“Life savers” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #11 of 18 hotels in Portland
Palm Coast, Florida
“Life savers”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

We were in a tough spot but these nice people helped us out with a nice room. We liked it so much we stopped there again on our way back. Both experiences were very good and we will go back! If you are in the neighborhood and wasn't a nice place to stay this is very good.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

721 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Windsor, Ontario
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

I have traveled quite a bit, been to some places that are pretty bad.
I was travelling on a budget for a workshop and booked a 3-star hotel on Hotwire.... I got the HoJo Portland.
Didn't think much of it, rated a 3 star.....
Got there and soon found out I was very wrong.

It was a nightmare. Stains on the carpet and floors CLEARLY not vacuumed.... then I dared enter the bathroom.
Stains IN the toilet (use your imagination), garnished with a few black short curly hairs . A shower floor stained in brown... thank god the sheets "appeared" clean.

It is now safe to assume I would not be setting foot in this bathroom while here. Fortunately there is a nearby coffee shop.

The next morning I awoke to a pair of massive black spiders and a nat or two.... at this point I'd rather be camping.... at least dirt is natural... who knows where these stains and hairs are from.
I complained to the front desk, they politely assured me a maid would take some extra time.
I came back to a nice note from the manager, the floors vacuumed... I dared to think it might be okay now... not so bad.
WRONG!
I went straight to the bathroom, and as if intentionally , the toilet lid was down and atop lay ANOTHER BLACK SHORT CURLY HAIR!

Naturally I took the financial loss because Hotwire makes you pre-pay, and refuses refunds- and checked into another hotel.

The Hampton Inn- It was like suffering in Hell and being upgraded to the penthouse suite in Heaven. STAY AT THE HAMPTON INN.... NOT Hell's HoJo.

**Photos will also be posted once TripAdvisor fixes the 'add photos' button on the review form. **

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
MarkHeisler, General Manager at Howard Johnson Plaza Portland, responded to this review, October 8, 2013
Please accept my apologies for the housekeeping issues you experienced during your stay. We strive to provide clean, comfortable accommodations for all of our guests, I am sorry that we failed to do so during your stay. We will utilize your comments during our regular housekeeping staff training sessions in an effort to avoid similar issues in the future.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013

I, along with friends, have stayed at this property two summer in a row. For the location with easy access to the Inter-state and amenities, it is a great value. Although an older style property, it is clean and well kept with spacious sized rooms. Amenities include an on site restaurant and another on the lot; there is also an indoor pool and laundry. Since the property has plenty of grass and trees, it was perfect for walking my dog.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Bowling Green, KY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013

We had a good experience with this hotel. No problems what so ever. However, there were other guests that seemed to have problems frequently but for us, it was great. I really liked that we could get breakfast, lunch, and dinner without having to leave the hotel.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Howard Johnson Plaza Portland? Share your experiences!