“Good stay! You have to shorten this as I really have no...” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Ramada Plaza Portland

You added Ramada Plaza Portland to your Saves list
Ramada Plaza Portland
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   155 Riverside Street - I95, Portland, ME 04103 (Formerly Howard Johnson Plaza Portland)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save 15%; Earn 500 Points
Ranked #12 of 18 Hotels in Portland

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
Boston, Massachusetts
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013 via mobile

We booked because it was a three star hotel for cheap, and cheap is all we got! It has a motel feeling to it, the shape, decoration, location, etc. i did not mind that much because we just needed it to spend the night and continue on our awesome little road trip, but if i need to stay in Portland for a couple of days and need to actually spend some awake time at the hotel, I'll stay somewhere else!

Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Clearwater, Florida, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

Fairly close to airport. This hotel has a park and fly program with free shuttle service to and from the hotel-airport. And that was about the only redeeming quality about this hotel. Shuttle was available for me at four am but I had to take a taxi back to airport on my return trip, but the hotel paid the taxi's fare. This was the cheapest best option as far as Portland hotels go. $300 at the Hilton versus about $120 at HoJo. A lot of hotels do not let you park for over a week while you're on vacation, but this HoJo does.

The room...dirty. Smelly. Terrible housekeeping. I woke up with a sore throat because of the smokey-moldy smell I inhaled all night. The bathroom had hairs in the tub, floor, and toilet. There was a used toothpick beside the bed and wall. There was coffee spilled on the box spring. The bed was very uncomfortable and saggy. I was only going to need to sleep but a few hours, otherwise I probably would have woken up with kinks in my neck and back. Carpet was not pleasant to walk on. There was water damage and stains all over the ceiling. I had to leave the balcony door wide open for most of my stay to be able to breathe at all.

TV was decent, private balcony was nice, AC unit was good, hot water worked well.

Overall, I'd rather stay elsewhere. I made a point not to stay the night at this hotel when I returned to Portland.

Season's Grille, an attached restaurant and bar, provided a good meal and great company. The young woman bartender was very friendly and helpful. The hotel provides you with a 20% off coupon for this restaurant.

DO not plan on getting any work done via wifi while you stay there. The wifi is spotty and constantly fails.

Room Tip: If you think you will have trouble carrying your baggage up two to three flights of stairs, then boo...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
MarkHeisler, General Manager at Ramada Plaza Portland, responded to this review, October 16, 2013
Please accept my apologies for the issues you experienced during your stay. I have reviewed the housekeeping deficiencies that you noted with our staff to avoid any similar problems in the future. If you had let the front desk staff know, we would have been happy to change your room to one that was up to our usual standards.
Cambria, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013 via mobile

Tired motel in a strange location w/ strange smells - room size was good but wifi didn't work - front desk directed me to call the "800 #" for help which I did - 30 minutes on the phone to be given a ticket # & told the problem would be resolved the next business day - nice as we were leaving early in the morning.

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Please accept my apologies for the problems that you experienced with the wi-fi during your stay. While our wireless internet system normally works well for our guests, we are in the process of upgrading it to add even more capacity, speed, and reliability. I hope that you will visit again to give it a try. Also, I have contacted the support staff and discussed their response to your call in order to avoid similar issues in the future.

Been to Ramada Plaza Portland? Share your experiences!