“A beautiful location with excellent food and a very comfortable room.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Samoset Resort On The Ocean

Save Saved
You added Samoset Resort On The Ocean to your Saves list
Samoset Resort On The Ocean
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   220 Warrenton Street, Rockport, ME 04856   |
Ranked #4 of 10 hotels in Rockport
NYC
“A beautiful location with excellent food and a very comfortable room.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013 via mobile

The resort is a wonderful retreat for anyone looking to decompress from a hectic lifestyle. Although it is tucked away in Rockport, the quaint town surrounding the resort is wonferful to explore. You can't go wrong.

• Stayed April 2013
Connie R, General Manager at Samoset Resort On The Ocean, responded to this review, October 26, 2013
Dear S. R,

I am pleased you enjoyed a relaxing retreat to unwind from the pressures of a hectic lifestyle. I appreciate the time taken to complement our views, cuisine, and accommodations. Exploring the surrounding towns of Rockland, Rockport, and Camden as they have so much to offer and can be such a treat; I am pleased you were able to enjoy them. We look forward to your next visit and recommend many more trips for decompressing.

624 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (184)
Exeter, NH
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

We have stayed previously at the Samoset, and always had a great experience, but this particular visit was by far, the best, and the most relaxing.......

We stayed in one of the two bedroom cottages, right on the ocean and golf course. I would highly recommend a stay here if you are looking for a peaceful and relaxing place to unwind for a few days.

Sitting on the porch, you would have no idea there was a large resort hotel on the property. The quiet and peaceful cottages on the property allow you the best of both worlds.....a private cottage on the Maine coast, complete with the benefits of a resort property.

The cottages are completely furnished, modern in every way, and decorated in such as way that you instantly feel comfortable just plopping down in the living room complete with a fireplace, or lounging around the grounds. A full kitchen made for a great opportunity to make breakfast without ever having to leave the cottage. Room service for meals and drinks we didn't want to prepare ourselves, seemed almost instantaneously delivered. As always, the food at the Samoset is varied and great, along with the rest of the accommodations, including the new pool area.

But the front porch, is by far, the best room in the cottage.

Having the opportunity to experience the solitude of the cottages, overlooking the golf course and Rockland harbor made this a truly unique experience, that I have never found before on a resort property. Usually to have this experience, you also have to be prepared to be "roughing it" a bit more in the state of Maine, but not here.

Three days in these cottages, and you will leave in a completely different frame of mind.

I would highly recommend the Samoset in any event, but these cottages are something very special....

Room Tip: Pick a cottage on the property.....
Dear RHWanderings,

Thank you for your continue patronage and kind words of your previous experiences. I am very pleased to know this visit was the best and most relaxing you’ve had, so far. I would agree that the Wind Drift Cottage, opened in 2011, has a spectacular combination of design, comfort, and features to provide a unique blend of cottage privacy and resort luxury. Our La Bella Vita in-room dining staff consistently strives for superior efficiency and service, so I am pleased to know that your dinning expectations were continually fulfilled. Our new zero-entry outdoor pool has quickly become a guest favorite for its innovative design and sweeping views, but the view of the Rockland Breakwater from the screened porch is unmatched elsewhere. I am glad you didn’t find anything “rough” about your cottage or stay with us and we look forward to continually raising the bar each time you visit!

middle sackville,N.S.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

As a first time traveler to the Samoset in June we decided to spend a few days at the end of summer for a little relaxation. In June we rented a time share which we were extremely happy with. This time we stayed two nights in the hotel.We were not disappointed. The rooms are large and well appointed. The furnishings depict the time period in which the hotel was built. Beds are comfy, lots of space to move around and the keurig coffee maker in the room is a great bonus.
The staff at the resort are very helpful and friendly. If you are looking for a place to visit that has great scenery, a resort feel and all the amenities this is a great place to stay.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Dear Cathy L,

Thank you for returning to The Samoset Resort again this summer! I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed both the timeshare and hotel accommodations during your visits. Thank you for you complements of our spacious rooms, amenities, sweeping views, and friendly staff. We look forward to hosting you and your family again!

Scottsdale, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

We were very impressed with the Samoset Resort during a recent stay. Had visited several years ago, however the improvements to the rooms and facilities will have us anxious to return. The golf course is in excellent condition and worth what some would consider expensive. The dining facilities are very load with average food. There are several wonderful restaurants close to the resort.

Room Tip: The rooms 222 and 223 have great ocean and golf course views.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Dear Bill V,

Thank you for returning to the Samoset and taking the time to share that the renovations have been successful in fulfilling your expectations and making you anxious to return. I am glad you enjoyed the golf course thoroughly, and apologize that the same satisfaction wasn’t found in our restaurant. I have provided your feedback of the noise and cuisine to our Food & Beverage Director for his consideration. We are also anxious for you to return for another weekend with your family soon!

Natick, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

Our children gave us an inclusive two night stay at the Samoset Resort in Maine. It was one of our best vacations ever. The ocean setting is gorgeous, the staff was friendly and helpful, the food was excellent as were the rooms. Plus I must mention the golf course and pool as perfect.

Room Tip: Select an ocean view for seeing the Atlantic, the golf course, plus the rising sun and moon in the e...
Dear Robert988,

Thank you to your children for sending you on an Anniversary Get-A-Way to the Samoset Resort! We love to help our guests build memories while celebrating those special moments in life, and we’re pleased to be ranked among the best in your vacation experiences. Your kind words of our oceanic views, friendly staff, golf course, pool, and La Bella Vita cuisine are greatly appreciated. We hope your children send you to our resort for many more anniversaries to come!

Pennington, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

You can tell from the title of this review where my priorities lie! Seriously, this is a wonderful hotel! Huge rooms, fabulous views of the bay, excellent food, delightful infinity pool even if it is a bit chilly in July, super clean - just a mid-coast classic! The bed and pillows were so comfortable, I did not want to leave in the morning and returning to bed in the evening was like sinking back into heaven! Samoset is a one of a kind place that just keeps getting better.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Dear Laurie K,

Thank you so much for bringing your family to The Samoset Resort this past July. I am very pleased you enjoyed our Englander “Plush” beds and down pillows so much it was hard to leave! We appreciate your complements of our views, food, and zero-entry outdoor pool, as well as the continuous renovations and improvements. We’re holding a bed open just for you, so make your next visit soon!

Portland, Maine
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

This was our first time to the Samoset; I had heard people talk about the Resort like it was the greatest thing since sliced bread...not so much.

I'm from Maine, born and raised and I was embarrassed by how some of the guests including me were treated at the front desk when we checked in, the woman at the front desk was very patronizing and made me feel like I wasn't worth the money to be there. I'm sorry that I'm not worth a million dollars or that I didn't book a room for a week or that I wanted to spend 2 peaceful days in a hotel with my fiancé for my birthday, I wasn't dressed to the nines I mean I looked a little worn down I won’t lie, but you can't treat guests like they aren't worth your time just because they look a certain way etc. You should great them all with a smile on your face regardless of appearance, I overall felt I wasn't good enough to stay there.

The smell of the room when we walked in was appalling, it wreaked of mold/mildew (I understand it was at the ground level and that we are on the ocean) however, if you are claiming to be a resort making sure your rooms are pleasant on all level is a must…I would have rather had someone smoke in it just to get the smell out, this is odd I know but we always check one thing in our rooms wherever we go and that’s faucet in the bathroom, my fiancé drinks a lot of water so making sure the faucet where the water is coming from is clean, this one not so much we took it off and soaked it and replaced it before we left…I guess it was some piece of mind for us so the next person could have clean water. My fiancé came into the bathroom our first night and said “look what I found behind the TV stand” I looked and it was a razor blade, I advised him to save it but he threw it away, not a big deal to us BUT what if it was a little one that found it…I can’t imagine. Also there was some sort of sticky brown substance on the walls like a soda can had exploded it was also in the bedside table all over the phone book. I would say rooms need to be THUROUGHLY checked over before the check-in of a new patron.

The restaurant left a lot to be desired, the menu was completely lacking and not simple at all, the wait and host staff need some MAJOR training on restaurant etiquette. It is nothing more than a glorified Olive Garden at a college frat party; we ended up going to a local restaurant that was much better...

We had more fun sight-seeing thru Rockport/Rockland and Port Clyde than staying at the actual 'resort'

I'm sure if you look the part you would enjoy your stay so make sure you dress like you are worth a lot of money rent a Mercedes, don’t smile at anyone and you'll fit right in.

One positive - the Bellman was a sweetheart I wish I could remember his name but it escapes me. He was the first staff member to actually ask me where I was from and what brought me to the resort, he asked me what we were into for fun and when i told him mountain biking he immediately told me of some nice trails that we utilized the day we checked out.

Will probably not be back to this hotel, but definitely coming back to Rockport.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Connie R, General Manager at Samoset Resort On The Ocean, responded to this review, September 12, 2013
Dear KTMax8806

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at the Samoset. I was pleased to read our bellman made you feel welcome and you enjoyed Rockport, Rockland, and Port Clyde. There are many wonderful adventures to be found when exploring these areas. I hope you had a chance to see some of them while you were mountain biking.
It is difficult for me to imagine our team behaving the way you described in your review. Our front desk associates, including myself, are all Mainers “born and bred”. Many of our hardworking staff throughout the resort live with the challenges of working multiple jobs in a seasonal area. One of our front desk associates actually takes a ferry from the island of Vinalhaven to get to work every day. We are a hardworking, honest, kind, and helpful team. We pride ourselves on making all our guests feel welcome and appreciated for their patronage. Our guests come from all over the world and while we do appreciate everyone who walks through our doors, “our” Mainers hold a special place for us when they come to visit our beautiful resort in our home state. It is unfathomable to me that your statement “I felt I wasn’t good enough to stay there” is related to our staff’s treatment of you during your visit, but I want you to know that we truly didn’t feel that way.
Unfortunately we were unaware of the issues you discovered in your room. We would have been happy to address them immediately or even move you to a more suitable room if we had known about your concerns. We do use a rigorous and thorough cleaning protocol and supervisor inspection before releasing any rooms to be used by our guests and it sounds like we failed in this instance. Without specific information about the behavior you referenced in the restaurant it will be difficult to follow up with the individuals involved, but please be assured that I have shared your comments with our Food & Beverage Director and his staff to make sure any “frat party” behavior is not tolerated.
I hope you will change your mind about coming back to visit us in the future. We would look forward to seeing you again.

Best Regards,

Been to Samoset Resort On The Ocean? Share your experiences!