“RUDE MANAGER” 1 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Newtown, Connecticut
“RUDE MANAGER”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I made a reservation at this hotel through Expedia checking in Monday and checking out Thursday. Flight was cancelled and rebooked. Expedia called the hotel and asked the manager Abraham if he could change reservation to checking in Tuesday and checking out Friday. He said yes but refused to give a refund for Monday night. The reservation was still for 3 nights. I found this to be very unreasonable and rude. I make travel arrangements for a large company and have never experienced this before. When there is a flight cancellation, all hotels work with me. Very poor management and customer service.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
Bangor, Maine
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Checked in for a business trip, and asked if they could upgrade me to a room with 2 beds as a colleague had unexpectedly joined me, but none were available. 5 minutes into the room, I receive a call from Adam saying he could put me in a 2-bedroom suite for no additional charge. What a great upgrade! Two bedrooms, 2 bathrooms AND a gas fireplace. Beautiful accommodations, and the entire staff from the breakfast attendant to the desk clerks were so pleasant and accommodating. This property is my new "go-to" place when visiting Portland!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a gas fireplace. Such a nice touch after a long day!
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled on business
greeney72, Front Office Manager at Residence Inn Portland Scarborough, responded to this review, 2 weeks ago
I'm so glad you enjoyed the room. I am very happy that we were able to accomodate your upgrade. We really appreciate all the kind words. Our main priority here at the Residence Inn is making sure our guests are pleased with their stay. The next time your travels bring you to the Portland area, please come back and see us again. Thanks again for staying with us, and hope to see you again real soon.
Boston, Massachusetts
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Hotel manager Abraham R. Disliked me and was extremely rude to me the first time we met for no apparent reason.. I checked-out early and Marriott gave me a free night at another of their hotels.
I chalked it up to a bad day and when I was in the area again I decided to stay at this hotel again because I really like the rooms there. About two hours later I got a call from Abraham asking me to leave without a refund. I asked why, explaining that I thought we had resolved the issue from before. After repeating my question a few times he finally told me that ***he researched me online and didn't like what he saw!***
Are background checks performed on ALL guests at this hotel? Unlikely.. I feel strongly that I was treated this way because of my appearance. I cannot hide my African heritage.
I never consented to a background check and I didn't break any rules at the hotel.
Singling out a member of a protected class and treating that person like a second class citizen violates federal and state laws.. he should have known better.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
Oromocto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We stayed here with our 2 kids last November for a little getaway/shopping trip. This hotel is in a great location to take advantage of shopping in Portland. It is located conveniently off the highway.

We had a 2 room suite with a full kitchen, it was a nice little setup, each bedroom had it's own bathroom. The free breakfast was nice and convenient. And the kids enjoyed the pool.

I would definitely use this hotel again when travelling to Portland.

Stayed November 2014, traveled with family
greeney72, Front Office Manager at Residence Inn Portland Scarborough, responded to this review, 3 weeks ago
Dear Colleen,

I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. It is always nice to hear when our guests are able to enjoy all aspects of our hotel, including our breakfast and dinner. If your ever back in the Portland area, I hope you and your family will come back and see us again. Thanks again for staying with us, and we hope to see you again soon.
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2015

Booked this hotel last minute on Travelocity. We were going to Portland to look at colleges with my son. We had already had reservations for another hotel for Saturday night, but because of the check in for his tour was early Saturday morning, decided to go up Friday night. Surprisingly, it was right next door to the other hotel I booked for Saturday. Of the two, this one was better in several ways. We stayed in a suite which blocked off the bedroom for us and gave him the pullout couch. Kitchen was basic to a hotel kitchen. There was an indoor pool but it seemed that there were soooo many kids staying there this particular night, there really wasn't much room at the pool. The breakfast was excellent as compared to it's sister hotel next door. There was a diy waffle bar as well as other hot selections. The only problem we had was the temp of the shower. Upon checkout, we learned that their hot water heater had gone and although our showers were lukewarm, we got the last of the hot water in the entire building. A great overnight. If my son does go to Portland for college, we will definitely be staying here on a regular basis. It is 2 exits from downtown Portland.

• Stayed February 2015, traveled with family
Abraham R, General Manager at Residence Inn Portland Scarborough, responded to this review, March 23, 2015
Dear Strawberrypip71,

It’s great to hear that you enjoyed our hotel and the service you received during your stay. I am glad that our hotel was able to meet and exceed your expectations. Please rest assured that your comments have been shared with our engineering team in an effort to improve our service.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and we hope to have the opportunity to serve you again!

Warm Regards.
Abraham Rivas
Columbia CT, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2015

We go to Portland area quite often. We have stayed at many hotels and liked this one a lot.
The rooms are large with a kitchen, living room area and bed area. The rooms were clean and the bedding was very clean and comfortable. The man that checked us in was very helpful, even helping us find a parking space. Both mornings we enjoyed the breakfast. Someone was on hand to make sure there was plenty of eggs etc. For the price we felt this place has a lot to offer.

There were two small problems, one was our room was not cleaned after our first night stay. They gave us some replacement towels at the front desk.
The other was not the hotel's fault. While eating breakfast, a woman was cleaning up after her dogs by shoveling the waste next to the dining room window. We told the man at the front desk who said he would tell the management. It was nice to have a pet friendly hotel but there should be something set up for handling this.

Room Tip: We were on third floor and it was very quiet.
  • Stayed March 2015, traveled with family
Dear Marian G

Thank you for sharing your recent stay at our hotel. I am happy to hear that you enjoy our room layout and the extra space our one bedroom suite provides. Please rest assured that your comments have been shared with the housekeeping team in an effort to improve our service.

We also appreciate you bringing to our attention the actions of some of our guest who travel with their pet. At our hotel we have a pet policy that is explained in detail to our guest who travel with pets during the check in process. We will keep monitoring and enhance our efforts in order to better educate our pet owners.

We appreciate your kind comments about our staff! Thank you for choosing to stay at our hotel. I hope to have a second opportunity to serve you and your family again the next time your travel brings you back to the area.

Warm Regards
Abraham Rivas
General manager
Goffstown, New Hampshire
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2015

From the entrance, you get the feeling that you are driving into a quiet subdivision of stores and hotels but upon entering your room, you can clearly hear (and see) the Main(e) drag from the bedroom, especially loud tractor trailers rolling down the highway. The front desk gal was very accommodating when I asked for an upper floor room then got one...having brought-out a plate of warm chocolate chip cookies helped! But that night when our heads hit the pillows, my wife and I felt like we were sleeping on the striped white line! If you can get used to the road noise - great, but if you are a light sleeper like the two of us - you won't be having many sweet dreams.

The rooms are rather large...and divided with two swinging doors which was nice for privacy, as our son slept (tried to) on the couch. He got to watch tv in his "own" room as we did the same. Prior to that, we all went down to the pool for a dip and some soaking in the hot tub. The pool water was comfortable as was the temp of the hot tub but the hot tub jets were rather wimpy, but going back and forth between the two felt good.

Back upstairs - the bed was too hard for our taste and the morning came quickly. With a sleepy look about us, we crawled our way to the breakfast room and were met by a lot of people (the hotel was sold out this night), but the flow went smoothly. Breakfast was very good and well stocked - some nice hot choices (scrambled eggs, potatoes, sausage, waffles), breads, muffins, 4 dry cereals, oatmeal, fruits, yogurt and yogurt cups and a lot of different condiments. I was impressed!

Check-out was a breeze and we were off. An overall ok stay...but where did the night go?

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the entrance road/front entrance - it will probably be quieter than the rooms...
  • Stayed March 2015, traveled with family
greeney72, Front Office Manager at Residence Inn Portland Scarborough, responded to this review, March 4, 2015
Dear Dave
I am very sorry that you had trouble sleeping the night during your stay. We do realize that the highway does affect some people, and I very sorry that you were one of them. Please know if you ever have cause to stay here again, if you make a request to be away from the highway side, we will do everything in our power to make it happen. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed the hot tub, pool, and food, but our main goal is to provide service to our guests that goes above and beyond. After reading your review, it feels that we have not met that standard. On behalf of our entire hotel, please accept my apology for the inconvenience you endured during your stay. I hope you will allow us a chance to show you the type of service I know we are capable of delivering by staying with us again the next time your in the Portland area. Thank you very much for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. If there is anything else I can do for you, please don't hesitate to call me anytime.

Been to Residence Inn Portland Scarborough? Share your experiences!