“Will not return” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Rockland
Charleston, Illinois
“Will not return”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

Although the Rockland Chamber assured us that this hotel was nice and clean and had a lovely water view I do not recommend it.
The staff was nice and friendly but the hotel is tired and in need of much updating although they told us they are in the process of renovating. The carpet was filthy, the air conditioning did not work properly and the beds smell of mold.
The sink drain did not work well and the toilet needed to be replaced.
The balcony overlooked a dock area but the water was pretty far away to be called a water view,
Thank goodness we arrived late and did not have to spend much time in the room.

Room Tip: Go to another hotel.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Evansville, Indiana, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013

. No cars in the lot for a nice location on the bay. We had looked at the website, booked it. We try to stay away from chain hotels a little. Upon arrival we looked at the room but wouldn't stay. It was dark and dingy, a bit like the basement. They offered us a different room on the next floor up, but the whole place had a neglected air!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Cobourg, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

Stayed in a ground floor room for one night. The room was very old, dirty and dated but the bed was ok and the breakfast was good. The location is great as it is right on the main street and on the harbor.

Room Tip: Bypass this motel and go onto Glen's cove just down the road.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Minneapolis, Minnesota
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

Stayed for 3 nights because we were there for a family reunion and everyone stayed there. One of the couples found dirty lingerie in their bed upon arrival...UGH! We had two double beds, one rock hard and the other super soft but also sagging in the middle. Our smoke alarm battery started chirping in the middle of the night indicating it needed a new battery. Nice little continental breakfast and friendly staff but that's about it. The building had lots of glass in the parking lot as you walked around it. Decent price and across the street from the ferry...also very close to cute little downtown Rockland. That's about it. Needs renovation/overhaul and good cleaning staff.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

The hotel is well located across the street from the harbor and each room has a balcony looking towards the water. That's about all it has going for it. The rooms seem old and are not in the best shape. Bathrooms especially. I'm not upset with it but I think I'd find a different place next time.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Bonita, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

Checked into this ultimate tourist trap one spring night around 10 PM. Showered and went to sleep. Around 1 AM a party erupted in the next room. Called the desk and asked if they could quiet them down or move me. This is actually what the desk clerk said,"Sorry, that room belongs to the house band. They need some time to decompress." I told the clerk that this was unbelieveable and that I would be leaving and checking into another motel. He sais, , "OK< sorry, sir". I stopped by the office on my way out and he said that he had credited my card.
Next month, their charges appeared with no credit. I called the motel and spoke with the manager. The Manager. He told me that I had stayed in the room and they would not, under any circumstances refund my money. I refused to pay my credit card bill for this charge and cancelled the card. The charge remains on my credit report and will remain there until some irate customer burns the place down.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
AimeeHunt, Owner at Navigator Motor Inn, responded to this review, May 13, 2013
I find this review very strange. I am trying to figure out why this review was written a year after your stay with us. We are a seasonal property opened from the end of June to October and many things with your review don't add up. We do not and never have had a "house band" You also stated you stopped by the office on your way out. Our office is only open until 10pm and locked down. May I ask why you didn't write a letter of complaint or call myself, the owner? Your comment about an "irate customer burns the place down" is very disturbing to me. I never received a credit card dispute from your credit card company. Why?
Big Bear Lake, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

We stay at this inn for about a week every time we visit Rockland, which is at least once or twice a year (We used to stay at the local Bed and Breakfast inns, which were wonderful, but can be a bit pricey for week-long stays). For the price, you get a clean room, great customer service and a nice little breakfast waiting for you. The location is great, too-- right in the downtown and across the street from the harbor. The parking is plentiful as well. I've never had a problem with the inn staff. Whenever I needed something (like extra towels, etc), they responded quickly. Definitely ask for a balcony room-- great view of the ocean! The Navigator Inn shuts down during the Fall and Winter seasons, but its sister inn down the street, Tradewinds Motor Inn, is open year-round. We stayed there last October, and were very pleased there as well.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business

Been to Navigator Motor Inn? Share your experiences!