“Rockport Diner is blah” 1 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #14 of 21 Restaurants in Rockport
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children
Description: The Rockport Diner family restaurant has been around since 1985. Serving the best local food with budget friendly prices. We have amazing food & atmosphere. We are open for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. You offer dine in and take out. Stop in and try us out, we hope to be one of your new favorite family restaurant.
ME
“Rockport Diner is blah”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2014

Very disappointed at the Rockport Diner. The food was cold. The waitress had no personality. My Brother had a piece of wire on his plate. Thank goodness someone saw it before it was covered with ketchup and was eaten. No mention was made to make this right. We will not be going back.

• Visited February 2014
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
TheRockportDiner, Owner at Rockport Diner Family Restaurant, responded to this review, March 2, 2014
I am so sorry you had a bad experience at my restaurant. The wire could only have come from the fryolator basket and is totally unacceptable. I also apologize for the lack of concern from staff and cold food. Customer service is important to us! Thank you for letting me know your concerns and please stop by so I can meet you and work this out.

brown-town me
“Good and quick service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013

AS long as you get the specials it's not to pricey the staff is friendly and food is good, Portions a bit above average but sometimes the kitchen staff and owner mill around dinning area and it looks unprofesional. Waitresses should have a dress coed uniform.

Visited October 2013
“Great Food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013 via mobile

Their omelets are outstanding and the wait staff is incredible. I frequent this establishment at least once a week and will continue to do so....Great job!!!

• Visited August 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Frisco, Texas
“The Rockport Diner Rocks!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

We were in Rockport for 2 weeks in June. We ate lunch every weekday that we were there as well as eating there twice for breakfast. The ladies who work there are some of the friendliest people around!! We always felt welcome! The food was always great. My husband said their burgers are some of the best he's ever had. I particularly loved the chicken salad sandwich and the pancakes! We got take-out twice for picnics, and they didn't disappoint. The portions are huge and filling! Their desserts are awesome, and I even bought a loaf of bread from them for our rent house. We miss everybody there, & we can't wait to go back the next time we visit Rockport!!

• Visited June 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Rockport, Maine
“An epic failure of a lunch, the final visit for me...”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

I've had spotty food and service here before, some days it's ok, some days not. Breakfast is usually edible but not great. Today was the most epic lunch fail I've had in a long, long time and it will be my last visit to the Rockport Diner - which is a shame because it's a local place and very convenient to the office.

I ordered one of the daily specials and a cup of coffee. The special was a ham and cheese melt with french onion soup, which sounded good on a damp gray day.

The coffee was weak and bitter, as usual. But I figured I'd been going to the local coffee shop so much I must have spoiled myself so I just added more cream and sugar.

Then lunch came. The french onion soup was in a little shot glass sized bowl. No crouton, no cheese. Just the mini soup and a packet of saltines. The ham sandwich was not a melt, but a sub or sorts, with lettuce (big huge stems of romaine) and tomatoes (best part of the meal) with wet, cold lunch meat right out of the fridge. All on a bun that was stale on top and falling apart on the bottom where it had been soaking up spilled soup.

I was really hungry so I ate it anyway. And I was still hungry and unsatisfied when the waitress came back and asked about dessert. Remembering one time years ago when I had had a passable slice of pie, I rolled the dice on the apple crisp and asked for ice cream on top.

Out came another shot glass, this time filled with some sort of apple pie filling (assuming from straight out of the food service can - at least that's what it tasted like) and some mushy oatmeally type of topping. Steaming on the outer 1/2" from it's quick visit to the microwave, and cold on the inside. Not a crisp of any sort could be detected anywhere in the dish. The mini ice cream scoop on top was tasty, although frozen so hard I couldn't scoop it with the spoon.

So after all that, I was disappointed but figured I should have stuck to a burger and fries so shame on me. At least that's how I felt until I got the bill, and a brutal $16.32 later I was stunned by the scope of the epic failure.

Lunch 'Special' $7.95
Weak & Bitter Coffee $1.30
Shot glass of apple mush $4.50
Ice cream mini scoop $1.50
State of Maine tax $1.07

I won't be back, I suggest you avoid it as well. If you do go stick to breakfast basics or a hamburger.

• Visited April 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
TheRockportDiner, Owner at Rockport Diner Family Restaurant, responded to this review, April 21, 2013
Thank-you for your feed back concerning your lunch at the Rockport Diner. I'm sorry your expectations were not met. The lunch special was a cup of soup. We do offer a large bowl of soup for purchase. You didn't mention that you communicated your dissatisfaction with the staff or management. We would have generously tried to accomodate you in any way possible.