“Cindy is the saving grace...Otherwise go somewhere else” 3 of 5 stars

Earn Rewards Points
Ranked #4 of 13 Hotels in Scarborough
Certificate of Excellence 2014
New York City, New York
“Cindy is the saving grace...Otherwise go somewhere else”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2014

Hotel is subpar for Marriott. The only reason they are receiving a 3 is because the evening I arrived Cindy was at the front desk. She was AWESOME!!! Helpful with everything. However it kind of went south after that. Got to the room which had a nice setup but it was not clean. I don't think the rug has seen a vacuum in a long time. The sofa either. Went into the bathroom and there was about 10 sheets of toilet paper on the roll with no replacement roll, no box tissue and the piece de resistance the long black hair in the shower. Not one or two pieces CLUMPS on the walls, shower floor. To add insult to this already disgusting site there was long silver hair on the floor. The toilet seat was broken on one side so you had to hold in place or it slipped off to one side. I figured I would give them a chance to fix however the next day only one of our trash cans had been emptied, stuff still all over the carpet oh yeah and still no toilet paper. I went down to the front desk spoke to what I thought was manager and got "here" not sorry for the inconvenience. Nothing. Where did Cindy go??? Please find her and let her train your ENTIRE STAFF on how things should be done when dealing with guests

Room Tip: Plenty of other hotels in area. Do not stay here. You don't even get what you pay for!!!
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
Erie, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2014

Pros: Easy to get to, very close to and easy to get to the greater Portland area, breakfast was good, pool was warm
Cons: Right next to highway and you can hear it all night long, dirty, old, staff was unprofessional, key cards didn't work multiple times, side entrance door was broke.

We were very disappointed with this hotel for the price that we paid. We stayed 3 nights and our room was never cleaned once. When we arrived there was old coffee grounds in the coffee pot, dirty dishes in the cupboard, hair and dirt around baseboards, chipped paint, mold in shower, dust every where, very noisy all night long due to highway.

We are not fancy people and usually never complain but we were very disappointed. This hotel did not seem up to usual Marriot standards.

Room Tip: Do not get a room near the highway.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Somerset, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2014

Residence Inn is right behind the Mall of Maine and has suites,indoor pool and hot tub, includes a hot breakfast buffet. Clean spacious rooms with kitchen,small dining table and sitting area. The 1 bedroom suite which was spacious. and the queen bed was comfortable as you would expect from Marriott. There are many places to eat in the area. and there is much to do downtown Portland. This is just 10 miles from Old Port Portland R 295 to exit 4 and Portland Lighthouse. I have stayed here before and never been disappointed. Friendly staff. Pets welcome for a fee.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Trenton, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2014

The answer for me: yes, at first. When I arrived the evening of my first stay here, there were just-baked cookies waiting, and Dennis at the front desk worked hard to find me a quiet room. (The hotel is close to the highway, and I had read on TA that it was quite noisy.)

The room Dennis gave me was attractive, clean and QUIET. Great. Unfortunately, the bed was really uncomfortable. It was hard to sleep, and I woke up stiff each morning.

But I liked the room otherwise, and Dennis and Pat, who runs the kitchen, were so accommodating, I booked again for the next week. Bad decision. I took a chance on a different room, and it was noisier, there was mold on the shower curtain, and the bed was just as uncomfortable as the first room.

Too bad - it's so close to being someplace I'd stay more often. But now I'd rate it just okay.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Lincolnshire, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2014 via mobile

First off, I would like to say I am not sure how this hotel has a four star review. I am assuming it is because of the location. My husband, baby, and I are part of the Marriott Rewards program so we are very familiar with the chain. At this specific location we were very upset once we left because of several different occurrences. I put our baby down to crawl a bit and before I knew it I found my baby girl with toenail or fingernail clippings in her hand as she was about to put them in her mouth. I know it is hard to get them picked up with the vacuum sometimes but I found a whole pile of them. We asked the front desk to have someone come in and vacuum. A nice woman came in and did so while we were in the bedroom. I felt much better until... we put our baby down again on the floor, she crawled over to something in the corner and was reaching for it. It was a piece of GLASS!! I wish I had the picture still. We feel so blessed that she didn't put that in her mouth.
We had our rooms switched and they gave us one night free ( very thankful for that). When we asked for a blanket for her crib it was stained - not a huge deal but it seemed worse because
of the things. The manager sent us a nice email back after two months ( because even though I called multiple times to follow up with him after our stay - he thought the issue had been resolved) and he said to tell him when we would be staying again. I let him know but he never followed up with why he wanted to know when we were staying again. I assume he was intending to give another night free of charge but it never happened. Overall a disheartening experience from cleanliness to lack of communication. Lovely people working there - they just might need some guidance on how to be more thorough.

• Stayed February 2014
Mechanicsburg, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2014

I travel every week and normally stay at the Sable Oaks (excellent hotel, BTW). For some reason, I decided to try something different, and was I kicking myself mid-week for doing so. The room was spacious but quite noisy as it was butt-up again the interstate so sleeping involved pillows covering my ears.

The hotel staff was not the friendliest compared to the Sable Oaks with the best customer service. The breakfast and social dinners were okay to subpar depending on the day. I have stayed at other Residence Inn's and have had much better so I was surprised this was the quality.

Well, I guess I'll be going back to the Sable Oaks when I come to Scarborough.

Room Tip: Get a room opposite elevator side as the interstate on that side and is very noisy.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Mesa, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2014

I liked the location; away from downtown Portland, yet close enough to easily get there. The staff gave us excellent dinner recommendations and were quite helpful throughout the stay. The room was clean but the beds were miserable for my back. My wife complained, too. This is not an isolated problem with Residence Inn. Overall, I found this property to be about as good to slightly better than most.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family

Been to Residence Inn Portland Scarborough? Share your experiences!