“Poor cleanliness and lack of communication.” 2 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Free Parking
Ranked #5 of 13 Hotels in Scarborough
Lincolnshire, Illinois
“Poor cleanliness and lack of communication.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2014

First off, I would like to say I am not sure how this hotel has a four star review. I am assuming it is because of the location. My husband, baby, and I are part of the Marriott Rewards program so we are very familiar with the chain. At this specific location we were very upset once we left because of several different occurrences. I put our baby down to crawl a bit and before I knew it I found my baby girl with toenail or fingernail clippings in her hand as she was about to put them in her mouth. I know it is hard to get them picked up with the vacuum sometimes but I found a whole pile of them. We asked the front desk to have someone come in and vacuum. A nice woman came in and did so while we were in the bedroom. I felt much better until... we put our baby down again on the floor, she crawled over to something in the corner and was reaching for it. It was a piece of GLASS!! I wish I had the picture still. We feel so blessed that she didn't put that in her mouth.
We had our rooms switched and they gave us one night free ( very thankful for that). When we asked for a blanket for her crib it was stained - not a huge deal but it seemed worse because
of the things. The manager sent us a nice email back after two months ( because even though I called multiple times to follow up with him after our stay - he thought the issue had been resolved) and he said to tell him when we would be staying again. I let him know but he never followed up with why he wanted to know when we were staying again. I assume he was intending to give another night free of charge but it never happened. Overall a disheartening experience from cleanliness to lack of communication. Lovely people working there - they just might need some guidance on how to be more thorough.

• Stayed February 2014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
Mechanicsburg, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2014

I travel every week and normally stay at the Sable Oaks (excellent hotel, BTW). For some reason, I decided to try something different, and was I kicking myself mid-week for doing so. The room was spacious but quite noisy as it was butt-up again the interstate so sleeping involved pillows covering my ears.

The hotel staff was not the friendliest compared to the Sable Oaks with the best customer service. The breakfast and social dinners were okay to subpar depending on the day. I have stayed at other Residence Inn's and have had much better so I was surprised this was the quality.

Well, I guess I'll be going back to the Sable Oaks when I come to Scarborough.

Room Tip: Get a room opposite elevator side as the interstate on that side and is very noisy.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Mesa, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2014

I liked the location; away from downtown Portland, yet close enough to easily get there. The staff gave us excellent dinner recommendations and were quite helpful throughout the stay. The room was clean but the beds were miserable for my back. My wife complained, too. This is not an isolated problem with Residence Inn. Overall, I found this property to be about as good to slightly better than most.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Denver, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2014

Stayed for a long weekend , staff fairly indifferent was not greeted and recognized as a gold marriott rewards member . Breakfast was ok but the one staff member on duty was overwhelmed and items remained empty for far to long .
Rooms were clean and well maintained but the towels were worn and bit thin
Overall ok but better options are available in the area including a much better residence inn in the downtown area of Portland

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2014

We had a great visit to Maine and one of the reasons was our stay here. The staff were very friendly and helpful. The amenities were as listed. The pool could have been 5-10 degrees warmer. Otherwise, it was all good. Would definitely stay there again

Stayed April 2014
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2014

The Hotel has what you'd find in typical Residence Inn by Marriott. Free breakfast, kitchenettes in the rooms with a fridge, microwave and range, an indoor pool and a basketball court outside.

Overall the room was fine. The floors were a bit worn in the room and a little dated in the bathroom, but that's expected somewhat in most hotels unless they've had recent room renovations. Also they claim to have a heated pool, but my kids didn't want to swim in it for more than a few minutes because it was too cold. Indoor heated pools that aren't warm is a big pet peeve of ours. Hotels are looking to keep costs low and unfortunately keeping the water warm adds expense, so they neglect to keep it warm enough for guest enjoyment. This pool was really small too, so how much could heating it to a desirable temp really cost?

Anyhow, here's our true gripe with this hotel. We are Marriott Elite Gold members and pretty dedicated to Marriott overall. As Gold members, one of the benefits listed on the Marriott website is a 'Complimentary Room Upgrade' upon availability at check in.

For some reason, you are NEVER proactively offered an upgrade by the front desk. We've never once been offered an upgrade upon checking in by any Marriott brand hotel, instead, we always have to ask if an upgrade is available and almost every time you hear the same excuse. This time was no different. We checked in early around 2pm, and literally one minute before walking in the door to check in, we looked at the available rooms on the Marriott app on our iPhone. The room we reserved was a studio suite, but as of 2pm there was a one bedroom suite available on their website. So we asked the front desk if an upgrade was available since we are Gold members and we were told 'the hotel is almost sold out, there are no upgrades available.' So we explained to her on the website it shows a one bedroom suite is still available, and her response was 'they oversell the rooms so if someone books that particular room, we would have to give them a studio when they checked in.'

I'm sorry, but I'm not buying it. As I write this review at 11:00pm the same day we checked in, not only does the website show a 1 bedroom suite is STILL available, but a 2 bedroom suite is also available.

So if someone booked either the 1 bedroom or 2 bedroom suite right now (11pm) and they came to check in, are you telling me you wouldn't be able to give them that room? If that's the case, then you are misleading your customers by showing those rooms as being available. If that's not the case, then you lied to one of your Gold Elite guests.

Overall, the hotel is fine, just don't expect to get any special treatment by being loyal Marriott guests. In fact, I'm starting to wonder why Marriott even has a loyalty program since a Gold status seems to mean, just another customer.

Stayed April 2014
Saint Agatha, Maine
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2014

Traveled south from northern Maine to Scarborough for "mental health days" for the wife, which of course included much shopping!
Residence Inns have always been great and this one did not disappoint. Asked for and received a first floor room, which was perfect for our needs. Got the Queen bed suite, although a king would have been a little roomier.
Quiet room, away from the street. Used the pool every day. Breakfast and "social hour" were fine as well.
A snowstorm was in the works north along our travel route home so we elected to stay an extra night.
Absolutely no complaints.

Room Tip: First floor all rooms are quiet.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Residence Inn Portland Scarborough? Share your experiences!