“Uneven - but they try harder!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Trade Winds Motor Inn

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Rockland
Trade Winds Motor Inn
2 Park Dr, Rockland, ME 04841   |
Ranked #1 of 2 hotels in Rockland
Scottsdale, Arizona USA
“Uneven - but they try harder!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013

I didn't want to pay much for a room so got their cheapest - which is no view, double bed. It's November, cold, and so dark right now I don't care about the view. But the room truly was bad for the money. Ancient furniture, poorly set up, tiny room. Now I don't care how small or viewless a room is if it's clean and well-appointed. Eventually I complained and the front desk was quite understanding and accommodating. An upgrade to a renovated room made my day! Many of the rooms are updated nicely and here's hoping those little ones get done soon too!

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

125 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Rockland, Maine
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

HORRIBLE! Although they were almost empty, I was given a room in a remote, dingy location overlooking a back parking lot. The one pillow was as old and flat as the matted gray carpeting. This place has not been uppated since the '60's or '70's. The mattress and bedding were easily that old. Old tv, furniture, walls and ceiling.Tiny, tiny bathroom It was the worst place in the U.S. I have ever stayed in. It looks fine from the outside and it looks like there should be nice rooms - but don't be fooled. If I had not prepaid and arrived so late at night, I would definitely have left. Thank goodness it was only one night.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Overland Park, Kansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013

We celebrated my father's 80th birthday in Rockland, Maine and stayed at the Trade Winds Motor Inn for a full week. We had rooms to accommodate the entire family, siblings, spouses, kids and grand kids. The staff was wonderful - attentive and always willing to help out. The facility has maintained its rustic charm on the outside but is fully renovated inside and is not only comfortable but modern and current. Walking distance to all of the local shops and restaurants - a can't miss hidden gem on the coast of Maine.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
East Wareham, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2013

I find myself in Rockland, Maine annually in the fall as a jumping off point for a trek to the island of Vinalhaven. For the past 10 years or so, I would stay at a campground nearby. This year, however deciding to seek different accomodations, opted to make my stay at the Tradewinds. This place was just great, offering a fine room, fantastic view, and friendly staff. In adddition, Tradewinds is so located in the downtown Rockland area that access to fine dining, diverse shops, and the flavor of Maine is all around .

No more camping for me; it's The Tradewinds from now on.

Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
maine
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

1st time staying in downtown Rockland, chose the Trade Winds for the overall location and water view. Our room was quite large and had the requested balcony, but it was located directly next to the 4th floor observation deck, so the view was a lot more obstructed than I had hoped for. I suppose half a view is better than none. From the 4th floor we could see into the harbor, and we were high enough to avoid road and parking lot noise. The Trade Winds does present as generally older and somewhat run down, but our room was clean, the bed comfortable, and we had extra windows for light due to the corner location. Continental breakfast was the very basics but adequate to the task. Our AARP discount made the price a bit more bearable but I still think it was high. Would we go again? We may go back during the winter when the prices are lower for 2 nights and try to get a balcony suite. Nothing fancy but adequate and it covers the bases. The restaurant on site is a nice touch. Will explore the pool and fitness center next time as well.

Room Tip: Ask questions when you book. Tell them exactly what your expectations are.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Chester
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

Granted this is an older hotel, but I found it to by quite charming and the location was wonderful! Our harbor view room had a balcony with a perfect view of the full moon rising over the Rockland Harbor and the Breakwater Light. The double-bedded room was clean and comfortable, and we were even able to sleep with the sliding glass door open to enjoy the fresh air. Morning brought an amazing sunrise over the harbor that we were able to enjoy from the comfort of our room. The staff at the Trade Winds was friendly and helpful, especially one young lady at the front desk who answered all of our many questions and really went out of her way to assist. I would not hesitate to stay here again. The hotel is also directly across the street from the Maine Lighthouse Museum which is a must-visit for anyone interested in lighthouse and maritime history.

Room Tip: 4th floor balcony rooms have a great view!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Cleveland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013

This place was tiny, old everything, mold in the bathroom and just generally gross. Way overpriced and just plain gross. NEVER EVER again.....
No amenities, expensive and nothing updated. They have incredible nerve charging what they charge for the product they provide. Terrible!

Room Tip: don"t go!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business

Been to Trade Winds Motor Inn? Share your experiences!