“Without doubt the only hotel you'll want to stay at in the area” 5 of 5 stars

Oakwood Inn Town Motel
945 Main Street, Sanford, ME   |
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Sanford
Los Angeles, California
“Without doubt the only hotel you'll want to stay at in the area”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

I'm actually quite fortunate an inn like this is located in Sanford. The people who run it, Marie and Beau, are truly hospitable and sweet and the rooms have always been clean, cozy, and charming. I now have family in Sanford and the Oakwood Inn is the only place I'll rent from after one misguided stay at the nearby super 8 Motel (which is just utterly depressing). I have especially liked the rooms in the two back buildings and room 120, which is where Katharine Hepburn stayed apparently when she visited in the summers:) The grounds are kept nice with colorful planted flowers and green grass. All in all staying there has always been a lovely and peaceful experience for me. True to what time spent in Maine should be.

Stayed August 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Northampton, Massachusetts
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013

I have stayed here on more than three occasions. I gave this hotel very high marks in my first review three years back but after staying there recently I felt I had to change this review.

I might stay here again but only if I get one of the rooms in building number one.Even then, I might hesitate and reconsider going to another place even if it required a longer trip.

I am not sure why the quality went down at this hotel but I really felt like I wasted my money here and because I had no other place to stay and was too busy to look for another place I just had to put up with this room.

It was dark and dingy. Carpet so dark and lights so dim I wondered what they didn't want me to see. The bathroom had been cleaned but was so small it was annoying. The room in general was too dark and dingy to do much reading in there in the evening and figuring out the lights was difficult. The worst thing is that they didn't make up my room on day two and I was too exhausted to run to the office to ask for towels so I took my chances on totally running out. I work in the field and spend more than 9 hours a day in the national forests when I visit so showers really matter to me. Cable had about four stations and no weather channel. I also felt really bummed out when the fridge that is in the office entry area - the one that used to be full of yogurts, milk, juices etc was empty except for about a cup of orange juice in the bottom of a half gallon container. There were three apples for the entire hotel of people and one of those silly kuerig machines with only hazelnut flavor and decaf packets.

If this hotel wants a good rating from me they need to pay attention to the customers like they used to and do some updating in the rooms. Please please please do not get dark green floors and dark bedspreads. They make the rooms so dingy looking and some light colors could do a world of good to lighten the space up.

I would just be careful if you are considering staying here. As I said check out the room first or request building one. Still remember that this may not bee so nice if they won't make the room up like they did with me this last visit.

I have never removed a five star review but I felt I had to do this after my experience this week.

Room Tip: Building one only. If you can't get building one don't go here! Get another hotel.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Concord, New Hampshire
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

The good news is that they seem to be working on the rooms. Carpet worn. Bathroom door didn't close. Weird lighting. Tired bed mattress. Cheap sheets and towels.
We found hairs in the tub and sink. No amount of cosmetic work can excuse this lack of cleanliness. Still staff was very nice. They offered to change our rooms. Convenient location to the ballpark.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Danbury, Connecticut
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

I haven't been to other area accomodations in quite some time (we don't visit often) so I can't give a comparable review. However, when we called to book the employee was very friendly and helpful (there were a number of us looking to stay the same weekend). Cleanliness was average, and probably pretty good for the area, but the smell was not great. That may just be because it's an older place but I'm pretty particular about smells! Overall we had a nice stay and if we came back to the area again it would be an option.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Eden, Vermont, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2012 via mobile

This place is Absolutly wonderful. I went here after having issues with another place during my travels and it was an amazing experience. The staff was extremely polite and accommodating. The prices are very reasonable. This is a very well upkept older style inne. I would Definitly use them again during my travels.

• Stayed August 2012
Jacksonville Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here for three nights. It is very old, and has next to no amenities. I didn't even have a night stand or a clock. The air conditioner was old and coated with dust, TV is a small 19" on a stand that was also coated with dust, shower is rusty. There is no luggage rack of any sort (used a chair), and no place to put your stuff in the bathroom. The sheets were clean as was the toilet and sink. The edge of the carpet all along the baseboard looked filthy. They provided free coffee and a continental breakfast in the the foyer on Saturday and Sunday. No clerks though. We also received no maid service on Sunday and had to negotiate the price of the room down to a fair amount. They were charging about $100 a night (with tax). The Oakwood is the only game in town so I guess they get away with it. My advice is to find another town.

• Stayed August 2012
Dedham, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2012

I had a really great experience staying here about 3 weeks ago. I needed a place to stay while in town for a 50th wedding anniversary. I wanted to stay only 1 night, and it was a saturday night. Since it is summer in Maine, I was worried that there would be a 2 or 3 night minimun, but when I called the Inn to inquire, I was told no problem to only stay 1 night. The woman on the phone was delightful, I wish I could remember her name. She booked a room for me and my spouse, and asked if I had AAA, or any other membership that would qualify me for a discount. I said no, and she said "well, I'll give you 10% off anyways!" So nice!!! As we got closer to the date, my mother decided to come with us for the party. I happened to be in town (we have family in the area) the weekend before the party, so I stopped in the office to see if we could get a bigger room. The woman at the desk was completely accomodating, and found us a larger room with 2 bedrooms, and the price was still only about $30 more than the 1 bedroom!

The room was perfect - literally just 2 bedrooms and 1 bath, but there was a door between the 2 bedrooms for privacy. Each bedroom had a TV. Everything was clean, and worked fine. There was also a small fridge and microwave in the room. The room was older, so I don't want to give a false impression that this is a luxury place or anything like that. But if you want a clean, pleasant place to stay, you will not be disappointed. I can't say enough about the staff, they were so unbelievably friendly and helpful, they really classed the place up. I would stay here again in a heartbeat.

I gave this 4 stars, because it was affordable and pleassant. Again, it's older and you can tell it hasn't been updated in awhile (small tv's, etc) but it's perfect for my needs!

Thanks to the staff for all of their help!!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

Been to Oakwood Inn Town Motel? Share your experiences!