“Perfect sunset sail” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Portland Schooner Co.

Portland Schooner Co.
Maine State Pier, 56 Commercial Street, Portland, ME 04101
207-766-2500
Website
Improve this listing
Certificate of Excellence 2014
More attraction details
Owner description: Sail with us on an authentic sailing vessel steeped in history - and have the experience of a lifetime. Bagheera and Wendameen provide the perfect vantage point to enjoy some of Maine's most beautiful sights and sounds - from the deck of a storied wooden schooner built in the early 20th century. For an afternoon, a day, or an overnight windjammer adventure, from Portland Harbor through the pristine waters of Casco Bay and beyond, refresh your spirit and excite your soul with an unforgettable sail reminiscent of a simpler time.
4 attraction reviews
“Perfect sunset sail”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

Liked the "real sailing" experience and the excellent condition of the ship. Experience was greatly facilitated by perfect weather.. clear, dry, nice wind. Parking can be difficult.

Visited September 2013

Maine
3 attraction reviews
“Fantastic afternoon sail”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

Living in the Greater Portland area, I don't often take the time to do the touristy things that bring outsiders to Maine. This summer I decided to change that and look at home from a tourist perspective, and boy, am I glad I did!

My son came home for a short visit and we took an afternoon sail on the schooner, Bagheera, on one of Portland Schooner Company's 2 schooners sailing on Casco Bay.

To begin with, there is no more beautiful spot on earth than Casco Bay, and can really only be truly appreciated from the water.

The wind was brisk, the crew outstanding--very friendly and skilled- and our sail was much more fun than the sedate afternoon cruise we expected. Sails were taut, the boat heeled over to the rail, and she flew through the water with grace and elegance that brought joy to my heart reminiscent of sailing with my dad on our smaller schooner so long ago. The weather was perfect, the views spectacular. Portland Head Light from the water is gorgeous.

Our crew really demonstrated their expertise when a cooler top flew into the water unexpectedly, and they maneuvered the boat on a dime, tacking back and forth with effortless grace until the errant plastic could be retrieved from the bay.

All in all, a great day!

Visited July 2013
Washington, Pennsylvania
21 attraction reviews
“My first sail ever!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013

This was one of the highlights of my vacation. I had never sailed before and was really excited about getting out on the Casco Bay. They allow you to bring your own food and drink including alcohol which makes for a great day out on the water. The weather was perfect the day we went out and the bay was fairly smooth. I was amazed by the two woman crew and the fact that they could hoist the sails and stand throughout the trip and in flip flops no less! They were even great when the kids "helped" them hoist the sails. Parking for this was a pain, the parking garage was full the entire day, but we found a day lot a few blocks down that gave us a great excuse to window shop and stop for dinner and Ice Cream after the sail. I would recommend this to anyone spending time downtown, it's very reasonably priced for two hours on the water. I'd love to go again for the sunset cruise this time.

Vermont
18 attraction reviews
“Great Sail & Staff, Beautiful Boat!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

We recently were on-board the Bagheera for my bridal shower sail! My only complaint is that it went by too quickly. The boat was beautiful, and I was encouraged to help hoist the sails. The crew-members were fun and had lots of information to share.

The best part is that you can bring drinks and snacks aboard. (There's a bathroom onboard, too.)

Great activity in Portland to get you on the water on a floating historic monument. Highly recommended!

New Hope, Pennsylvania
6 attraction reviews
“Mixed Review”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

We went on a sunset sail as a family. It was a privilege to sail on such a historic boat. It was terrific to watch the crew, and one of our kids even helped raise the sails. On the other hand, there were two groups on the boat who had little interest in the sailing experience and much more in drinking and partying. I wish we had not brought our kids along. While we could handle the overindulgence in alcohol, the foul language from these two groups was another story. It was not appropriate and really marred our experience. Perhaps we should have realized that a sunset sail meant party time...Or perhaps the groups should have been separated with families on one of the boats and the partiers on the other.