, they only provide 2 of everything. No comment about the staff, didn't interact with them much, but didn't get a "hi" "how are you" "have a good day" entering or exiting the building, just a nicety that would've been a plus
CONS...Carpet had a lot of stains...reclining chair had a lot of stains that I didn't realize until I looked at the picture...microwave had a few stains...the dishes weren't cleaned properly...you have to pay for maid service unless your staying 7+ days...towels are extremely thin....small box t.v. with horrible reception...you don't notice the hotel until the very last minute when you see the sign behind tree branches and another sign
PROS...very firm mattress (may be a con for some)...lots of supermarkets around, shopping, and walmart... reasonably priced...ample parking...clean bathroom...very quiet area

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Portland - Scarborough, responded to this review, September 17, 2012
Thank you very much for taking the time to review your recent stay with us here at our hotel. As a member of this company, we are proud to be a part of the premier lodging source for business and leisure travelers looking for a great room at a great rate. We value comments like yours because they help us to improve the service that we provide to our guests.

I am very pleased to see that we made you feel more at home than you had expected. It would be our pleasure to have you stay with us again in the future or at any of our other brand locations. Please feel free to contact us at the hotel directly any time to discuss your experience or for future travelling needs.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Scarborough, Maine
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012

With the exception of the outside photos all the others are not of this hotel. Never, and I mean never go above the first floor!!! The carpets are stained with barf, beer stains, pet stains and from trash bags being left in the hallway. The same applies to the rooms. It is a pet friendly hotel so they need to clean the stairwells daily (which they don't) so you won't step or slip on something a pet left for you. This is at best at $50 a night hotel and that is during holidays! If owed a comp for a bad experience....forget about it. This is a place that is out to get as much money as possible before maintenence fees become prohibitive.
But hey....people need to : 1. Find out for themselves, 2. Weed through the employee provided 4 and 5 star ratings, 3. And the most important of all...check with the local authorities before staying there. Just ask simple stuff like, How often a month do they respond to problems there such as prostitution, drugs, etc....

Room Tip: 1st floor only. Stay inside after dark.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at our hotel. We are committed to providing every guest with outstanding accommodations, so I was pleased to read your first review of our hotel back in March of this year. Of course, I was disheartened in reading this review to learn that your long term stay wasn't 100% satisfactory. For that I am truly sorry.

We know that our guests have many lodging options, which is why it is so important to us that we provide clean, comfortable rooms at an affordable price. The description you presented of your stay is not representative of our quality standards and as such is clearly not acceptable. In order to meet our standards going forward, I will work with my staff to ensure that you and our future guests do not experience this type of incident.

Please don't hesitate to reach out to me at this hotel or to our guest relations team directly by visiting our website and thank you again for being our valued guest for such a long period of time, my entire staff and I wish the best for you and your family.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

We were disappointed by this old property. Not the same caliber as a Fairfield Inn. Needs updating. Does not offer breakfast. Does not have a pool. Priced a little high for the dearth of amenities. The hotel was booked solid (so was all of Portland). We would not return to this property even though the location is fine. Near the Maine Mall and the highway.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Portland - Scarborough, responded to this review, September 7, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with our property. Given our company's commitment to superior guest satisfaction, I was sad to see that your stay was not enjoyable. We are constantly striving to ensure each guest can enjoy the "home away from home" experience here at our hotel. Please accept my apologies that we were unable to do this.

It would be our pleasure to have you stay with us again, show you our redoubled efforts. If any time in the future I can help you with this or stays at any of our other properties, please do not hesitate to give me a call directly.
Muskegon, Michigan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

Where to start? Upon check-in I made sure that we were being put into a non-smoking room and we were told yes...not the case! The room reeked of cigarette smoke!! The carpet was filthy, bed was barely made and had hairs in it, and the bathroom was full of dark hairs (I am a blonde). The hairs were all over the shower walls, toilet, etc. I ended up having to go down to ask for another blanket to lay on top of the covers and use my own pillow because it made me nauseous to think about how "clean" the bed really was. On top of the grossness of the room the internet did not work at all and when I set the alarm clock for the next morning I learned that it barely worked and sounded like a dead bird was trying to wake me up. The lobby and parking lot was the only nice part...WAY to over priced! This room we would be worth $50, maybe..

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at our hotel. Considering our company's commitment to superior guest satisfaction, I was disheartened to read that your stay was unsatisfactory. Please understand how truly sorry I am.

We know that our guests have many lodging options, which is why it is so important to us that we provide clean, comfortable rooms at an affordable price. The description you presented of your accommodation is not representative of our quality standards and as such is clearly not acceptable. In order to meet our standards going forward, I will work with my staff to ensure that you and our future guests do not experience this type of incident.

As well, guests who request a non-smoking room should receive one. We know that many people are afflicted with allergies or just prefer to not be around smoke, which is why we strive to ensure this happens. It can sometimes be a challenge to keep second hand smoke from entering the property, which it sounds like you might have experienced; for that I apologize.

Again, I am deeply sorry that you did not have a completely enjoyable stay at our hotel, and I promise that we are focused on total guest satisfaction every day. Please don't hesitate to reach out to me at this hotel regarding any other questions or comments you may have. I do hope that you will let us demonstrate our redoubled efforts in the future here or at any of our other locations throughout the U.S. and in Canada.
Lubec, Maine, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

For the price of this hotel, I suppose you get what you pay for. Took a family vacation, wanted something cheap since we would only be there long enough to sleep. The bed was very hard. I specifically asked for non-smoking when I booked online; asked when I arrived TWICE if it was a non-smoking since it was on the 2nd floor, I was assured it was, yet the first thing I smelled was cigarette smoke. When I needed towels they did not have any clean towels, apparently they were all out and none were cleaned yet at 9am. When I asked for a luggage cart when checking out, there apparently was only one and someone else had it. I would think that there would be more than one luggage cart considering the size of this hotel? I might also suggest that they try to accommodate families by providing portable cribs or something. I also had an issue with one of my room keys constantly not working. I would go downstairs, it would work after that one time and then wouldn't work again. If you just want something cheap, it is nice that it has a full size fridge, stove, dishes already there etc, otherwise I wouldn't recommend this but I can't say that I'll ever stay here again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Portland - Scarborough, responded to this review, September 6, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback about your recent stay with us at our hotel. We are constantly striving to provide our guests with a "home away from home" experience by providing clean, comfortable and affordable rooms. Please accept our apologies that you found there to be a strong smell in your non-smoking room and for us not being able to produce a crib and luggage cart upon request. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed the in-room kitchen and basic amenities provided with it.

The issues that you have mentioned have been shared with our staff in an effort to improve the service that we offer. I hope that we will have a chance to accommodate you again in the future if you are ever in the area again. Please feel free to contact us at the hotel, directly, anytime regarding any other comments or concerns you may have.
Edmundston, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2012

I booked this hotel online using Hotwire and didn't know what I was booking. Although it was clean and the location wasn't bad, we didn't enjoy our stay there and will not return. The bed was quite hard and the pillows not comfortable at all. Small old style tv set. No ice machine in the hotel.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Portland - Scarborough, responded to this review, August 21, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback regarding your recent stay. I want you to know that we value your comments and I will be using them to coach my staff on how we can serve our guests better in the future. I apologize that your stay was not the "home away from home" experience that we strive to provide each and every one of our guests with.

If you are ever in our neck of the woods again, I sincerely hope that you will give us another chance to host you during your stay. Please feel free to contact the hotel directly if you have any other questions or concerns.
Casco, Maine
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012 via mobile

So we booked this place for the weekend of a HUGE concert and Maine's largest race...which means the hotel upped the price big time. We paid $160.00. Even though the room was nice, clean, and the service was nice it's more like a $90 room. It does have a little kitchen. But the nicely dressed bed was uncomfortable especially with only one pillow per person. If the place was cheaper, I would stay there again and bring extra pillows with me!

• Stayed August 2012
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Portland - Scarborough, responded to this review, September 4, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback about your stay. I appreciate your comments and want you to know that I have shared them with the staff to help improve the service that we offer. I have also sent your comments about the hotel pricing to our Coporate Office who manages the rates which we offer on a day-to-day basis.

I hope that we will be given the opportunity to host you again in the future if you are ever in the area. We are always happy to show past guests our redoubled efforts.

Been to Extended Stay America - Portland - Scarborough? Share your experiences!