“Excellent Meal” 4 of 5 stars

Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #7 of 540 Restaurants in Portland
Cuisines: Thai, Vegetarian
Good for: Families with children, Doing business, Local cuisine, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Takeout, Dessert
Description: Asian-inspired cuisine made with love.
Boston, Massachusetts
“Excellent Meal”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

This place was great! We ordered the Tofu Tikka Masala and Cauliflower special, good portions for the price and both were delicious!! Nice flavors but not overpowering, not very spicy. The whole menu was vegan friendly. Service was nice and friendly. I ordered the tutti frutti tea and I wasn't that impressed but otherwise I would highly recommend this place.

Ithaca, New York
“Truly Delicious”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

My partner and I ordered the Tikka Masala and Peanut Curry, and they were both wonderful. The flavors were both bold and complex. The service was very friendly, and the decor was very appealing, if a bit tight. It was a great meal, and I would not hesitate to go back if I am ever in Portland again.

Scarborough, Maine
“Dismayed!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

We have heard so many wonderful things about this restaurant. But last evening we took two friends who are vegetarians to this restaurant and were very disappointed. The service was fine, the wine was good, but the food was less than mediocre.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Rockport, Maine
“Amazing Brussels Sprouts (did I really say that?)”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

What a pleasure to be able to consider all the items on a full menu, because they're all vegetarian (not to mention mostly vegan). My wife ordered the Brussels sprouts, and I gamely said I'd try one. Well, I probably ended up eating half of them - they were truly amazing, not a word I ever thought I'd use in reference to that particular vegetable. Sweet, slightly crispy, addictive. Turns out they've actually published the recipe in a Portland restaurant cookbook. Our main course items were variations on vegetable stir fry, my spicy one just the right heat (I asked for very hot) and her peanut sauce one very tasty. The prices were far more reasonable than I would have expected for such great food.

Boston, MA
“Asian-inspired but not the same as Asian-run veg restaurants”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

I was expecting a vegetarian Asian run mock-meat restaurant in the same vein as Grasshopper or My Thai in Boston. Green Elephant is a nice vegetarian restaurant a bit more upscale than your typical mock-meat place, with some strong Asian-inspired dishes (peanut curry) and some weaker misses (crispy wontons filled with spinach and....cheese). If an all-vegetarian place is a novelty to you, by all means, sit and enjoy a restaurant where you can safely order anything off the menu. Service was both officious and flaky. Wine was a bit pricy for a small pour. Having tried it once and liking the food well enough, I doubt we'd try it again if in the area.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere