“Fabulous with one exception” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Primo is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #5 of 79 Restaurants in Rockland
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Italian, Mediterranean
Good for: Entertaining clients, Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dessert, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Description: Italian and Mediterranean inspired menu...James Beard Award winning Chef Melissa Kelly prepares Farm to Table Cuisine in a restored farmhouse. 4 Acres of kitchen gardens, heritage pigs & chickens supply the restaurant with the freshest ingredients. Primo is both a gem to our local clientele as well as a culinary destination for food lovers in search of casually elegant dining. Supporting local and sustainable farms & businesses. Creative & seasonal cocktails, artisanal breads, handmade pastas, gelato and much more. Sundays and Thursdays come for $1 oyster night at the bar or join us for our small plates menu at our new Antipasti Counter. WE HAVE 40-50 SEATS AVAILABLE FOR GUESTS DROPPING IN WITHOUT RESERVATIONS.....THERE IS ALWAYS A PLACE !!! Private Salon on the second floor for up to 14 guests or reserve one of the original parlor rooms. Make a reservation or feel free to drop in to our lounge area.
Boston
“Fabulous with one exception”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

We were staying in Camden and had reservations at Primo, just a 10 minute drive away. Arrive early and take a stroll around the gardens and farms - beautiful setting. We had a cocktail at the upstairs bar and a few small bites - absolutely excellent fresh quality and wonderful tastes.

Once seated for dinner, we were really impressed by the ambiance and wonderful staff. The menu was, shall I say, amazing. Most all ingredients are local if not from their own fields/ barns and combined the culinary creativity and skill of their chef, the evening looked promising.

My wife ordered a seafood dish and I the pork. Carol's dish was beautifully plated and succulent. My dish was beautiful yet when I took my first mouthful, I got nothing but pure white fat. Inedible. I tried another piece - more fat - no meat. Our server came by to see how we were doing and I showed her my dish, now covered with 4 slabs of fat and very little in the way of meat. Her response was that this is grass fed pork and that's the way it is. I asked if other people liked fat and she said that the chef loved it.

Sadly for me, this was just not a good experience. Every other detail was fabulous so I would absolutely recommend Primo but.....don't order the pork. With that much fat on the bone I suspect the animal had more in his diet than grass.

• 3 of 5 stars Food

• Korean first
Boston
“Worth it!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012

The food and atmosphere were amazing. The menu and service is well thought out with nothing to be desired.

Fairfield, Connecticut
“Special”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

This is a must do when in the Rockland area. Everything about it was outstanding.
Parking can be a bit of an adventure, but the food is to die for. Try anything. You won't be disappointed. However, it is for special celebrations.

marco island, FL
“Amazing food and ambiance!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012

Food was so fresh and delicious, and different. Had the charcuterie appetizer and the duck and cannoli for dessert. Cant wait to return here next year! Server was very pleasant.

Santa Cruz
“When Nor'easterly Blow..”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012

That seems to be the time to go to Primo. The only restaurant in Maine with sufficing dimension, it's impossible to park in a bulging parking lot and stay dry getting in to safe haven, as others have the same deep gnawing hunger that drives you to this doorway, winds and rain beating upon your humble selves, suddenly in, you are in a cavern of a New York restaurant lost on the coast of Maine, civility reigns as room after room of patrons are seen immersed in the delectation of the palate. I run upstairs to the barroom hoping for three things, a empty chair, a cocktail to pave the way for dinner, and a surprise conversation from a neighbor, who is usually, or was on my last rainstorm visit 2 nights ago, from away. Here, it is like a church of eating, like kneeling at the altar, 'how is your wafer' (lol), -definitely a revelation passed with a deep inhaling of red wine. Enough said, I like to sink-in here regularly but time, money, travel keep me at a distance. I had pork stuffed olives and a margarita, not the best combo, next time dark rum on the rocks..., and more pig balls. yum. My plate of pasta was unique, not as hot as the blow outside required but this exotic pasta wrapped egg yolks (nova de ravioli), if cooked too hot would be defeated by hard cooked yolks that don't meld into the vegetables and sauce. Many items are so complex and divine, that one longs to see an occasional appearance of the chef, and without that, applause remains silent in the knowing glances from guests & service, when then after eating, a conversation jumps out like a freight train to my blind ear, 'what did you think of the debate'....hmmm, well now. Lastly, the roar can be distressing here, for this nearly deaf reviewer, as the items of the day are so lengthy that without a reading list the scrumptious are lost in the air, -I'll grab the reading notes from the bartender next time..

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere